Keto's Fatal Flaw and the Fat Switch

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Keto's Fatal Flaw

Post Number:#16  Post by ofonorow » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:12 am

Bump. I don't want to lose this discussion.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Serdna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Keto's Fatal Flaw and the Fat Switch

Post Number:#17  Post by Serdna » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:00 am

Just believing the brain is "mostly" carbohydrate doesn't cut it. Except if we are talking of faith matters, which I am not interested in.

Just saying that the heart prefers glucose over fat doesn't cut it either. From Everybody’s got a hungry heart:
The Department of Chemistry’s Joshua Rabinowitz, collaborating with colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, completed the first comprehensive, quantitative mapping of human cardiac fuel use, reporting that the heart preferentially and voraciously consumes fatty acids.

As a matter of fact, liver does perfectly on fats too. Fed and Fasted State.

Inuit may perhaps afford staying out of ketosis (on their ancestral diet?, via Petro) because they have bigger livers to do the protein to glucose conversion. How large the average inuit liver compared to that of an average American?
Their harsh environment drove some very risky gene selections.

Once you are hyperinsulinemic (diabetes type II, hypertension, PCOS, metabolic syndrome...) the easiest diet intervention with results is the low carb one, either ketogenic (<50g-CHO/day?) or not (< 150g-CHO/day).

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Keto's Fatal Flaw and the Fat Switch

Post Number:#18  Post by ofonorow » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:37 pm

The "news" from the medical medium source is that the brain is "mostly" carbohydrate, and has a glyocgen-like concentrated glucose storage, just as the liver does. In fact, I now personally believe that other than cell membranes, there are no fat deposits what-so-ever in the brain. I have also wondered about the claim that the brain can use ketones for fuel, and discovered the one case used to back up this claim, a person with no glucose in the blood and high keytones, who lived. However, they didn't know about the glucose store in the brain. According to the medical medium, the only other substance that can "power" the brain other than glucose is Adrenaline.

Glucose is vital for brain function, and limiting its intake can only hurt mental function.

The heart is different. I don't remember posting that the ONLY fuel used by the heart is glucose.The key seems to be that nutrients require glucose (insulin) to enter cells.

MM wrote:The truth is that glucose fuels the heart. This muscular organ, when it doesn’t get enough glucose—because the liver has run out of glucose and glycogen storage—can atrophy or enlarge. So there’s your connection: the liver’s sugar storage.

https://vitamincfoundation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15572#p62857

These words imply to me a direct connection between the liver and heart, a connection which supplies glucose to the heart, glucose that would not necessarily be in the normal blood stream.

As far as the study you linked looking at nutrients in the blood entering the heart (and legs) and exiting, glucose is near the top in the leg measurements, but is conspicuous by its absence in the heart measurements? Glucose is ubiquitous in the blood, so there should at least be a measurement on the intake side, one would think.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”