Protocol for High Blood Pressure & Cholesterol?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

rdmcewen
Contributor
Contributor

Protocol for High Blood Pressure & Cholesterol?

Post Number:#1  Post by rdmcewen » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:43 am

I guess, I should start off with some information about myself. I weigh 325 lbs/148 kg. My blood pressure is averaging around 140/95. I have had no procedures and currently not taking any medications. My last Lipid Panel

CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 200 H <200 (mg/dL) RGA
HDL CHOLESTEROL 38 L > OR = 40 (mg/dL) RGA
TRIGLYCERIDES 220 H <150 (mg/dL) RGA
LDL-CHOLESTEROL 125 H (mg/dL (calc)) RGA
- Reference range: <100
CHOL/HDLC RATIO 5.3 H <5.0 ((calc)) RGA
NON HDL CHOLESTEROL 162 H <130 (mg/dL (calc)) RGA

I am currently taking 2 doses, 1 morning and 1 night, of V-C 2250 mg, Lysine 2250 mg, Proline 500 mg along with V-D 5000 IU, CoQ10 (Ubiquinone) 100 MG, Fish Oil Omega 3's 1280 MG, Magnesium 270 MG and multivitamin. It seems I may should be taking higher doses of CoQ10 and Magnesium plus adding Vitamins A, E, and K? The multivitamin has them but not in doses recommended here. It also seems that adding a DMSO protocol may reduce the need of higher dosages in some of these?

The information seems all over the place. You read information from The Pauling Institute at Oregan State University which recommends 400 mg/day stating that most forms of vitamin-c sources are pretty equal when it comes to bio-availability. Liposomal encapsulated v-c needing more study.

The information in this forum makes it even more confusing, but if I understand correctly I probably should be on the higher end of dosing at 15k mg v-c, 6000 mg Lysine, and probably stick to the 1000 mg of Proline I am taking?

As a service technician starting my day at 5:30 AM and getting home roughly 8 PM my diet and exercise is not so good. Although, I do a decent amount of walking for work. I am in and out of the van at different facilities all day long on a varying schedule everyday. This makes dosing very difficult. It seems I should be taking 3750 mg/ 4 hours of v-c. I am pretty sure this is over my bowel tolerance. I guess I could try Liposomal v-c but the confusing data has me wondering if this is effective as it does not seem to increase levels in blood plasma even if higher amounts make it into the cells. It seems plasma levels is the goal though.

Any clarification and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Saw
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Protocol for High Blood Pressure & Cholesterol?

Post Number:#2  Post by Saw » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:46 pm

rdmcewen wrote:The information in this forum makes it even more confusing, but if I understand correctly I probably should be on the higher end of dosing at 15k mg v-c, 6000 mg Lysine, and probably stick to the 1000 mg of Proline I am taking?

typical PT dosage around here would be C -in the 20g range, Lysine - 6g, Proline -2g

For the others...
Personally I take E in the mixed tocopherol form
K2 as mk7
A and beta-carotene (I alternate)
B-Complex, in their active forms
D3 during winter

I don't take a multi as I've never seen one I like
I also take selenium and zinc pretty regular basis

You might consider looking into others like grape seed extract, Pycnogenol, lipoic acid
For high blood pressure L-Arginine/L-citrulline

The elimination of fake food from the diet is also important.
Even a Blind Squirrel makes his own vitamin C.

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by DiverDown2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:14 am

Supplements: Magnesium and potassium supplements can be your secret weapon in the fight against high blood pressure.

How Does Magnesium Lower Blood Pressure?
Magnesium is a mineral that aids in reducing blood pressure by preventing blood vessels from constricting. High blood pressure is caused by the constriction of the blood vessels.

Magnesium not only prevents blood vessel constriction, but it has also been shown to improve overall blood flow.

I take Magnesium Glycinate 1200mg. in Divided doses.
You could actually take enough magnesium to drop you B/P to Zero, Not Advised!!!!!!

rdmcewen
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#4  Post by rdmcewen » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:47 am

Articles like ”How Linus Pauling duped America into believing vitamin C cures colds” and reading this information "Linus Pauling Institute Recommendation" from Linus Pauling Institute at Oregan State University has me looking through a host of information about dosage for Ascorbic Acid.

I also do not believe I have the bowel tolerance for 5g 4 times/day or 6.6g 3 times/day. This has me considering Liposomal Vit C, but taking large amounts of pre-made Liposomal Vit C is price prohibitive and the DIY recipes seem highly debated. Add to that I read that Liposomal Vit C does not significantly increase Vit C levels in blood plasma due to higher absorption into other body cells. Higher Vit C levels in blood plasma seems to be what we are looking for. So, I am not sure if Liposomal Vit C is a good work around for bowel tolerance. I guess I could try mixing with Sodium Ascorbate or some other buffered form of Vit C.

