Hypertension

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Hypertension

Post Number:#16  Post by ofonorow » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:26 am

The best reference may be Dr. Thomas Levy's STOP AMERICA'S #1 KILLER. Dr. Levy clearly explains how weakness in the arterial wall leads to deposits of various kinds, cholesterol and calcium among them, depending to some extent on what is available to shore up the arterial wall. (The Pauling/Rath theory is that if we have sufficient collagen to keep the arterial walls strong, as is normal in most species which make their own vitamin C 24/7, then the atherosclerotic processes that Levy describes does not occur.)

Dr. Bush also describes the white soft atheromas which are the first to appear in the retinal arteries, and that later, the evidence of calcifications appear. I would predict that a person on a rat-poison style blood thinner would rapidly develop calcifications, for reasons of vitamin K antagonism discussed regularly on this forum.

My problem with a statement that either calcium or cholesterol "CAUSE" atherosclerosis is that these are not causes of the problem, the lack of vitamin C is the cause, but these (cholesterol and calcium) are tools the body uses in an attempt to repair arteries that are weakening.

This idea that a large part of the problem is due to calcium is hard for me to fathom, other than perhaps doctors put most heart patients on rat-poison style blood thinners.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#17  Post by J.Lilinoe » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks Owen for your response.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#18  Post by ofonorow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:28 am

A few more thoughts - you question has stimulated my thinking!

It is a misconception to consider atherosclerosis at all times bad. In the absence of vitamin C, these plaques are the reason human beings survive without otherwise sufficient collagen. The beauty of the Pauling/Rath understanding and solution is that restoring a single missing factor, vitamin C, to blood levels that "should" otherwise be there (if we were endogenously producing it 24/7 like most animals) the arteries stay strong. Strong arteries don't generally crack and the body doesn't look for "cement" (.e.g. cholesterol, calcium, etc.) to patch cracks.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#19  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:28 am

One of the key points that Levy makes is that vitamin C alone cannot overcome the ravages of cardiovascular disease in humans. I assume that is why he has a list of additional nutrients at the end of the book.

Another scientist, Bruce Ames, describes the damage to DNA in cells from vitamin deficiencies (folic acid, B12,etc) as resembling radiation poisoning.

Other factors both dietary and environmental coupled with mainstream medical ignorance and misinformation coupled with BigPharma greed keep people sick.

While conducting research on peroxynitrite, I was surprised to learn that the polyunsaturated fats pushed on us for 50 years are amongst the most atherogenic substances in the diet. While examing the Rosedale Diet I learned that high levels of insulin convert macrophages to foam cells.
So what?

No amount of any supplementation can overcome what you shove down your throat if your diet consists of foods that contain high amounts of omega 6 polyunsaturated fats , high fructose corn syrup, sugar and white flour. These "foods" promote chronic inflammation.
Diabetes and Syndrome X are just cardiovascular disease in disguise.

Diabetes and obesity are endemic. More fat cells in the body means more inflammation.

Just some things to think about.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#20  Post by ofonorow » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:58 am

One of the key points that Levy makes is that vitamin C alone cannot overcome the ravages of cardiovascular disease in humans. I assume that is why he has a list of additional nutrients at the end of the book.

Perhaps "overcome", but many of the other ingredients Levy recommends are to help shore up the ground substance between cells, e.g. C/S. And yes they are required in the absence of vitamin C. I think Dr. Rath said it best. Animals that make their own vitamin C don't suffer the same heart disease as animals (including) humans that do .
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”