Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Can Vitamin C Raise Insulin Levels?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 am

Hi Owen,

Read your article on liposomal and glucose. I'm confused a bit...does Ascorbic acid raise insulin levels? I know it can interfere with glucose monitors, but now wondering if high dose C will raise insulin. I'm not diabetic, but have other health issues including a bad heart valve, and I'm trying to do all I can to reduce inflammation. I take about 5-6 grams of ascorbic acid.

I do take some lipo C as well, but don't want to high dose as its more expensive and I personally believe it could be too much lecithin, so I really on plain ascorbic acid for most of my C.

Thanks,
D

It is an interesting and open question whether high dose ascorbic acid can trigger insulin release by the pancreas. I don't know, and maybe forum members do or can help.

I tended to think not, at least in most people, based on the experience with very high dose intravenous vitamin C. Doctors feel they have to add insulin to the drip to "target" cancers, and if the high dose on its own produced an insulin release, I didn't think they would have to do that.

Also, the benefits of high dose vitamin C are well known, and in my case, for years on 18,000 mg orally, my blood sugar was constant at 90 mg/dl. One would think that my blood sugar would tend to be low (hypoglycemic) if high dose ascorbic acid produced insulin release.

But I have read material, some I think by Roger J Williams, PhD, that indicates there are findings that high vitamin C can, at least in some people, produce a reaction in the pancreas similar to that produced by high blood sugar.

I'm interested to see what others know or can find.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Can Vitamin C Raise Insulin Levels?

Post Number:#2  Post by jimmylesante » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Interesting question as it is one i was discussing earlier today :shock:

Vitamin C being a Hexose like glucose will induce insulin and give a false high reading on a glucometer. No insulin should be given for 6hrs after Vitamin C IV.
1)Bergsten P, Moura AS, et al. Ascorbic Acid and Insulin secretion in Pancreatic Islets. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. Vol. 269, no. 2, 14 Jan 1994; pp. 1041-1045[168] Sumangala Vasudevan1 and Irl B. Hirsch2.
2)Interference of Intravenous Vitamin C With Blood Glucose Testing. Diabetes Care 2014 May; 37(5): e93-e94. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-2452

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:51 am

Thank you Jimmy, I'll see if I can access and read that paper. This from Dr. Levy...

Hello Owen,

I don't know that you can say VC "raises" insulin levels as some sort of permanent or semi-permanent change, but VC, between 5 and 50 grams, given rapidly (5 to 30 minutes) will predictably and reliably drop glucose levels to as low as 20 to 30. The pancreas "interprets" the load of VC as the similarly structured glucose molecule, and it then puts out a large amount of insulin to "metabolize" that load just as it does during a standard glucose tolerance test.

Dr. Levy

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 am

The thought occurred that this may be the reason an ordinary person (not a Type-I like diabetic) cannot repeat our glucose meter measuring vitamin C experiments, the induced insulin would affect the results.

Jimmy,

Thanks for the reference. Referring to the paper, the person in question was a Type I diabetic using glucose testing to determine her insulin dose to inject. This paper supports our ideas about using the glucose monitors to measure vitamin C, which is out of the blood within hours, but has nothing to say about whether high dose vitamin C illicits an insulin response in nondiabetics

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”