Is there a lysine/arginine antagonism?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Is there a lysine/arginine antagonism?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Tue May 13, 2014 5:51 am

If I am taking cardio c can that have a negative effect on me also taking arginine supplement?
I read that the two work against each other lysine and arginine
Thank you

Over the years we have been trying to track down the nature of the "antagonism," and if you have any references, I would appreciate them.

I do know that protein foods, e.g. chicken, contain both the amino acids arginine and lysine.

I also know that vitamin C and lysine can rapidly reverse heart disease - without arginine. (This is apparently based on lysine binding sites on the Lp(a) molecule).

I myself tried a high arginine regimen for 3 months last summer, with no apparent result - one way or the other. I personally think of arginine for helping dilate the arteries, not reversing heart disease.

But as far as the "antagonism" the best explanation I've heard (at a trade show) was action inside the cell - at the level of the DNA. Supposedly the reason than lysine can help fight viruses is it causes DNA to coil, and argnine to uncoil. Don't know if this is true, but there does seem to be an interaction visa vis viral infection.

I do not know of any negative reaction fighting chronic scurvy - aka heart disease.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Is there a lysine/arginine antagonism?

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Tue May 13, 2014 10:31 am

Owen,
Thank you for responding.
I was reviewing information on the internet yesterday in regards to arginine and citriline as to taking them together.
While I was doing that I stumbled onto articles that said that lysine and arginine use the same pathways and shouldn’t be taken together because I guess they lessen The effect or one or both. I like yourself use arginine for dilation for heart health and workouts, but I am mainly concerned with reduction of aterial plaque.
If the vitamin c is proven then I will keep using your program and either not take arginie or take it hours later so there is not interaction.
Thank you.

Vitamin C for arterial health - and lysine for prevention and reduction of atherosclerosis.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

weldo

Post Number:#3  Post by weldo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 pm

This thread interests me. My naturopath, who is generally supportive of the Pauling Therapy, mentioned her concern that "lysine inhibits arginine" - a strong vasco dilator and increases production of nitric oxide. So, I would obviously NOT want to reduce arginine in my system! Owen are you saying that research the "lysine inhibits arginine" is not convincing?

purposefirst
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by purposefirst » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Weldo,
I started Pauling Therapy (10-12 gms vit C, 6 gms lysine, 1 gm proline, per day) 9 months ago and added arginine (2-3 gms/day) 8 months ago.
I've had good steady improvement in my coronary atherosclerosis, as evidenced by almost complete disappearance of angina at this point in time. I do fairly advanced aerobics and weightlifting regularly (although I'm 73) which benefits and also serves as a way of monitoring progress. My doc is amazed at my progress.

So I would say it is unlikely that there is antagonism between lysine and arginine.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 am

Thank you purposefirst for the report, as that would be my expectation - that adding arginine would probably benefit and not "antagonize" lysine.

As per factoids, http://vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11457&p=36996&hilit=muscle+and+arginine#p36996 people on weight loss diets usually lose muscle - and arginine supplement completely blocks this muscle depletion effect.

I see no problem adding arginine, but I don't believe that it can substitute for lysine (or proline) w/r to heart disease and Lp(a) binding.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

weldo

Post Number:#6  Post by weldo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks for the responses.
I think her point is that taking lysine can inhibit the production/reduce efficacy of arginine that is naturally produced by the body; not that the two shouldn't be taken together. I have asked her for more information and will keep you posted.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 am

I have personally learned something - thank you! (And that is that arginine, unlike lysine, is only "essential" under certain circumstances (e.g. preterm birth).

Most healthy people do not need to supplement with arginine because their body produces sufficient amounts.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arginine

It is interesting that while there are interactions/pathways between arginine synthesis and glutamine, proline and citrulline.. There is no mention of lysine interaction?

The pathways linking arginine, glutamine, and proline are bidirectional. Thus, the net utilization or production of these amino acids is highly dependent on cell type and developmental stage.

On a whole-body basis, synthesis of arginine occurs principally via the intestinal–renal axis, wherein epithelial cells of the small intestine, which produce citrulline primarily from glutamine and glutamate, collaborate with the proximal tubule cells of the kidney, which extract citrulline from the circulation and convert it to arginine, which is returned to the circulation. As a consequence, impairment of small bowel or renal function can reduce endogenous arginine synthesis, thereby increasing the dietary requirement.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by johnyascorbate » Wed May 27, 2015 9:14 am

I'm taking high doses of arginine(12 grams) along with citrulline(6 grams) everyday, to see if there are any benefits. I am currently not on the pauling therapy. My only concern, since I'm not supplementing with lysine, is that this may cause a lysine deficiency. I've tried searching the literature but have not found any human studies talking about this, only animal studies, and the results are inconsistent. Does anyone at the foundation know for certain if large doses of arginine and citrulline will cause a lysine deficiency? Thanks in advance for your help!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:02 pm

johnyascorbate wrote:I'm taking high doses of arginine(12 grams) along with citrulline(6 grams) everyday, to see if there are any benefits. I am currently not on the pauling therapy. My only concern, since I'm not supplementing with lysine, is that this may cause a lysine deficiency. I've tried searching the literature but have not found any human studies talking about this, only animal studies, and the results are inconsistent. Does anyone at the foundation know for certain if large doses of arginine and citrulline will cause a lysine deficiency? Thanks in advance for your help!

