Friend says vitamin C not absorbed without lecithin

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Friend says vitamin C not absorbed without lecithin

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:33 am

Hi owen ,

I was wondering if you could help me, i recently purchased a few tubs of the Tower cardio-ade for my mum as she had a recent heart attack. A friend advised me that the amount of vitamin c in the dose prescribed could not be absorbed unless is was binded with lecithin in an ultrasonic machine, i looked into this and read the same info.

Now i assume that you and everyone at pauling therapy (inc linus himself) have done the necessary research to ascertain the correct dose needed to be of most benefit, so i thought i would ask your advice about this absorption matter.

Any help would be gratefully accepted

Kind regards

I think what you were told has a grain of truth, in that the liposomal form is probably better absorbed than ordinary powder. It is not true that vitamin C is not absorbed without lecithin.

Our Pauling-therapy experience is mostly with ascorbic acid powder and our recent experiments have convinced me that the first 4000 mg of ascorbic acid by mouth is equivalent to intravenous (at least on an empty stomach). http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11944 Few people have to take more than 4000 mg at one time, so there is no theoretical benefit of making ascorbic acid liposomal. (For heart disease. Infections may require daily amounts exceeding 200,000 mg of regular powder.)

Most commercial liposomes are made from sodium ascorbate and we have worried that truly encapsulated liposomes might be absorbed into cells and not have the same Lp(a) unbinding effect that free ascorbate (with lysine) seem to have in the blood stream.

Fortunately, most home made "liposomes" (using lecithin and the ultrasonic cleaner) have been found to be emulsions, meaning the vitamin C is likely to be free ascorbate in the blood stream.

At present I would question the value in liposomal vitamin C for heart disease, except in cases of very low bowel tolerance.

The lecithin itself may have some utility against heart disease.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Saw
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Friend says vitamin C not absorbed without lecithin

Post Number:#2  Post by Saw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:55 pm

ofonorow wrote:Fortunately, most home made "liposomes" (using lecithin and the ultrasonic cleaner) have been found to be emulsions, meaning the vitamin C is likely to be free ascorbate in the blood stream.

Can we clarify this statement?
"Most homemade liposomes are emulsions". (some aren't?)
Has someone studied the homemade lipo c?
Even a Blind Squirrel makes his own vitamin C.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Friend says vitamin C not absorbed without lecithin

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:28 am

Livon labs paid for an analysis of several published procedures for making homemade liposomes - and all were found to create emulsions. (They emailed me this report some time ago. I can try to post if anyone is interested.)

Using the correct material (rather than plain lecithin) is apparently key, and this from livon is a good explanation
http://www.livonlabs.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/liposome-encapsulated/high-quality-liposomal-supplements.html

From caller reports, I suspect that one homemade method far exceeds most others (from anecdotal positive results) but again there are issues of cleanliness and bypassing the immune system, etc.

Nothing wrong with protecting the vitamin (emulsions probably do, as in the aloe vera or kiwi gel findings) but our own experiments seem to show ZERO loss of vitamin C taken as ascorbic acid powder on an empty stomach up to 4000 mg. (At least reaching the blood stream.)
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11944
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”