Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

nic
Contributor
Contributor

Use Instructions for Quali-C and Cardio C

Post Number:#1  Post by nic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:02 pm

1. I read at
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13676
that pre-mixing your C in water you lose 50% of potency in 4 hours.

how long can you leave it in solution before drinking? ...or best to just mix and drink immediately?

2. I understand many doses a day to ensure a constant inflow of C would be ideal - but not as convenient as two doses per day for example. Is there a happy medium recommended? Ideal to go every 2 hours? 3 hours?

3. Have some Quali-C ~ 2 years old, and some Panacea Liposomal C ~ 2 years old that has been in the fridge (in the past I was not taking religiously as I should have). How much potency lost?

4. What is the shelf life for powder vs. liposomal?

Thanks,

Nic

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Use Instructions for Quali-C and Cardio C

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:08 am

nic wrote:1. I read at
http://www.vitaminc.foundation/forum/vi ... =3&t=13676
that pre-mixing your C in water you lose 50% of potency in 4 hours.

In theory based on Sherry Lewin's laboratory studies, however, that curve is based on concentration. Higher concentrations will slow the degradation. So yes, there is a loss up to 50% for leaving vitamin C in water, but
A) it is possible that the amino 'leaching" that leads to higher bioavailability in the gut, also protects Cardio-C in water.
B) Adding some addition vitamin C powder, can overcome the loss
C) And drinking what you can early, improves the odds of obtaining the required potency. (I leave my daily bottle in the fridge and now sip throughout the day.)

how long can you leave it in solution before drinking? ...or best to just mix and drink immediately?

See above, I'd take the first drink right away, and potentially add more C powder if you plan on waiting to drink.

2. I understand many doses a day to ensure a constant inflow of C would be ideal - but not as convenient as two doses per day for example. Is there a happy medium recommended? Ideal to go every 2 hours? 3 hours?

For many many years after reading Pauling's book HTLLAFB in 1986, I would take 9 grams, twice per day (as Pauling himself said that he did.) If I missed the second dose, my scratchy throat would remind me.. (Remember Pauling said never miss a day, at least one dose.)

After the book ASCORBATE: THE SCIENCE OF VITAMIN C by Hickey/Roberts introduced the Dynamic Flow theory, and we learned that the half life in the blood stream is 30 minutes (not all the much different from vitamin C in water) and that a small amount, more frequently, could maintain the 1.5 mg/dl blood levels, I began to divide up my dosages. Now, I fill a water bottle and sip throughout the day. In theory, you require less total vitamin C, e.g. 500 mg/4 hours, or 1500 mg every 12 hours (instead of 9000 mg every 12 hours per Pauling). But your right, fewer dosages are much more convenient, even if more expensive.

3. Have some Quali-C ~ 2 years old, and some Panacea Liposomal C ~ 2 years old that has been in the fridge (in the past I was not taking religiously as I should have). How much potency lost?

See answer to next question.

4. What is the shelf life for powder vs. liposomal?

Thanks,

Nic

By accident, we found a 7 year old jar of the World's Finest C (DSM Quali-C fine powder) and it was nearly perfect. No discoloration. It has been stored in a cool, dry place. We believe that the shelf life is close to indefinite because the product is pure, and there is nothing for the vitamin to react with (and thus degrade.)

Testing as shown that the liposomal has a shelf life at least 18 months. If in the refrigerator, the Lipo may still be good, and probably is if the consistency is like a new jar.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath

Return to “Products”