Question about the VAP test

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Question about the VAP test

Post Number:#1  Post by johnyascorbate » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:22 pm

I'm interested in getting the VAP test done. For those of you who have had the test, is it something my doctor can just order through Quest or Lab Corp?
Thanks for your help!
John

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Question about the VAP test

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:53 am

I see the Life Extension offers the VAP test - so you can order it yourself.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/itemLC804500/VAP-Blood-Test?q=vap+test

The also offer the VAP plus some other "good stuff"

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/itemLC100009/VAP-PLUS-Blood-Test?q=vap+test
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by johnyascorbate » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:50 am

HELP- I just received the results of my VAP test which was done through Labcorp...And I'm really confused. I had my cholesterol checked on May 18th and my total cholesterol came in at 199 mg/dl, which was done through Quest diagnostics. On my VAP test, that was done on June 11th, a mere 3 and a half weeks later, my total cholesterol is 250 mg/dl!! HOW could my cholesterol shoot up that much in a matter of weeks? WHAT DO I DO?!?

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by johnyascorbate » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:20 am

Test Low Normal High Reference Range
Ldl Cholesterol 184 <130 mg/dL
Hdl Cholesterol 45 >=40 mg/dL
Vldl Cholesterol 21 <30 mg/dL
Cholesterol, Total 250 <200 mg/dL
Triglycerides 80 <150 mg/dL
Non Hdl Chol. (Ldl+Vldl) 206 <160 mg/dL
Apob100-Calc 128 <109 mg/dL
Ldl-R (Real)-C 163 <100 mg/dL
Lp(A) Cholesterol 7.0 <10 mg/dL
Idl Cholesterol 15 <20 mg/dL
Remnant Lipo. (Idl+Vldl3) 28 <30 mg/dL
Probable Metabolic Syndrome No No
Hdl-2 (Most Protective) 7 >10 mg/dL
Hdl-3 (Less Protective) 37 >30 mg/dL
Vldl-3 (Small Remnant) 13 <10 mg/dL
Ldl1 Pattern A 22.4 mg/dL
Ldl2 Pattern A 35.6 mg/dL
Ldl3 Pattern B 95.5 mg/dL
Ldl4 Pattern B 9.9 mg/dL
Ldl Density Pattern A A

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by Johnwen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:38 pm

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by johnyascorbate » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks for the info Johnwen- I'm still wondering about my 51 point spike in total cholesterol though. The Quest lipid panel I had on 5/18 has my total cholesterol at 199 mg/dl ( 143 LDL+ 43 HDL and the remaining difference of 13 I'm guessing is from VLDL? although it's not listed) while the VAP has my total at 250 mg/dl. I understand that the VAP total cholesterol is the sum of all three cholesterol markers, but so is the Quest measurement, right? Did my cholesterol spike 51 points? What is my real total cholesterol? I know I have to speak with my doc, but I'm a little anxious and would like some clarity. I appreciate the help.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by Johnwen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:16 pm

John John John

Cholesterol levels one month 199 then next month 250
How could this Be???

Simple answer! “Your Alive!!!”

Variables like this are not uncommon like it appears! If I’m reading this right you had one done at Quest and another done at Lab Corp.
Answer here; Different Machines, Different calibrations, Different handling methods etc.

You!
What did you eat the day before or even three days before each test/
How much sleep did you get for each test?
What kind of physical and emotional stress did you experience before each test?
What was the attitude of the Lab tech who drew your blood at the different locations?
Did you see if they just placed the blood sample tubes on the table or did they place them in a rocking machine?

I could go on but you can see that variables are at play here! Cholesterol levels vary through out the day as the body demands must be met. Almost every one of your hormones are a product of cholesterol!

As an example; Let’s say your reading a book your having a little bit of a problem understanding and you look at the clock and you need to hurry to get to blood draw appointment so you jump in your car push it a little harder then normal to get there! When you arrive their running a little behind so you sit down and read a paper that’s sitting on a table and just when you catch your breath you see your favorite sports team lost their butt in the finals! Now you go in an get your blood drawn to get your cholesterol checked!
My bet would be your levels will be high! Why because all that excitement caused an increase in all the hormones needed to get excited, need cholesterol to be produced and the cells in your body being stimulated need food after the sugar rush and that is what cholesterol does so up goes the levels!

So just because one test shows good and the other don’t is not a reason for concern also since you had them done at different labs. I would suggest waiting a month or so and getting a third test from one or the other labs and see if there is a pattern developing be it low or high and pay attention to what happens before the draw.

Of course if you were taking STATINS your levels would always be low but you wouldn’t be able to find your way to the lab or read the paper and book you thought you were suppose to be reading. You wouldn’t have to worry about cholesterol levels but your new onset of type 2 diabetes would have you more interested in your glucose levels. Now let’s talk about them heart murmurs that just started!! But hay your cholesterol levels are down!

So the main thing here is not to get lost in numbers and don’t try to chase them it’s a race your going to lose!
Do what makes you feel healthy and wise!

Bottom line anything between 180-220 are normal! Remember the 200 mark was a product of big pharma! Proof is numbers under 200 haven’t made any difference in the incidence CAD! In fact about 60% of people who have heart attacks have cholesterol levels under 190. The real culprit is Lpa and yours is a 7 which well in the safe zone and your HDL total is over 40 so your actually doing real well! HDL2 is a little low perhaps a little niacin could kick that up and take your Lpa down a bit. Give it some time and get a third test like I said before and see what the trend is before losing sleep over this!
I think you can tell I felt creative tonight! :wink:
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by johnyascorbate » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:41 am

Thanks a lot Johnwen! I didn't consider any of those factors, will go back in a month for a test and see what happens, and I'll check back then.

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#9  Post by johnyascorbate » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Follow up-I just had another lipid profile done and my total cholesterol checked in at 190. It's a far cry from the 250 I had a month ago, and while it's not perfect, I've made some serious lifestyle changes this past month and I'm happy where it is heading.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by ofonorow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:00 am

From what lab? And if Quest again, do you see any words "CALCULATED" on any of the reports? (I am guessing that the VAP test, which is entirely measured, is the more accurate. No matter, even given the variables, your total cholesterol is HIGH. This, according to Pauling/Ginter, means your vitamin C intake is too LOW.) Your Lp(a) is okay...

What is your daily vitamin C intake?

To follow up on johnwen's thoughts, we had a forum member a long time ago who bought a home cholesterol monitor, and we were all surprised by the variation in the readings, as johnwen pointed out, a lot depended on the meal the night before. (We have these results posted, somewhere... I'll keep looking.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#11  Post by johnyascorbate » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 am

The third and most recent cholesterol panel was done at Quest. They don't specify if it is measured or calculated. I don't feel 190 is too high, Owen. It's not perfect but it could be a lot worse. I was very sick when I had the VAP test done, and my diet was atrocious, which could easily explain the high cholesterol. I didn't know it mattered if cholesterol was measured or calculated, I only thought it was important for the Lp(a) and a few other things to be measured. A 60 point difference is huge but I believe my recent Quest numbers are accurate. I take in 10+ grams to bowel tolerance and many other supplements along with it.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by ofonorow » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:00 am

Quest has not been my favorite lab over the years regarding Lp(a), but maybe they have improved :o
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”