Telomere Timebomb

Discussion of the 2009 Noble Prize in Medicine, focusing on substances that reduce telomere shortening by activating the human telomerase enzyme

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Telomere Timebomb

Post Number:#16  Post by ofonorow » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:59 am

Maybe just a wee bit hasty on the thumbs-down on Product B without even really trying (based on the miniscule amounts on the product label.)

One of my "measures" at my age (what 61 years old - almost) is libido. After only 2 or 3 days now taking the recommended dosage (4 capsules) I have to report an uptick in you know what... Jury is still out (and the crackingaging products have been shipped and are to arrive today.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#17  Post by ofonorow » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:29 am

Time to report.

My wife and I have been taking the CrackAging TA-65 knockoffs, supposedly 98% pure Cycloastragenol/Astragaloside IV.

I feel good and my wife mentioned this morning that she feels "great". She has not noticed any change in her dreams, but I have, along the lines Ed Park mentions in the book. That was about the only thing - until last night.

Last night around 2 to 3 a.m. I got a headache? I never get headaches. Felt something like a caffeine withdrawal (which author Cherniske explains is because caffeine constricts the arteries and in the brain, when they start to relax they expand causing the pain.)

We are taking the C/A knockoffs before bed, as Dr. Park advises. Last night, we decided to give these expensive pills a rest. One night not taking them and I develop a headache. But not my wife.

I was supposed to meet with a well-to-do acquaintance yesterday who has been taking TA-65 and ask him some questions. That meeting is probably next week.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#18  Post by tjohnson_nb » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:53 am

ofonorow wrote:Maybe just a wee bit hasty on the thumbs-down on Product B without even really trying (based on the miniscule amounts on the product label.)

One of my "measures" at my age (what 61 years old - almost) is libido. After only 2 or 3 days now taking the recommended dosage (4 capsules) I have to report an uptick in you know what... Jury is still out (and the crackingaging products have been shipped and are to arrive today.)

I actually find Vit C has that effect on me.
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#19  Post by ofonorow » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:12 pm

I did get the following email from the acquaintance. I don't know his age, but I suspect he is older than I am.

Good morning Owen,

I was reading your email this morning. What I have to tell you about TA-65 is that it is simply excellent. You start out at level 1, which I believe is $400. Then they kick you up to level 2, which is $800. Then they try for level 3, which is $1,200 a month. That is ridiculous - to pay $1,200 a month. So I began to look around for a copy. Then I tried to figure out how this was made. It does make you feel younger and more alert but I do not find that worth the $1,200.

Structured water does some of these things. Now it does not do all of those things. Structured water is supposed to do what TA-65 accomplishes - stop the telomeres from getting any shorter and make them longer. So far structured water has been a benefit to me.

I have a lot of great things to tell you about structured water. If you go to https://www.youtube.com/user/Designerwateryourway , you can see some of the things that have been accomplished with structured water. ... Structured water truly is something that is beneficial to mankind.

We will talk. Have a great day and a good Thanksgiving.

Best Wishes,

Personally I hadn't heard about "structured water" until one of the 3 Steven Cherniske books which presents the interesting research. (Probably in the same book/section where I found the reference to the Hutchison findings more glasses of water per day in women reduces the risk of colon cancer.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#20  Post by Johnwen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:24 am

This kind of keeps with the aging process but as usual the Drug companies have their own idea. Instead of looking to fix the problem of aging they feel it would be more to everyones best interest just to keep the old people from getting sick.
Let's see get them off social security sooner and less medical costs and do it with a pill they sell them yep! sounds about right!

Anyway here's the article and the wiki on one of the drugs their looking at that's already in use Like drug stent's.

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Health-New ... id/605627/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirolimus
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#21  Post by ofonorow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Interesting from the wiki link.
Lifespan extension in mice

Rapamycin was first shown to extend lifespan in eukaryotes in 2006.[35] Powers et al. showed a dose-responsive effect of rapamycin on lifespan extension in yeast cells. Building on this and other work, in a 2009 study, the lifespans of mice fed rapamycin were increased between 28 and 38% from the beginning of treatment, or 9 to 14% in total increased maximum lifespan. Of particular note, the treatment began in mice aged 20 months, the equivalent of 60 human years. This suggests the possibility of an effective antiaging treatment for humans at an already-advanced age, as opposed to requiring a lifelong regimen beginning in youth.[36]

Because rapamycin at high doses can suppress the immune system, people taking rapamycin for transplant or cancer therapy are more susceptible to dangerous infections. It is not known whether rapamycin will have similar lifespan-lengthening effects in humans, and study authors caution that the drug should not be used by the general population for this use.[37] Researchers have attempted to address the potential immunosuppressive effects of rapamycin at low doses and found that it can enhance the ability of the immune system to utilize a vaccine against tuberculosis.[38]

So why does suppressing the immune system extend life? (Added. It is confusing because the analog drug apparently improved the immune system in the first article?

And it would be nice if these aging experiments also measured telomeres - including those studying the Ames A. L. Carntine and Alpha Lipoic Acid.

So back to telomeres and telomerase. I heard at a party last weekend that Al Sears says vitamin E either extends (or reduces the shortening of) telomeres. Thinks it is a big deal and found this from a google search
Dr Sear's Telomere Secrets: Volume 1. Activate the Enzyme that Rebuilds your Telomeres
http://www.alsearsmd.com/pdf/Telemere-Secrets-Volume1.pdf
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#22  Post by ofonorow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:52 pm

This is a Wow - from that Sears link. http://www.alsearsmd.com/pdf/Telemere-Secrets-Volume1.pdf (You have to read Ed. Park's book to understand the significance here. Increasing telomerase in stem cells.)

