Bamboozled by store employee at whole foods

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

NiacinVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bamboozled by store employee at whole foods

Post Number:#1  Post by NiacinVC » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:22 am

So I use whole foods AA powder and I ran out so I went to buy more but unfortunately all they had was pill form so I opted for my only other option that was powder which was a brand I had never heard of and the lady working the supplement section told me it was the same as whole foods brand and I was in a rush so I just took it and left. I get home and I open it and it is a different color than the whole foods AA. I look at the back and I realize its not AA and the manufacturer talks about how great it is because its Vitamin C complex(thanks to this site I know this to be BS).

The brand is Health Force Nutrionals Truly Natural C. States on the front of the bottle "Superior Absorption, No toxicity, Non-GMO"
Supplements Facts on the back - Naturally Occurring Food Source Vitamin C(302mg) ingredients-Acerola extract with Non-GMO Maltodextrin as a drying medium

My question is.....Is this even worth taking? really rubbed me the wrong way when I read "Vitamin C never occurs as an isolate in nature, it is part of an entire Vitamin C complex!"
"When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have"- Steven Hawking

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Bamboozled by store employee at whole foods

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 am

NiacinVC wrote:Is this even worth taking?

To dose with acerola extract in a many grams range would be too expensive. But otherwise I don't think there is any disadvantage to get some additional mgs of vit C from foods. Though many grams of a fast acting sugar like maltodextrin could of course cause problems again.

NiacinVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by NiacinVC » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:52 am

is vitamin C produced by the fruit better absorbed by human organisms than synthetic ascorbic acid as the bottle I bought would lead you to believe? Yah whole foods aa powder is 9$ and has way many more servings than this which was just shy of 20$.
"When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have"- Steven Hawking

VanCanada

Post Number:#4  Post by VanCanada » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Take it back to the store. You paid much more, and you received much less. If you get any resistance say you were sold it fraudulently. What you were told by that employee is not true. She was acting as an agent (employee) of Whole Foods, correct? Is so, they got your money based on a lie. It's that simple.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by pamojja » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm

NiacinVC wrote:is vitamin C produced by the fruit better absorbed by human organisms than synthetic ascorbic acid as the bottle I bought would lead you to believe?

Wikipedia article thinks so. Nevertheless, better absorption could still not compete with plain ascorbic acid taken as many grams. The only advantage I could see in such phyto-extracts is the additional flavonoids content with it's own benefit.

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by majkinetor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:07 am

Ditto pamojja.

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”