Can you megadose Cardio-C and what about liposomal?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Can you megadose Cardio-C and what about liposomal?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Fri May 01, 2015 5:37 am

Hi Owen

Am loving reading your book. It's fantastic. Am a fan of Linus Pauling and his colleagues from way back. Am getting my brother-in- law onto the cardio c. Have given him one of mine to try. Will hopefully sign him up to auto shipping.

I just have a question for you that I am hoping for some advice. A friend of mine has got giant cell artertis and is on huge doses of prednisone and is having awful side effects. My suggestion to her is vitamin c for artery integrity??

A bit of controversy re Liposomal versus Powdered C. Dr Levy seems to suggest liposomal is better in that it gets into the cells easier? Can you also take mega doses of the cardio C or would you be better to take the normal doses of cardio and up the powdered. Much appreciated. Thank you.
Chery

We created a topic at our forum about the liposomal C & heart disease issue:

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11648

From my experience, while the liposomal can be 10-times IV for fighting infection, you still require the same amount of vitamin C for heart disease, e.g. 10,000 mg - even in liposomal form, which is much more expensive than ordinary powder.
And the anti Lp(a) affects probably happen in the blood stream, outside of cells. It makes sense to start the regimen with ascorbic acid powder, in the same way it doesn't make sense to try to combat or prevent heart disease with intravenous vitamin C.

I am not familiar with the giant cell 'artertis' problem, do you have a link? But I would suggest that your friend read SAFE USES OF CORTISOL, 3rd Edition, by William Mck Jefferies, and then relay this information to his doctor. Because taking high does of prednisone for extended periods IS DANGEROUS. If the only reason is this arterial problem, he should also try vitamin C first. (The safe way to take cortisol (e.g. prednisone) is in low dosages at the book explains.

We know of people whohave megadosed on Pauling's formula (vitamin C/lysine and proline) but we feel the extra lysine is unnecessary above 6 grams daily. So we recommend 2 or 3 servings of Cardio-C, and then obtaining any extra vitamin C requirement with regular vitamin C powder - or with True liposomal vitamin C .
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Can you megadose Cardio-C and what about liposomal?

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Fri May 01, 2015 10:05 am

First of all!!! This lady’s friend needs to stay on the prednisone till her doc takes her off of them!!!! (period) emphasis mine!

This is a inflammation of the blood vessels of the brain and if left untreated or under treated can and will cause blindness!

I would also recommend that she start a low dose aspirin (81mg) twice a day!
To help with this.

The min. amount of pred. she should be taking is 1 Mg/kg.
To convert Pounds to kilogram: Divide weight in Lbs. by 2.205 to get kilograms
The results will give you the Min. amount of Pred. she should be on in a 24 hour period.
EXAMPLE: Weight 145lbs. So 145/2.205=65.76Kg so 66mg. Of prednisone in 24 hours min.! I would shoot at 75Mg.

Yes! She should start on Pauling therapy but not the liposome form at this point to help heal what ever is causing this inflammation!

High dose Prednisone is dangerous however in this case the benefit’s FAR out weight the side effects!!
SO My advice to her! Let her doc make the call on this and don’t very from the dosage he prescribed!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sat May 02, 2015 10:54 am

For how long? Dosages like this are what give the "drug" such a bad name. There must be better ways to control chronic inflammation rather than such a high dose? Not to mention (it is my understanding) that such a dose essentially turns off the adrenal output of cortisol. If true, this creates a need for at least 10 to 15 mg of prednisone indefinitely.

I wonder what her blood sugar is?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by Johnwen » Sat May 02, 2015 3:03 pm

The real question here is!
Do you want to go blind, have a stroke or feel tired??

Give the drug a Bad Name??
The efficacy of cortisteroids such as prednisone has been proven over and over in treatment of this condition. Most doc’s will monitor for any severe adverse reactions to it but almost all people can bear through them with no bad or lasting effects.
My firm beliefs are, that going blind or stroking out is far worst then any of the side effects these drug’s can render! The furthest thing from any doc’s mind in treating a patient with this condition is giving this drug any kind of reputation!

Any body who start’s changing dose’s arbitrarily without their doc’s consent or order is treading in some very dangerous territory!!

Here’s a couple of links I dug up that explain what this problem is and how it’s treated. Note where it say’s ,“The blindness is Permanent!!”
The answers to most of your questions are answered here!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/gian ... ritis.html

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20023109

http://www.hopkinsvasculitis.org/types- ... arteritis/
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Tue May 05, 2015 10:47 am

The links sustain the idea that what is called Giant Cell Arteritis is another manifestation of low cortisol output by the adrenal glands, causing inflammation. However, the treatment protocol in this particular study seems very reasonable to me, as it quickly tapers off oral dosage after a high initial pulse (IV) of cortisol.

Treatment of giant cell arteritis using induction therapy with high-dose glucocorticoids: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized prospective clinical trial
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/art.22163/full

Results

Ten of the 14 IV GC–treated patients, but only 2 of 13 control patients, were taking ≤5 mg/day prednisone at 36 weeks (P = 0.003). This difference was maintained; there was a higher number of sustained remissions after discontinuation of treatment in the IV GC–treated group and a lower median daily dose of prednisone at 78 weeks (P = 0.0004). The median cumulative dose of oral prednisone, excluding the IV GC dose, was 5,636 mg in the IV GC–treated group compared with 7,860 mg in the IV saline–treated group (P = 0.001).

Again I reiterate that there are safe and sane ways to administer cortisol.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”