AA vs. sodium ascorbate for Pauling therapy

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

Starwanderer

AA vs. sodium ascorbate for Pauling therapy

Post Number:#1  Post by Starwanderer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 pm

I have been preaching the virtues of the Pauling therapy to a co-worker with recent heart problems. He is willing to try, but is complaining that AA is too harsh on his stomach and would prefer sodium ascorbate.

I know that Pauling recommended AA with l-Lysine. If he uses sodium ascorbate for most or all of his vitamin C intake, will the Pauling therapy be as effective or even effective at all?

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: AA vs. sodium ascorbate for Pauling therapy

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 am

Starwanderer wrote:I know that Pauling recommended AA with l-Lysine. If he uses sodium ascorbate for most or all of his vitamin C intake, will the Pauling therapy be as effective or even effective at all?

Even Linus Pauling took some bicarbonate with ascorbic acid in water. To mask the taste also stevia-extract or by using it in fruit-juices would do.

The question if it will be effective when only sodium ascorbate is taken, is a bid difficult to answer, since even with ascorbic acid one particular dose helping one person might be ineffective for an other, with more serious disease. But in any case, any is better than none. Also good not to forget that Pauling not only recommended ascorbic acid and lysine for heart problems, but much, much more even just to maintain good health:

How to Live Longer and Feel Better

• Take vitamin C every day, 6 grams to 18 g (6000 to 18,000 milligrams), or more. Do not miss a single day.
  • Take vitamin E every day, 400 IU, 800 IU, or 1600 IU.
  • Take one or two Super-B tablets every day, to provide good amounts of the B-vitamins.
  • Take 25,000 IU vitamin A tablet every day.
  • Take a mineral supplement every day, such as one tablet of the Bronson vitamin-mineral formula, which provides 100 mg of calcium, 18 mg of iron, 0.15 mg of iodine, 1 mg of copper, 25 mg of magnesium, 3 mg of manganese, 15 mg of zinc, 0.015 mg of molybdenum, 0.015 mg of chromium, and 0.015 mg of selenium.
  • Keep your intake of ordinary sugar (sucrose, raw sugar, brown sugar, honey) to 50 pounds per year, which is half the present U.S. average. Do not add sugar to tea or coffee. Do not eat high-sugar foods. Avoid sweet desserts. Do not drink soft drink.
  • Except for avoiding sugar, eat what you like - but not too much of any one food. Eggs and meat are good foods. Also you should eat some vegetables and fruits. Do not eat so much food as to become obese.
  • Drink plenty of water every day.
  • Keep active; take some exercise. Do not at any time exert yourself physically to an extent far beyond what you are accustomed to.
  • Drink alcoholic beverages only in moderation.
  • Do not smoke cigarettes.
  • Avoid stress. Work at a job that you like. Be happy with your family.

Too many think Pauling therapy is vitamin C and lysine only, and accordingly get less than desirable results.

Starwanderer wrote:I have been preaching the virtues of the Pauling therapy to a co-worker with recent heart problems. He is willing to try, but is complaining that AA is too harsh on his stomach and would prefer sodium ascorbate.

Don't waste too much of your time. People who need to be convinced aren't concerned enough about their state of health, usually believe their doctors without being able to do their own research, and therefore aren't conscientious to be compliant with Pauling therapy - which includes life-style factors - in the long run.

Jacquie
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by Jacquie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:28 pm

pamojja wrote:Don't waste too much of your time. People who need to be convinced aren't concerned enough about their state of health, usually believe their doctors without being able to do their own research, and therefore aren't conscientious to be compliant with Pauling therapy - which includes life-style factors - in the long run.

I wish this wasn't so true. Most people who grew up under the current medical system refuse to take responsibility for their own health, are even afraid to. They regard doctors as infallible and powerful as much as children do their parents.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:25 am

Great answers already, but I noticed

is complaining that AA is too harsh on his stomach and would prefer sodium ascorbate

Meaning this individual is pretty knowledgeable and has tried AA with some difficulty, e.g. GERD.

Point #1 - both AA and SA carry the ascorbate ion, and so long as that ion can make it intact into the blood stream, there should be adequate production of collagen to help strengthen arteries. Our own preliminary bioavailabiity of Vitamin C research, based on monitoring vitamin C levels with "glucose" meters, shows that the amounts that enter the blood stream have a vastly different foot print. AA is rapid and reaches very high temporary levels, while SA is much slower, more like a timed release. Given this, the issue with SA is preserving the highly volatile vitamin during its long journey down the digestive tract. From Biochemist Sherry Lewin (1976) we learn that while carbohydrates in the digestive tract tend to break down vitamin C, proteins (e.g. amino acids) can "chelate" with the vitamin, allowing it to pass intact through the intestinal wall into the blood stream. (This little miracle may help explain some of the effect of the Pauling protocol products - vitamin C with an amino acid (lysine))

Point #2 - GERD is inflammation in the lower esophagus, and is aggravated by AA but not SA.

Now I personally mix my daily bottle of vitamin C with approximately 40% sodium ascorbate, and 60% ascorbic acid. (I still have a touch of GERD now and then since I have cut back on my own hydrocortisone.) I think this is probably the approach people with "stomach" discomfort should try.. Start with all SA, and then start replacing with some AA, and see how much AA they can tolerate without issues.

Ideas,

One of the reasons we came out with the AA capsules was to help avoid the acid going down the throat and irritating the lining. (The natural state in the stomach *IS* acidic, but this is another story)

If you take SA it is even more important to avoid Carbs for 2 hours, and try to take the SA with proteins.

Finally, liposomal vitamin C is a more expensive option for those who cannot tolerate even small amounts of either AA or SA.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

eDOC
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by eDOC » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Starwanderer wrote:He is willing to try, but is complaining that AA is too harsh on his stomach and would prefer sodium ascorbate.

I know that Pauling recommended AA with l-Lysine. If he uses sodium ascorbate for most or all of his vitamin C intake, will the Pauling therapy be as effective or even effective at all?

OF course would be effective, rather more, forget what Pauling said/wrote. But you require more besides Lysine and SA.........

eDOC!!
Rookie, rusty, sub average doc but one that gives results.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”