Vitamin C Flush Test

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

scurvyencounters
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vitamin C Flush Test

Post Number:#1  Post by scurvyencounters » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:12 am

http://www.holisticmd.org/mercury/

From A webpage focusing on holistic medicine and mercury detox

Vitamin C Flush test

We differ in how much Vitamin C (Vit C) or ascorbic acid we need at any given time of our lives. Vit C needs change and vary depending upon our health and nutritional state. If we have a cold, or body toxicity, our Vit C needs are greater than usual. The body has several ways to regulate Vit C levels. The first is the intestinal transport mechanism which limits the amount of Vit C tolerated. The rationale of this mechanism is being used in the Vit C flush test.

It is important to know which type of Vit C is being consumed. Different forms of Vit C are commercially available. Most forms are usually synthetic ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid comes in 2 forms or polymers: left (L) or right ®. They are look-alike mirror images but only the L polymer is biologically active, i.e. has value for our body functions. The human body can only utilize the L form of ascorbic acid. Unfortunately, most of the commercially sold ascorbic acid does not make a distinction between forms L and R. One company I recommend is Perque Potent C Guard, buffered ascorbate, which uses 100% L-ascorbate. It comes in 2 forms, pill or powder. Powder is easier to absorb, but pills are easier to handle. Vit C is an essential component in the chelation protocol. It is a known free-radical scavenger and has its own chelating properties.

How to do the Vitamin C flush test

Several hours are required for test completion. Plan to have close access to the bathroom throughout testing. It is easier to do the test with the powdered form of buffered Vit C. You will need to keep notes each time you take Vit C. Start the dose on an empty stomach.

Start taking 1/2tsp of Vit C powder diluted in water or juice, every 15 minutes and record the time of each dose. If after 4-5 doses there is no diarrhea, start taking 1 tsp of Vit C powder. When you have repetitive loose bowel movements, your intestines are signaling that they have reached a critical tolerance level of Vit C absorption. Give your body a rest for a few days.

Each tsp contains 3000 mg (3 gms) of Vit C. If you are taking pills, it is easier to dose but takes much longer for absorption and for your body to respond. Your Vit C body requirements can vary between 5ooo mg and 40000 mg.

For the next week or so you will need to take 75% of the achieved dose per day, in divided doses. For example, if you began running to the bathroom after taking 10,000mg Vit C, then your daily dose for the next week should be 7500mg/day divided into 3 doses making it 2500mg/dose. You can ingest the Vit C as pills or dissolved powder. Keep the dissolved powder with water in a dark bottle. Keep refrigerated and sip it all day long.

You may need to repeat the Vit C flush test weekly or every other week. In due time your tolerance will decrease and you will require less dosage.

Last edited by scurvyencounters on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Vitamin C Flush Test

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:20 am

I guess I don't understand the word "test." The idea of flushing the bowels with high doses of vitamin C is not new. And it makes sense that as toxins are "flushed" and other conditions are eased, vitamin C bowel tolerance would decline.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

scurvyencounters
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Vitamin C Flush Test

Post Number:#3  Post by scurvyencounters » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 pm

ofonorow wrote:I guess I don't understand the word "test." The idea of flushing the bowels with high doses of vitamin C is not new. And it makes sense that as toxins are "flushed" and other conditions are eased, vitamin C bowel tolerance would decline.

I guess it means that in the context of mercury chelation, the vitamin C bowel tolerance is a practical measure of the progress that has been made in detoxifying the mercury. Perhaps that is not new at all, but since dependably accurate assessments of mercury toxicity are expensive and not necessarily attainable, it seemed interesting to me to see a doctor describing bowel tolerance as a practical home measurement of mercury detox.

Please note I have edited and expanded the quoted portion in my first post. As I reread it now, I am not sure he is exactly saying that it is a test of mercury toxicity, however, it seems useful in that way to me.

I certainly am hopeful that if my son might seem to do well with lower levels of vitamin C, it may be an indicator of the progress made in mercury detox.

Ron

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”