How to prevent heart disease

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

blade

How to prevent heart disease

Post Number:#1  Post by blade » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Im constantly reading things on the news, online, in the mail, etc telling me how to reduce my chances of heart disease

example:
eat breakfast
eat "X"
don't eat "x"
get X hours of sleep
Follow a healthy diet. A healthy diet includes a variety of vegetables and fruits. ...
don't smoke
don't be fat(I have no idea what Bodyfat is ideal)
Be physically active
"Avoid using illegal drugs"-oh so if a drug is made legal, it makes me ok for my heart? I didnt realize the power the legislative branch!
reduce inflammation

have low total cholesterol
have high HDL cholesterol
have low LDL cholesterol
-granted, LDL is part of LpA, so LpA is a risk factor and thus lowering LDL means lower risk of CAD

so are all those thing right?

or should the top way to avoid CAD be take 10grams Vitamin C a day?
but the rest of that list is relevant?

Saw
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: How to prevent heart disease

Post Number:#2  Post by Saw » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:24 pm

"Don't smoke" sounds like a good one!

I like to keep it simple and not be distracted by all the BS.
Here is one of my favorite quotes
In 1956, American Heart Association founder Dr. Paul Dudley White, cardiologist to the presidents in the 1950s, expressed his frustration over the then-novel lipid hypothesis. “See here, I began my practice as a cardiologist in 1921 and I never saw an MI patient until 1928,” White declared. “Back in the MI free days before 1920 the fats were butter and lard, and I think we would all benefit from the diet we had at that time when no one had heard the word[s] corn oil.”

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/health-care/item/12529-food-fallacies
Even a Blind Squirrel makes his own vitamin C.

blade

Post Number:#3  Post by blade » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:03 am

Saw wrote:"Don't smoke" sounds like a good one!

I like to keep it simple and not be distracted by all the BS.
Here is one of my favorite quotes
In 1956, American Heart Association founder Dr. Paul Dudley White, cardiologist to the presidents in the 1950s, expressed his frustration over the then-novel lipid hypothesis. “See here, I began my practice as a cardiologist in 1921 and I never saw an MI patient until 1928,” White declared. “Back in the MI free days before 1920 the fats were butter and lard, and I think we would all benefit from the diet we had at that time when no one had heard the word[s] corn oil.”

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/health-care/item/12529-food-fallacies

good quote....I've posted something similar, how the "low fat/exotoxin rich food" has caused the obesity issue.

What I find perplexing is the diet that leads to obesity(which is because people are lots of calories, thus a large surplus of calories daily) is still a diet low in VC
I realize that when I before doing PT. I thought, "I get plenty VC via my diet" and then I looked at my diet: My diet was filled with fruit/veggies, I was using a vitamix to get at least 10cups of fruit/veggies(per blaylock http://www.amazon.com/Health-Nutrition- ... 0929173481)
and yet I was getting a bit of 1-2grams of VC! and I was getting 1lb of broccoli,one of the highest foods in VC!(101mg/1 cup)

Since learning about VC, I looked at "heart healthy" cereals, which Contain NO VC, yet a "bad cereal", I think it was CookieCriso has some(9mg per cup)
so if more VC is the answer to preventing CAD, I was getting some, maybe enough for maintenance, but I needed more and that wasnt happening until I started dosing with supplements.

Maybe if all foods were fortified with VC, heart disease would diminish?

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by jimmylesante » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:53 am

My favourite
"We are a nation of people who are overfed yet undernourished"

Can't remember where i saw it-maybe i made it up :lol:

blade

Post Number:#5  Post by blade » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:19 am

I agree
""We are a nation of people who are overfed yet undernourished""
is a great and accurate quote.
quick comment:
I have a lot of young people at my work, 20-30s, and they smoke/have tats/constantly eat junk food...My trainer is constantly eating food he gets from the gas station.
So when I read stuff about "eating X prevents CAD", I wonder if "false syllogism" or a I'm not sure if that's the correct term.
-"unrelated event"?
A does not lead to be
Like I wore a red shirt when I won the lotto, ie wearing red helps people win the lotto
oh, Correlation does not imply causation

I wonder if X actually does reduce CAD, or if no/low CAD is just a by product.. like this
"A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine confirms that eating high fiber foods, such as lentils, helps prevent heart disease. Almost 10,000 American adults participated in this study and were followed for 19 years. People eating the most fiber, 21 grams per day, had 12% less coronary heart disease (CHD) and 11% less cardiovascular disease (CVD) compared to those eating the least, 5 grams daily. Those eating the most water-soluble dietary fiber fared even better with a 15% reduction in risk of CHD and a 10% risk reduction in CVD."
(lentils have 3mg VC/cup(200grams)
So dietary fiber helps prevent CAD? So I should just eat my fiber and I get a reduction in CAD

or something like this
"Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, the same type of health-promoting fats as are found in olive oil, which have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease. Five large human epidemiological studies, including the Nurses Health Study, the Iowa Health Study, the Adventist Health Study and the Physicians Health Study, all found that nut consumption is linked to a lower risk for heart disease. Researchers who studied data from the Nurses Health Study estimated that substituting nuts for an equivalent amount of carbohydrate in an average diet resulted in a 30% reduction in heart disease risk. Researchers calculated even more impressive risk reduction—45%—when fat from nuts was substituted for saturated fats"
so eating more fat(from nuts) is helpful to reduce CAD, or is it just because someone who eats nuts is getting more nutrients/VC from other food and not the typical American diet?

A lot of "studies" seem to be this way, seeing a result and not knowing why it happened, but giving a guess.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”