Magnesium and Coronary Calcium

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Magnesium and Coronary Calcium

Post Number:#1  Post by gmdodaro » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:29 pm

I recently got a respiratory infection that evidently depleted my magnesium reserves, because the atrial fibrillation that I thought I had beat came back daily for 8-15 hours at a stretch. For more than a year I had controlled the a-fib with magnesium supplementation, but this illness brought it back. When I increased the dosage to roughly 1.5 gram per day of magnesium glycinate and magnesium citrate, the a-fib completely stopped.

This is great, but I had a conversation with a friend who has had two strokes in the past five years. I told her about my success with a-fib, and I started reading to find out more about magnesium. Maybe it would help her recovery from the strokes and to avoid another one.

I found The Magnesium Miracle, http://drcarolyndean.com/magnesium_miracle/ by Carolyn Dean MD. It makes a compelling case that magnesium is a critical element in the battle against heart disease as well as many other problems. I'm going to order the RBC test http://drcarolyndean.com/2014/05/magnesium-rbc-blood-test/. Having stopped the a-fib doesn't prove that I am not still deficient. This may be the reason I can't get my LP(a) under 30 and LP-PLA2 under 225. My EBT coronary calcium score was last measured at 655. Of course, I am taking 30-40 grams ascorbic acid and about 20 grams l-lysine and 5-6 grams l-proline. And vitamin K 35-45 mg per day.

There must be a lot of information on this forum about magnesium deficiency and heart disease, but when I search for magnesium, the result says the word is too common and can't be used in a search. Please direct me to some pertinent information.

Frank51
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Magnesium and Coronary Calcium

Post Number:#2  Post by Frank51 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:00 am

gmdodaro I had used magnesium oil transdermaly for probably a year before I had bypass surgery. After the surgery I had some arrhythmias and those didn't stop until I started using the magnesium again on my skin.

I had read some of the things Dr. Mark Sircus had written in articles and also bought one of his books. I continue to supplement magnesium every day. There are some articles at this link you may find interesting.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by Johnwen » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:27 am

There must be a lot of information on this forum about magnesium deficiency and heart disease, but when I search for magnesium, the result says the word is too common and can't be used in a search. Please direct me to some pertinent information.

Use The words (Magnesium Deficiency)
I got 567 hits on this forum with these words!
I’m sure you’ll find something that will help you in one or more of those discussions.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by gmdodaro » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:37 am

Thanks, Frank. I have some magnesium chloride oil that I'll start using. I've been doing fine with oral magnesium glycinate. The atrial fibrillation has stopped, but I wonder if I still might be deficient. I'm going to order the RBC Magnesium test to see if I am in the 6.0 + range recommended by Dr. Carolyn Dean. It may be the missing piece in my, so far, intractable coronary calcium.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 am

Yes, it is always good to be reminded about the importance of magnesium, especially for heart patients. (I know a doctor who uses the SpectrCell tests to evaluate nutrient status, and she says virtually all her patients come back as magnesium deficient. It is not a flaw in the test, because I didn't. My deficiency was vitamin C, but that is another story...)

This is a treatment for heart disease suggested by he late Brian Leibovitz, PhD, from his Journal of Optimal Nutrition.

http://www.internetwks.com/pauling/jon.html#CCME

Magnesium

Magnesium is now recognized as a first-line medicine for the treatment of heart attacks. , A study published in The Lancet, for example, reported the effects of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study in 2,316 patients with suspected myocardial infarction. The dose of magnesium was high (about 8.7 grams given intravenously over a 24 hour period), but the results were remarkable: magnesium reduced cardiovascular mortality by 25 percent. The author/s conclusion:

"Intravenous magnesium sulfate is a simple, safe, and widely applicable treatment. Its efficacy in reducing early mortality of myocardial infarction is comparable to, but independent of, that of thrombolytic or antiplatelet therapy."

These findings have been confirmed and reconfirmed in many clinics and laboratories. Teo and colleagues, for example, in an analysis of seven clinical studies, concluded that magnesium (in doses of 5-10 grams by intravenous injection) reduced the odds of death by an astounding 55%.

Studies of magnesium have revealed it to be Nature's "calcium-channel blocker" ; unlike its drug counterparts, however, magnesium has no toxic side-effects. Another important effect of supplemental magnesium is its ability to mitigate the cardiotoxic effects of catecholamines. Prielipp and associates, for example, published results of a clinical trial in which magnesium (10 mg per kg body weight per hour, or approximately 700 mg per hour for an average adult) attenuated the cardiotoxic effects of epinephrine in 17 bypass patients. Interestingly, the drug captopril - an angiotensin- converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor - has been demonstrated to work by raising intracellular magnesium.

Regarding stroke, we have a new member who emailed me the following and I asked him to post this:

Dr. Bill Hammesphar in Florida tells stories, from the US Navy's use of 100% oxygen to decompress divers, of miracle remissions of cancer, and even one instance of a Navy diver who came to the surface dead, and after 30 min of high-pressure oxygen walked out of the chamber.
It was this which contributed to Hammesphar's Nobel Prize theory that in stroke the brain cells are not dead, merely asleep. Oxygen, Hammesphar said, woke up the cells. He sued Medicare to force them to support Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment for stroke. 8-year old stroke cases were cured.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by gmdodaro » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks, JohnWen and Owen. I think this is going to be important for a lot of us. I've added a few things to the vitamin C, lysine, proline regimine, including vitamin K, and vitamin E. The magnesium has resolved my problems atrial fibrillation. I just talked with another friend who didn't find it soon enough. His a-fib became so pervasive that he had the ablation procedure done twice. That didn't help, and he required a pacemaker. There still might be more benefits to be discovered in my case.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”