Interesting. Please keep us informed! ( This is something that interests me, but something that I would never advise.)

When you say your are not "on the Pauling Therapy" that means you are not taking lysine, right, not that your are also off vitamin C!? If you stopped vitamin C please check in often :shock:

There are obvious benefits from increased arginine - none of which are likely to reverse existing cardiovascular disease. The basis of the Pauling therapy are the lysine binding sites on the Lp(a) molecule (and later the Proline binding sites that were discovered after Pauling's death at the Univ. of Chicago.) I am unaware of "arginine binding sites" that would allow for the same plaque reversal effects that are seen with vitamin C and lysine (and proline)

As I mentioned at this forum, 2 summers ago, I went through a very high arginine regimen with a local chiropractor - and while I did somewhat better on her "tests" I really didn't notice anything from the experiment. (I continued my lysine)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#10  Post by johnyascorbate » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:09 pm

I've been on the high dose arginine/citrulline for about 9 weeks now. My circulation and blood pressure have improved greatly. I have also struggled with high liver enzymes for 4 years and a blood test about 1 week ago has shown my ALT that has been elevated is now completely normal. Because of this i have no intention of stopping the arginine and citrulline anytime soon. I am still taking vitamin c and I've also added a few grams of lysine, just in case the high doses of arginine decrease lysine. I found this study which does state that arginine is a precursor to proline and a few other things. High doses of Arginine/citrulline can only benefit the body. So far I am very happy with the results. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090123210000573

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:15 am

Thank you for the link. The knowledge (if true) that arginine is precursor to proline is *VELY* interesting :o

I think your regimen is prudent (with the 2 extra grams of lysine).

I am still interested in the "rumor" that there is some kind of basic antagonism between two amino acids (lysine and arginine). The assertion seems questionable given that most protein we eat has the combination of these two amino acids.

FYI, wrote this article on arginine back in 1999 that was edited and published in the Townsend Letter.

http://internetwks.com/owen/arginine.htm

Added. from the link, this is interesting, considering that arginine is also produced endogenously by the kidney.

l-Arginine normally constitutes approximately 5–7% of the amino acid content of a typical healthy adult diet. This accounts to an average intake of 2.5–5 g/day, which only meets the body's minimal requirements for tissue repair, protein synthesis and immune cell maintenance.

Pauling said we needed to get a gram per day of lysine in the diet, and this implies maybe 5 grams of arginine in the diet. So the "natural" ratio may be 5 to 1 arginine to lysine - in our foods. (and this doesn't factor in endogenous production of arginine, while lysine is essential, we cannot make it.)

Where is the antagonism?

and from wikipedia on lysine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine

A food is considered to have sufficient lysine if it has at least 51 mg of lysine per gram of protein (so that the protein is 5.1% lysine).[12
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#12  Post by johnyascorbate » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:26 am

Multiple animal studies have shown an antagonism where large doses of arginine lowered lysine levels. Who knows if that is the case with humans? One other thing that interests me is nitric oxide. I've just started reading Dr. louis Ignarro's book NO MORE HEART DISEASE, and in it he states
“At extraordinarily high concentrations, NO is toxic. These levels, however, cannot be reached through the body’s internal mechanisms for producing NO from either food and supplement intake or from exercise.”
Excerpt From: Louis Ignarro. “NO More Heart Disease.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/R1yax.l
.... However, nitric oxide levels are used as markers of inflammation, and some people do have high levels of nitric oxide. Brain injuries and infections all influence nitric oxide, so supplementing with something like arginine can possibly be a bad thing to do for some people. How is one to know how much nitric oxide they have in their body?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:37 am

Multiple animal studies have shown an antagonism where large doses of arginine lowered lysine levels.

References would be nice and I wonder what the theory is? Arginine "destroys" lysine? Arginine leads to the excretion of lysine? Arginine makes the body require more lysine?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#14  Post by johnyascorbate » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Here is one source. I had read another one involving pigs a while back, but I'm unable to locate it at the time of writing this post. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1679&context=animalscifacpub

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#15  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:55 am

Yes, had heard that lysine is routinely given to live stock to "fatten them up for slaughter." So this looks to be an investigation of how arginine impacts the equation, but I did notice in the first part:

The inability of lysine supplementation to alleviate any of the adverse effects of excess arginine in young swine indicates that the reduced performance is caused by a generalized amino acid imbalance, and not by a specific interference with lysine utilization in the manner of a classical arginine-lysine antagonism.

It is the "classical arginine-lysine antagonism" that is of interest.

Perhaps related, during my current telomere textbook reading, DNA does coil, as do the telomeres themselves and in fact it can be important to gene expression, and it is mentioned that arginine and lysine are involved even at the level of the DNA inside the nucleus, so perhaps there is something to the "antagonism" is down to the level of the nucleus?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”