sodium ascorbate cloudy following Cathcart's instructions

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

sodium ascorbate cloudy following Cathcart's instructions

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 20, 2015 11:01 am

Hoping some reader will have the expertise to answer this.

We have received multiple reports of a "cloudy solution" problem from various docs trying to follow Catcharts instructions and mix their own sodium ascorbate for intravenous infusion.

In the updated IVC Preparation Document by Cathcart (http://vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/civprep.pdf) Dr. Levy mentions the need for a magnetic stirrer.

Thomas Levy wrote: If possible, use powder rather than crystals. Mixes much more quickly. Makes a big​ ​
difference when doing lots of IVs. Also--essential is a magnetic stirrer, with crystals or powder

Perhaps this "cloudy solution" problem is what the stirrer is meant to overcome?

​I have started to do some mixing experiments with our sodium ascorbate. I began with 10 grams of sodium ascorbate. According to my understanding, Cathcart would have recommended 10 grams (10 CCs) of water to create a 50/50 stock solution.​

​​However, there is no way that 10 grams of sodium ascorbate will dissolve in 10 CCs of water? (I doubt a mixer would make any difference). I had to add almost 10 times as much water, or 100 CCs of water before the 10 grams of sodium ascorbate in solution turned clear (and there was a soapy residue that floated to the top - perhaps bubbles from the stirring.)

I wonder if the reason those more experienced doctors do not report problems is because they are using a stirrer, or is my understanding off by a factor of 10?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: sodium ascorbate cloudy following Cathcart's instructions

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 20, 2015 12:00 pm

It would be cloudy if agitated but not completely dissolved. However, if this is case, it should clear with still some undissolved powder/crystals after a few moments.

If, however, it is cloudy and stays cloudy, something is wrong, or there is too much C.

I suspect the magnetic stirrer is what is needed if the amount of C is correct. It can do in 5 minutes what 30 to 60 minutes of regular stirring or swirling would take.

However, it appears the concentration of C, as described below, is too high. It takes 2 cc of water to dissolve 1 gram of powder. Above that, it is supersaturated. The commercial vials, with 25 grams in 50 cc water, is really as concentrated as you can make it.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Levy

Note Cathcart is describing dissolving 250 grams of vitamin C powder in 500 cc sterile water, which is one gram per two cc water.

I think it boils down to the volume of water that has to be added to 250 grams of sodium ascorbate to equal 500 CCs as described by Cathcart.

He mentioned 250 grams of powder take up 300 CC in the bag. I have (maybe wrongly) assumed there would be some compaction, but that roughly 250 CC of water was added to make the 500 CC stock solution. I cannot imagine, (and will try the experiment), that a full 500 CCs of water can be added to the 250 grams of sodium ascorbate - even dissolved - in a 500 CC bag?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: sodium ascorbate cloudy following Cathcart's instructions

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Thomas Levy wrote:Owen, it doesn't take up a large volume when dissolved.

Also, a 500 cc bag can take up to 300 cc more water/solvent when you push it.

However, we would put 250 grams of C in a wide mouth beaker, add the 500 cc sterile water from a bottle (not any longer available), and the magnetic stirrer in the open beaker would dissolve it all in a few minutes. All the solution then fit back into the original bottle without any problem. Then we would get an evacuated 500 cc bottle and transfer the solution from the one bottle through a micropore filter line into the evacuated bottle.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”