I will, however, look at increasing Magnesium dosage as Magnesium Glycinate and adding the recommended supplements.

rdmcewen
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#5  Post by rdmcewen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:01 pm

So, the Cardiologist has prescribed Amlodipine Besylate 5 MG for my blood pressure. I have recently stopped use of all supplements due to GI issues after a round of 2 antibiotics for a swollen lymph node near jaw. Already using probiotics, but not much change from that.

I just received the meds so, I have yet to take anything. Be seeing doc about gi issues next week.

Trying to figure out a supplemental regime for current issues is not so easy. So, stopping all except the probiotics is what I have done.

rdmcewen
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#6  Post by rdmcewen » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:23 am

Getting to the end of my regimen for gi issues. I will be looking to get back to supplementation shortly. Looking through information on Magnesium forms. I did not realize there was so many.

DiverDown2 wrote:I take Magnesium Glycinate 1200mg. in Divided doses.

I have been struggling to figure out which form to take as many Google searches for a form for cardiovascular health have recommended Magnesium Taurate. The most common form seems to be Magnesium Oxide. Magnesium Glycinate seems somewhere in the middle. I am also wondering, since most potassium supplements are limited at 99 mg, how much potassium you are supplementing and what form. Googling only gets me articles such as this one, https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... supplement, stating you should not take a potassium supplement unless prescribed by a doctor.

Saw wrote:You might consider looking into others like grape seed extract, Pycnogenol, lipoic acid
For high blood pressure L-Arginine/L-citrulline

Any recommendations to figure out dosing for any of these?

Thanks,
Richard

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:05 pm

Status? You mentioned that you were stopping all your supplements. We often point out that Pauling in his book How To Live Longer and Feel Better wrote, "Do Not Stop Vitamin C Supplementation, Even for a Single Day."
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

rdmcewen
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#8  Post by rdmcewen » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:09 pm

Hi,

ofonorow wrote:Status? You mentioned that you were stopping all your supplements. We often point out that Pauling in his book How To Live Longer and Feel Better wrote, "Do Not Stop Vitamin C Supplementation, Even for a Single Day."

I am currently taking 1250 mg of Magnesium and 1000 mg of L-Arginine in a split dose. Half in the morning and half at night. I have seen no noticeable decrease in blood pressure at all. If GI remains stable I will start back with a Vitamin C, Lysine, and Proline protocol starting at 1000 mg/1000 mg/500 mg to gradually work my dosing back to where it was.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by pamojja » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:12 am

rdmcewen wrote:I am currently taking 1250 mg of Magnesium and 1000 mg of L-Arginine in a split dose. Half in the morning and half at night. I have seen no noticeable decrease in blood pressure at all.

Is the Magnesium elemental? (If not it might be too little to make a difference) A good starting dose of Arginine is about 3 g/d. Since the liver can't process that much at once better mix with Citrulline or/and AAKG, which are longer acting precursors of Arginine.

Potassium in supplements is limited to 99 mg per cap, because to much of it sitting in one place can damage the stomach walls. Prescription Potassium is higher dose but even riskier because of that. The safe way to supplement high doses of Potassium is using bulk-powders (Potassium citrate, -bicarbonate, or/and -chloride) well disolved in a glass of water, taken throughout the day.

That oral ascorbic acid isn't really absorbed in the body is kind of a myth. One study from New Zealand meassured the levels of 20 g per day dosers, and found them above 9 mg/dl. Normal would be around 1, but many not supplementing any are far below that. If I would be you I would try to titrate to bowel-tolerance untill you flush. And than take slightly less than that for some time.

My bowel-tolerance is usually at 50 g per day. With a cold easily escalating to where I can't even reach it anymore.

rdmcewen
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#10  Post by rdmcewen » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:58 pm

pamojja wrote:Is the Magnesium elemental?

I am taking Magnesium Glycinate. I will have to check out Citrulline and Potassium information. Do not know anything about Citrulline dosing or Potassium forms and dosing.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by pamojja » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:00 am

As you can see on the supplement fact label for example here: https://purebulk.com/products/magnesium ... cf41&_ss=r 2150 mg of Mg-glycinate contain 400 mg of elemental Magnesium only. Therefore only 18.6% of the total compound, the rest is Glycine. And from 1200 mg Mg-glycinate you only get 223.2 mg of elemental Magnesium a day, which might be much too little in your case. Always read the supplement label.

https://purebulk.com/search?type=product&q=citrulline
https://purebulk.com/search?type=product&q=potassium

rdmcewen
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#12  Post by rdmcewen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:48 am

I have doubled my intake of Magnesium Glycinate and L-Arganine. That should be around 225 mg of elemental magnesium twice a day. A total of 450 mg a day. Most things I read outside this forum state that around 400 mg per day is the top cut off for dosing elemental magnesium.

