62-year-old radiologist saved by a stent, becoming a convert

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

62-year-old radiologist saved by a stent, becoming a convert

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:47 am

Dear Owen,

I am a 62 year old radiologist who was just saved by a stent for an acute occlusion of the LAD, similar to David Leake's experience but I now realize how high dose Vitamin C with lysine and proline can reverse disease over time. I have some disease involving the obtuse marginal, but now that I understand how collagen is formed I can reverse it.

I believe in Linus Pauling and you and there are many others to pass the baton, but I am particularly outraged at what has been going on to suppress the truth about the toxic effects of highly refined vegetables oils (see The Big Fat Surprise.....by Nina Teicholz, I am still reading it and do not know if vitamin C plays a role, since her excellent proof is primarily about how this CVD epidemic could have been prevented by researchers being strictly objective and not capable of being bought off).

Everything falls into place once it is understood that high saturated fat low carbohydrate diets dramatically decease the amount of glucose that can competently inhibit what little Vitamin C may be in the diet (not enough). Without this overload of glucose on a constant basis, thanks to the failed diet heart theory, the incidence of CVD would be less, but not like having a lot more Vitamin C around.

There is conflicting information about maximum blood levels from oral administration and the 30 minute blood clearance of vitamin C. How much vitamin C and proline and lysine should be consumed per unit time for optimal absorption?

It did not escape me that none of the animals that make vitamin C get coronary heart disease, but hearts are quite similar between species. That is, the coronary arteries are all subjected to the same types of mechanical forces not generally found in peripheral arteries. To me that means that they must be getting early lesions BUT are able to heal them properly because of abundant vitamin C.

The other main reason I am writing you is that I have been trying to find Dr. Ely's publications, including one that you mentioned on a website that is almost certainly finished/published by now as well as Dr. Ellis in the 1950's but cannot find the original documents. I need to see them if possible.

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2004/08/04/the_negative_impact_of_sugar_on_vitamin_c.htm

I am going to order your book "Practicing Medicine without a License" from Amazon but note that it is not in Kindle format. If you could give Amazon the permission to do this, this incredible material can spread to a new digital generation much easier. I intend to do all I can to get this information out.

Thanks very much!

Tom Clayton, MD
Houston, Texas

Welcome to the Twilight Zone. Perhaps you sir will play a part in helping (or running) the first published study of the Pauling/Rath unified theory and Pauling's protocol?

To the last point first, Lulu.com has been excellent - until recently when I lost contact. On the advice of Dr. Hickey, we are in the process of moving the book from Lulu to CreateSpace.com. CreateSpace is owned and run by Amazon, support is terrific and one of the first things we plan to do after the conversion/publication is create a Kindle version. (The only downside of changing publishers is that if you visit our book's page on Amazon - it is designated an Amazon "Number One Best Seller" (in its category.) We will be getting a new ISBN, and may lose that Amazon designation. Exactly the same book except for the new ISBN.)

There were a series of articles in the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients by the late Wayne Martin. He had also amassed research showing that the problem was polyunsaturated fats (if memory serves) and not saturated fats.

I haven't spoke to Dr. Ely in many years. (He was living in New Zealand and was being treated for high mercury levels.) I see from this article that Dr. Ely passed in 2011. http://orthomolecular.org/hof/2014/ely.html and I can no longer find his files that used to be on the Univ. of Washington server.

I may write them and maybe we can get them restored.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: 62-year-old radiologist saved by a stent, becoming a con

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:04 am

Owen,

One of the reasons I wanted to see the earlier articles by Ellis and Ely was that I believe that people should be given due credit for coming up with the right answer and that their material not be lost to history. Do you happen to have a specific biochemical explanation for the glucose ascorbate insulin competitive theory, meaning the molecular structures side by side and how this was determined? I'll be glad to do what I can to help your cause. What did you have in mind for the Pauling/Mathis study?

First, what is missing is a simple study of giving vitamin C and lysine​ ​to end-stage CVD patients, even without a placebo, maybe as a last resort. Nothing has been run/published, so there is nothing to look up on Pauling's therapy.

The current person to ask about Glucose-Ascorbate Antagonism (GAA) may be Dr. Steve Hickey. I'll provide his email.

Dr. Ely told me that long ago, he had advised Pauling to do studies of vitamin C on colds using very low carbohydrates.

Ely told me from New Zealand that he had conducted such a study with "spectacular anti-cold effects", which should have been "soon published." Apparently it wasn't.

The theory as I understand it is that the partially oxidized form of ascorbate (Dehydroascorbic acid DHA) shares the GLUT insulin-mediated transport with glucose (through the cell membrane), and that high blood glucose levels effectively block this form of cellular uptake of vitamin C.

I don't know if GLUT is the primary way vitamin C enters cells, and I doubt it.
I think it more likely that the SVCT (sodium mediated vitamin C transport) is the primary mechanism, and how the fully reduced ascorbate generally enters cells. It seems likely that the GLUT is a secondary mechanism that helps cells acquire as much of the usually scarce vitamin C they can. The half life of DHA is short - before it is either reduced back to ascorbate, or breaks down further and is no longer vitamin C.

