Bowel tolerance and gastroenteritis (or similar)

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

Peterw

Bowel tolerance and gastroenteritis (or similar)

Post Number:#1  Post by Peterw » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:21 am

One thing which is confusing me is how to recognise bowel tolerance when you have a condition which is causing diarrhea anyway - gastroenteritis might be an extreme example, but others would include food intolerance or an 'upset tummy'. I am trying to get my son up to bowel tolerance to help with suspected mononucleosis, but he tends to have diarrhea every few days anyway, and was having it every night even before we started on high dosese of (lypo) vitamin C. he's on about 10gr/day, which if you use a 10 to 1 equivalence for lypo vs IV and allow for his body weight (he's 13) probably converts to about 200gm/day IV, which was Klenner's (or Cathcart's?) recommendation for mononucleosis. Now I don't know whether to increase the dosage to combat a possible GI problem, or reduce it because he has reached bowel tolerance.

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere on the foum, but I can't find it and I would have expected this to be quite a common question.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Bowel tolerance and gastroenteritis (or similar)

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:59 am

Thanks for posting. In our experience, one cannot use bowel tolerance with Lypo-C because it is almost all absorbed. (Bowel tolerance occurs when the body no longer absorbs ordinary vitamin C, at which point a great amount then reaches the rectum causing the diarrhea.)

One of the characteristics of "enough" vitamin C is a feeling of well being and a lack of symptoms from the illness. Sort of the top of Cathcart's curve (just before one reaches the point of diarrhea.) In my experience, the risks are all associated with too little vitamin C, rather than too much.

However, because Lypo-C is sodium ascorbate, I would probably place the equivalence at around 100 g of oral C when trying to use Cathcart's table to judge dosage. (1 to 5 rather than 1 to 10)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”