I have also resumed taking 2 doses, 1 morning and 1 night, of V-C (ascorbic acid) 2250 mg, Lysine 2250 mg, Proline 500 mg, V-D 5000 IU, CoQ10 (Ubiquinone) 100 MG, Fish Oil Omega 3's 1280 MG, and a multivitamin.

Currently bp is unstable. 1 day it will be 150/100 the next it will be 125/88. My plan is to stick with this for a few more weeks and see if BP will flatten out some.

Any suggestions?

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by pamojja » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:44 am

As a base would use Linus Pauling's book recommendations:

How to Live Longer and Feel Better

• Take vitamin C every day, 6 grams to 18 g (6000 to 18,000 milligrams), or more. Do not miss a single day.
  • Take vitamin E every day, 400 IU, 800 IU, or 1600 IU.
  • Take one or two Super-B tablets every day, to provide good amounts of the B-vitamins.
  • Take 25,000 IU vitamin A tablet every day.
  • Take a mineral supplement every day, such as one tablet of the Bronson vitamin-mineral formula, which provides 100 mg of calcium, 18 mg of iron, 0.15 mg of iodine, 1 mg of copper, 25 mg of magnesium, 3 mg of manganese, 15 mg of zinc, 0.015 mg of molybdenum, 0.015 mg of chromium, and 0.015 mg of selenium.
  • Keep your intake of ordinary sugar (sucrose, raw sugar, brown sugar, honey) to 50 pounds per year, which is half the present U.S. average. Do not add sugar to tea or coffee. Do not eat high-sugar foods. Avoid sweet desserts. Do not drink soft drink.
  • Except for avoiding sugar, eat what you like - but not too much of any one food. Eggs and meat are good foods. Also you should eat some vegetables and fruits. Do not eat so much food as to become obese.
  • Drink plenty of water every day.
  • Keep active; take some exercise. Do not at any time exert yourself physically to an extent far beyond what you are accustomed to.
  • Drink alcoholic beverages only in moderation.
  • Do not smoke cigarettes.
  • Avoid stress. Work at a job that you like. Be happy with your family.

And be aware, these were recommendations just to maintain good health. With chronic disease the higher doses are often essential. However, always start with low doses and increase gradually over weeks, months and years to find the optimal for you dosages. Idialy while monitoring blood-tests.

In my case with a severe Mg-deficiency not even increasing above 2 gram of elemental magnesium daily decreased pain-ful muscle-cramps from the deficiency. But only by additionally getting regular Mg-sulfate IVs. Hope you're not such a severe case like me.

Don't forget potassium and vitamin K2.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#14  Post by ofonorow » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:34 am

pamojja wrote:My bowel-tolerance is usually at 50 g per day. With a cold easily escalating to where I can't even reach it anymore.

I don't think I knew this. your bowel tolerance. If you decide to experiment with glucuose/dextrose - or even fruits - to see whether it reduces the amount of vit. C you require, let us know :) .

rdmcewen wrote:Currently bp is unstable. 1 day it will be 150/100 the next it will be 125/88. My plan is to stick with this for a few more weeks and see if BP will flatten out some.

In addition to magnesium, Bill Sardi wrote a paper showing that vitamin B6 was at least as effective as several blood pressure medications. No harm and might be worth trying adding a good B6 (e.g. P5P)

The Twilight Zone (medical medium) covers blood pressure. If memory serves (it may not) the root of elevated blood pressure usually originates with specific problems in the liver. I'd have reread (or you could read the book LIVER RESCUE https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Medium-Liver-Rescue-Gallstones/dp/1401954405/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=medical+medium+liver&qid=1617211875&sr=8-1) but I do remember something like a "biofilm" that develops, making it harder for the heart do draw blood. This "film" or mucous in the arterial system between the liver and heart. The analogy was the heart having to "suck" blood from a smaller "straw"... I don't remember the fix, but the main theme in the book:

#1. Glucose is good
#2. Fat (and to some extent protein) is bad.
#3 Viruses are the unknown cause of most chronic disease.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#15  Post by pamojja » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 am

ofonorow wrote:
pamojja wrote:My bowel-tolerance is usually at 50 g per day. With a cold easily escalating to where I can't even reach it anymore.

I don't think I knew this. your bowel tolerance. If you decide to experiment with glucuose/dextrose - or even fruits - to see whether it reduces the amount of vit. C you require, let us know :) .

I always ate fruits. Though since I've seen some unproportionally spike my blood-glucose, I did reduce for example 1 apple to only a half, and almost never bananas. A handful of blueberries still almost every day. When on vacations in the south of course daily tropical fruits (like part of a papaya).

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”