So if the Ely GAA theory is valid, then I admit I do not understand the mechanism of action.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: 62-year-old radiologist saved by a stent, becoming a con

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 am

Owen,

One other website said add 2 grams per day (500 mg x 4 doses) of L-Carnitine to the Ascorbate, proline, and lysine. It this necessary? Put another way, it this pretty much it for collagen synthesis and repair?

David Leake's book is poorly written (sound byte style) with bad links to other places instead of a single word link such as go here) but at the end he did mention that he took a bunch of other supplements BUT added the key information that he was taking them before the Ascorbate therapy.

This can confuse people but it really does not matter because he got an optimal end result.

I hope David Leake is okay. I mailed him asking to purchase more books, with no response. (Many people before him, feeling cured, have stopped taking Pauling's protocol, only to revert to their former conditions, usually after about 6 months.)

Re: carnitine; (Which web site? Not ours)

Linus Pauling on his unified theory lecture stated why vitamin C (or lack of it) is the root cause of CVD, and why he recommended lysine to stop and reverse CVD - I'd be happy to send you the DVD of Pauling's lecture.

So my answer is that in our experience, high dose vitamin C and high dose lysine are necessary.

The other ingredient that may be important is proline. The proline-binding sites on the Lp(a) molecule were identified after Pauling died. Because Matthias Rath also recommended proline, the products we have sold over the years all contain proline - at about 20% the dosage of lysine.

There are a lot of secondary nutrients which can be helpful to heart patients, carnitine among them, but I would move vitamin K (probably the form of K2) to next in line after proline. Among its many features is the hormone-like ability to move calcium from soft tissues into bone, and for hardened calcified plaques (called arterioscleroosis in the past) we have some evidence that vitamin C/lysine and proline will not dislodge the calcium. Adding a Super-K tablet daily (LEF.ORG) seems to move calcium out of the arteries as can be detected by so-call fast CT-Heart Scans.

David Leake's book is poorly written (sound byte style) with bad links to other places instead of a single word link such as go here) but at the end he did mention that he took a bunch of other supplements BUT added the key information that he was taking them before the Ascorbate therapy.

We knew nothing about David or his experience until after the fact - after he used vitamin C and lysine to cure himself. He sent me an email of thanks, apparently because he found out about Pauling's therapy from our web site. He did not use our products. There were several errors in the book, but as you say, it is a personal documentary of a potential cure of a major disease using vitamin C and lysine. There are a great number of these "mini" documentaries, and many have been posted:

http://practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com/#TESTIMONY
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: 62-year-old radiologist saved by a stent, becoming a convert

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:12 am

Owen,

I got your package and very much appreciate it!

Shortly thereafter, I spent more than a month in the hospital with unexpected acute peritonitis following what was supposed to be an uncomplicated elective right hemicolectomy for recurrent diverticular bleeding which almost killed me, (almost overwhelming sepsis) but I am now on the mend and intend to start back on the Vitamin C.

Thanks for your generosity and I hope to talk again soon!

Tom

First, Dr. Tom - it had been so long I didn't place you when I received this email. Stay well!

Sounds like you had good doctors - and that you are lucky to still be with us. Of course my general recommendation stands: that is, to achieve and maintain Linus Pauling's general nutritional regimen in HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER.

I have also learned that inflammation all over the body can be caused by even a minor adrenal malfunction (perhaps too much stress) as we grow older, leading to a lower-than-normal output of cortisol. Unfortunately, if this is the problem, most of us find it a lot harder to deal with (requires a prescription) than simply taking more vitamin C.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:22 am

Owen,

I am working on a response to your email from a few weeks ago but other stuff has kept coming up.

Noting that scar tissue is present in plaques, is there ANY evidence anywhere that scar tissue can be reversed? Whether by ascorbate or anything else?

If there is any calcium, then adequate supplementation with vitamin K2 should reverse it. Have you heard about that?

More than scar tissue... You should put Dr. Levy's STOP AMERICA'S #1 KILLER book on your reading list. He was a board certified cardiologist and describes the atherosclerotic process in great detail. (Levy's book made me appreciate that in advanced cases, it is likely that a coronary bypass operation is the best course of action because plaques become unstable, i.e., they develop their own capillary system and if a capillary breaks, the entire clotting cascade follows - leading to the MI.)

And I still do not understand why Vitamin C and Lysine have such a rapid effect eliminating angina pain. There must be some kind of arterial dilation effect - like arginine - perhaps through nitric oxide.

And yes, from our experience, the calcium apparently forms "around the artery" - an analogy would be the outside of a pipe. So the artery can be open - but stiff and unable to dilate leading to high blood pressure. Taking vitamin K (we use Super-K from LEF.ORG) seems to eliminate the calcium in the arteries, but this may require up to one year. There are literally hundreds of studies showing the vitamin K blocking drugs (e.g. blood "thinners") lead to rapid calcification of soft tissues, and conversely, studies of vitamin K showing that it act like a hormone to move calcium from soft tissues into bones. I first learned about this feature of vitamin K from this life extension magazine article in 2000

http://www.lef.org/Magazine/2000/2/report/Page-01
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by 89826 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Vitamin C works to protect endothelial function. There have been studies, using the BART test and high-fat meals, showing Vitamin C's effectiveness in preserving arterial dilation. (The endothelium releases nitric oxide, a vasodilator.)

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”