Can I take Lysine with my issues?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

AngieLynn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I take Lysine with my issues?

Post Number:#1  Post by AngieLynn » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:50 am

Hi - I'd really appreciate help.

I'm told I have carotid artery blockage under 40% and I want to get rid of this before it becomes a problem. I also have high LPa. I want to do the protocol but I'm not sure what to do.

I'm reading that lysine can cause absorption of calcium and create gallstones, and I already have a large stone that I was just told had grown since my last ultrasound. I've been able to dissolve the sludge and smaller stones, but the big one has grown.

Here's one quote that's pretty much what I'm reading on multiple sites:

"Lysine can increase the absorption of calcium. Use caution when taking large amounts of calcium while supplementing with lysine.

While lysine in the diet is considered safe, excessive doses may cause gallstones. There have also been reports of renal dysfunction, including Fanconi syndrome and renal failure."

So my calcium is high normal 9.8 I believe - and I can't afford to have an increase in the gallstone production. I have had tums almost every night lately though I read it can't increase your calcium unless you're eating an entire bottle nightly.

I had a heart attack about 5 years ago - I'm 59 years old. It wasn't from blockage. My calcium coronary score was zero, so I don't know why I have this carotid artery blockage.

I also tend to get a rapid heartbeat for several years, especially if I'm experiencing infection, and I've read some posts about people having rapid rates from lysine.

I'd really appreciate advice.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Can I take Lysine with my issues?

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:40 am

Per the case of my uncle in my book (https://www.amazon.com/Practicing-Medic ... practicing) my uncle was given the wrong dosage (5 pills - 2500 mg) not 5 grams daily of vitamin C and lysine), and a 70% carotid blockage disappeared in 30 days, verified by surgery - which found nothing.

As far as those warnings, if they came from a medical web site, it would be interesting to know what studies they are based on.

"Lysine can increase the absorption of calcium. Use caution when taking large amounts of calcium while supplementing with lysine.

While lysine in the diet is considered safe, excessive doses may cause gallstones. There have also been reports of renal dysfunction, including Fanconi syndrome and renal failure."

Probably animal studies, in any case, after 20 years of recommending Linus Pauling's therapy, neither of these possibilities seem to be likely. (However, Dr. Levy does not recommend calcium supplementation, per his book DEATH BY CALCIUM)

The excessive dosages "may cause gallstones" is like saying people who wear sneakers may cause gall stones. I'd like to see the study that tries to postulate a positive link there... And excessive dosages are usually way over 14 gms, while we recommend 5-6 grams. Again, the link, or the references would be helpful. This is news to us.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

AngieLynn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by AngieLynn » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks Owen. All I see over and over on the web is that it was in animal studies, and that high dosages could cause gallstones, but I can't find the studies and I don't see anywhere what they would consider a high dosage. So since having blockage is a serious problem, I'm going to give this a try anyway.

Did you think the high normal calcium number was okay to use lysine with?

A couple years back I wrote you because I did try to take the lysine and was experiencing tremors in my hand/thumb, but no one knew why that would happen. I'm hoping that doesn't return.

Another issue is that I have chronic burning in my esophogus, and I have interstitial cystitis. Should I be taking sodium ascorbate powder? Would that help? Or someone mentioned putting baking soda in the powder. Also I have a water filter that can create alkaline water. I could mix the vitamin C powder with very alkaline water.

Thanks Owen. You rock!

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:19 am

AngieLynn wrote:Did you think the high normal calcium number was okay to use lysine with?

I think in such a contradicting case - where animal studies showed increased calcium with lysine, but none who takes high-dose lysine ever experienced the same - the way to go forward is to experiment oneself. By starting with small doses of lysine (along with the vitamin C) and increase gradually over weeks, months and years. While regularly monitoring serum calcium. Also worth considering that lysine isn't an exotic synthetic compound with whatnot potentially nasty side-effects, but occurs already naturally in everyone's diet. When I calculated mine found I get already about 3.4 g per day from my diet.

To control higher serum calcium definitely limit or eliminate diary for some time, and also don't forget the K vitamins.

AngieLynn wrote:Another issue is that I have chronic burning in my esophogus, and I have interstitial cystitis. Should I be taking sodium ascorbate powder? Would that help?

My cystitis healed by starting high dose ascorbic acid. Again, this isn't something which can cause more than temporal discomfort. And since everyone reacts differently, only by experimenting with different vitamin Cs will give you the definite answer in your case. Therefore just try. First some pure ascorbic acid in a glass of water. If some discomfort occurs mixing increasing amounts of sodium bicarbonate to it, to the point where the discomfort ceases. (mixing sodium bicarbonate with ascorbic acid in water results in it turning into sodium ascorbate, and homemade is substantially cheaper. in the long run)

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by Johnwen » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:18 am

Got around to reading this post!
To me it sounds like symptoms of a under active Parathyroid glands.
The easiest thing to check this is getting a blood test for PTH levels this would be a good starting point.
Labcorp test # 015610 CPT 83970

Here’s a link to give you an idea about what the symptoms of Under active glands can cause!

https://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-symptoms.htm
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by ofonorow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:59 am

That is an impressive article. I kept waiting for the punch line, what a person with these symptoms has to do to correct the issue? (Apparently surgery to remove a tumor?)

I also note that many of the same symptoms result from low (inadequate) endogenous cortisol.

Coincidentally, a part-time Foundation worker hasn't been feeling right, (she is missing part of her thyroid gland, I guess because of a formerly over-active thyroid). Her doctor recommended the (very expensive) parathyroid testing. When they didn't find anything, the doctor (or another doctor) prescribed thyroid - and now she feels fine. (Why didn't they detect the low thyroid hormone? Apparently, this is the old issue where the blood tests finds thyroid - but it bound to some other substance and thus inactive.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by Johnwen » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am

This is the reason when a person shows signs of low thyroid production yet the TSH levels show normal. Which is normally in a range of 0.40 to 4.50 mIU/L. However when a person gets in the 3.9> this usually indicates a problem but is over looked by the range values.
When a doctor sees numbers like 3.92 or higher a full thyroid panel should done.
In this case Owen is talking about, my suspicions would be a over production of RT3 which would counter what the thyroid is producing and supplementing raises the production of T3 and counters the RT3.
Here’s a wiki on RT3;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_triiodothyronine
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”