AA and gout

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

blade

AA and gout

Post Number:#1  Post by blade » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:18 pm

My friend has been taking 10-15grams AA for a few months now
he has been stricken with a case of gout(pain in left Big toe)

can AA cause gout or is he not eating properly?
(he tells me he doesnt eat much meat, so how he got gout I dunno, too much fat/sugar?)

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: AA and gout

Post Number:#2  Post by tjohnson_nb » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:22 pm

No, AA cannot cause gout, at least there is no known mechanism.
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:27 am

blade wrote:My friend has been taking 10-15grams AA for a few months now

(he tells me he doesnt eat much meat, so how he got gout I dunno, too much fat/sugar?)

Any change in the big toe pain?

There are studies showing that vitamin C is an effective treatment for gout. (I had similar symptoms that were not cleared by increasing my vitamin C intake to 3000 mg daily. However, when I increased to 18,000 to 20,000 mg of vitamin C, along with the other Linus Pauling recommendations (high vitamins A, E and Super-B complex), my gout disappeared never to return.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

blade

Post Number:#4  Post by blade » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:38 am

ofonorow wrote:
blade wrote:My friend has been taking 10-15grams AA for a few months now

Any change in the big toe pain?

There are studies showing that vitamin C is an effective treatment for gout. (I had similar symptoms that were not cleared by increasing my vitamin C intake to 3000 mg daily. However, when I increased to 18,000 to 20,000 mg of vitamin C, along with the other Linus Pauling recommendations (high vitamins A, E and Super-B complex), my gout disappeared never to return.

Yeah, it wasnt my "friend", it was me and it was just embarrising if I got gout.. cause I rarely eat any of the big causes of gout, ie : " alcohol, fructose-sweetened drinks, meat, and seafood"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout

I diaagnosed it as a "stress fracture", which made sense as I was using my foot in a new way and enduring pain, which I thought was nerve regrowth.
so I got a walking boot for stress fractures and stayed off it as much as I could and now I still have pain/discomfort, but I don't need a boot and it's getting better.,
I doubled my spinach intake(lots of k1, no k2m but great source of Vit E/ MG) and doubled my Super K with Advanced K2 Complex, B-vitamins and MG
http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-S ... K2-Complex

I suspect it helped, but I am on the mend!
thanks for asking

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by exitium » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:44 pm

tjohnson_nb wrote:No, AA cannot cause gout, at least there is no known mechanism.

I wonder just how true this is, bear with me while I try and explain.

The body maintains a very tight control on internal PH and how does it do this? The body uses various nutrients and minerals to "buffer" the acidity and alkalinity and help maintail the desired PH within the body.

What happens when someone consumes food/water that is always acidic or alkaline? It taxes the bodies stores of the various minerals used in buffering and controlling PH. We all know that most people have various deficiencies with magnesium and potassium for example being very common.

If a lifestyle is such that it adds even higher demands on certain nutrients it makes it harder and harder for the body to control systemic PH due to lack of buffering materials. Obviously things like the blood stream will have precedence on minerals for PH control but what happens when there isnt enough buffer to go around? Isnt it possible that less "important" areas of the body will have less priority placed on buffering and balancing of PH?

Isnt AA acedic by nature? Wouldnt it be possible that someone on the cusp of a material buffer shortage could be pushed over the endge and become buffer deficient if someone all of a sudden started large doses of AA?

Gout after all is a build up of uric acid and often people with gout are told to avoid foods that contribute to uric acid BUT also told to consume food items that lower body acidity....or more accurately are high in buffer nutrients needed by the body to help manage and maintain a proper PH? Coincidence?

An oversimplification for sure and while AA my not directly cause gout I dont think its much of a stretch to beleive that consuming AA, which is acidic, can place additional demands on the bodies buffer supply stores and in turn increase the likelyhoood someone may come down with gout.
Last edited by exitium on Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by jimmylesante » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:16 am

Is Gout not a symptom of the bodies primary excretory systems not working efficiently? Detox the liver and kidneys and the gout should disappear? Also exercise to excrete the uric acid via the skin, if you can't exercise then a hot sauna does the same.
What is the role of Uric acid?

I agree with exitium that if you take AA then it will need to become a salt/buffered

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by Johnwen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:14 am

Keeping with the original Question!! :wink:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... .21105/pdf
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by exitium » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:41 am

Good link John, but I have to wonder, the people in the study didnt appear to be using AA but a vitamin C supplement. I dont disagree that what we need for arterial health is the AA portion but I suspect a complex C supplement will be less acidic.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#9  Post by tjohnson_nb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:17 pm

exitium wrote:
tjohnson_nb wrote:No, AA cannot cause gout, at least there is no known mechanism.

The body maintains a very tight control on internal PH and how does it do this? The body uses various nutrients and minerals to "buffer" the acidity and alkalinity and help maintail the desired PH within the body.

What happens when someone consumes food/water that is always acidic or alkaline? It taxes the bodies stores of the various minerals used in buffering and controlling PH. We all know that most people have various deficiencies with magnesium and potassium for example being very common.

If a lifestyle is such that it adds even higher demands on certain nutrients it makes it harder and harder for the body to control systemic PH due to lack of buffering materials. Obviously things like the blood stream will have precedence on minerals for PH control but what happens when there isnt enough buffer to go around? Isnt it possible that less "important" areas of the body will have less priority placed on buffering and balancing of PH?

Isnt AA acedic by nature? Wouldnt it be possible that someone on the cusp of a material buffer shortage could be pushed over the endge and become buffer deficient if someone all of a sudden started large doses of AA?

Gout after all is a build up of uric acid and often people with gout are told to avoid foods that contribute to uric acid BUT also told to consume food items that lower body acidity....or more accurately are high in buffer nutrients needed by the body to help manage and maintain a proper PH? Coincidence?

An oversimplification for sure and while AA my not directly cause gout I dont think its much of a stretch to beleive that consuming AA, which is acidic, can place additional demands on the bodies buffer supply stores and in turn increase the likelyhoood someone may come down with gout.

I'm curious as to what form of ascorbate is produced by other mammals? Does it exist as ascorbic acid in the blood or does it need to be buffered with a mineral? I say this because if mammals can produce 20g of Vit C in a day presumably they won't get gout from it so why would humans?
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#10  Post by exitium » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:11 am

tjohnson_nb wrote:
exitium wrote:

I'm curious as to what form of ascorbate is produced by other mammals? Does it exist as ascorbic acid in the blood or does it need to be buffered with a mineral? I say this because if mammals can produce 20g of Vit C in a day presumably they won't get gout from it so why would humans?

Hmm, I see your point.

According to johnston 2006, Intestinal absorption in vitamin C-dependent animals appears to require a sodium-dependent active transport system. I wonder if this in essence also buffers some of its acidity when ingested?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:31 am

Great point and if you find out - please let me know. The late great Jay Patrick (Founder of Alacer Corp) believed that ascorbate travels in the blood as "mineral ascorbates" He was not a scientist and we have looked for scientific justification. If anyone can find it, we would appreciate it!

Sherry Lewin in her 1976 book Vitamin C: Its Biology and Medical Potential wrote that vitamin C is found mostly as ascorbic acid in the blood, but sodium ascorbate in the lymph. (If true, this would imply that ascorbate or ascorbic acid has a way into cells and that vitamin C exits cells with a sodium atom attached.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”