Dr. Sears’ Telomere Secrets: Volume 1: Activate the Enzyme That Rebuilds Your Telomeres

Vitamin C:
We knew vitamin C prevented the loss of your telomeres, but we now have evidence that it increases telomerase activity in specific stem cells.

This may wind up scientifically validating Linus Pauling's estimate in HTLLAFB that vitamin C extends life and well being by 15 or 20 years!
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#23  Post by ofonorow » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:18 am

Here is the vitamin C/stem cell study Sears referenced.
[url]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3299914/[/url]

Vitamin C Treatment Promotes Mesenchymal Stem Cell Sheet Formation and Tissue Regeneration by Elevating Telomerase Activity
F.L. Wei,1 C.Y. Qu,2 T.L. Song,1 G. Ding,1 Z.P. Fan,1 D.Y. Liu,1 Y. Liu,1 C.M. Zhang,1 S. Shi,2,* and S.L. Wang1,3,*

J Cell Physiol. Author manuscript; available in PMC Sep 1, 2013.
Published in final edited form as:
J Cell Physiol. Sep 2012; 227(9): 3216–3224.
doi: 10.1002/jcp.24012
PMCID: PMC3299914
NIHMSID: NIHMS339645
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#24  Post by ofonorow » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:11 am

I understand the nature of bias, such as when you purchase a new car, and start seeing that make/model all the time when you hadn't noticed before the purchase. The person who stopped in the store and told us about Dr. Park's book talked with Park and confirmed that these crackaging knock-offs are the same thing as TA-65. And although my wife and I have been taking melatonin before bed, probably for 20 years, we now have both started noticing the "vivid dreaming" aspect described in Park's book. And the other night, I do have new glasses, but noticed my night vision was exceptionally good - for a change.

In other posts, we often point out that animals make their own vitamin C 24/7 and thus are constantly flush with ascorbate, but we run into the issue that most species are very short lived. I know these substances and testing for telomere length are expensive, but it would be interesting to know if the life spans of animals can be extended, as a proving ground for humans of sorts. Plus I can't help thinking about the market for pets. If the healthy life span of a pet could be doubled for example. If anyone runs into telomerase activation studies on animals, please post the links.

Added.
Extension of Cell Life-Span and Telomere Length in Animals Cloned from Senescent Somatic Cells
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/288/5466/665.short
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#25  Post by tjohnson_nb » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:47 am

Not sure what you are referring to by 'vivid dreaming' but I start having like nightmares after I take melatonin for awhile.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#26  Post by ofonorow » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:55 pm

People report that - one explanation is that you are in a deeper (REM) sleep.

My wife and I have taken large doses of Melatonin for more than 20 years, but this recent dreaming is more intense, and more memorable.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#27  Post by ofonorow » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:57 am

I purchased and read William (Bill) Andrews CURING AGING. This is a more compelling (and shorter) book on telomeres. It was written by the head scientist whose team isolated/discovered human telomerase. Dr. Andrews knows the history, paints a strong objective case that only good things come from increasing telomerase inside cells. His case against telomerase causing cancer seems ironclad. (In fact he makes the case the shortened telomeres create bad chromozones which lead to cancers.)

He formed a company (Sierra Sciences cure-aging-or-die-trying.com) that has the ability to study hundreds of thousands of substances. They are looking at their ability to work inside cells to "turn on" the gene that produces telomerase. DNA is the same in every cell, and various human cells can produce telomerase. The theory is that a protein attaches or binds to the gene in "mortal" cells, preventing them from expressing and thus producing the telomerase enzyme. He (his group) have identified the protein, and they are looking for substances that "unbind" this particular protein. They have a scoring system, 0 - no effect, and 100 - full expression. I believe when the book was written they may have gotten to 16.

According to Andrews, when they find a substance with a score above 100 - they would expect actual age reversal - not only stopping aging.

Here is a story about a Harvard team Andrews mentions in the book. Apparently, mice express telomerase naturally (and die/age from another mechanism??) They had to create mice where they could turn on and off the telomerase gene, in order for mice to show the same signs of aging we do - e.g. loss of hair, graying hair, etc. Then turning the gene on they were able to demonstrate some reversal of aging.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/11/partial-reversal-of-aging-achieved-in-mice/
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Van Carman
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#28  Post by Van Carman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:18 pm

Some years ago I found an article: What kills a horse.I have never been able to refind it.In a few words a horse goes through life with very little aging.At a certain point one of the liver enzyme precursors of ascorbic acid is turned off and within a few weeks the horse dies of scurvy.Try to find this article as it was an eyeopener for me.Thanks,Van
cinnamon and scurvy

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#29  Post by ofonorow » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:31 am

Very interesting van. The statement that mice produce telomerase yet die for "other reasons" begs the question what reason? If telomerase is the answer for aging, it may protect the mice from ordinary aging - like the horse - but why isn't the life span extended?

Added saving the link to this paper.

Extension of Life-Span by Introduction of Telomerase into Normal Human Cells

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/279/5349/349
Andrea G. Bodnar*,
Michel Ouellette*,
Maria Frolkis,
Shawn E. Holt,
Choy-Pik Chiu,
Gregg B. Morin,
Calvin B. Harley,
Jerry W. Shay,
Serge Lichtsteiner†,
Woodring E. Wright†
anuary 1998
> Bodnar et al., 279 (5349): 349-352

American Physical Society
Prev | Table of Contents | Next
Science 16 January 1998:
Vol. 279 no. 5349 pp. 349-352
DOI: 10.1126/science.279.5349.349

Research Article
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#30  Post by tjohnson_nb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:46 pm

I found this to be an excellent documentary about modern theories about aging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIhMEeyImO8

Return to “Telomeres”