Was my fasting premature

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

BaronZemo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Was my fasting premature

Post Number:#1  Post by BaronZemo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:11 pm

two days before I had a blood yest I fasted for two days only taking pauling supplements and coffee. I read that fasting will increase cholesterol and glucose levels. Should I ask the doctor if my readings are high for a new blood test, and eat mono and poly fats before hand next time to get them lower?

Also what was Paulings take on diabetes 1 or two with regards to his protocol? Any advice to keep glucose insulin levels working?

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Was my fasting premature

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 am

Since lipids are usually tested after a about 12 hours fast, there are well established reference ranges (though different for different purposes) and most easy to interpret for everyone. We don't have such for either non-fasted or longer fast. Therefore better get a serie of regular 12-hour fasted ones, before exploring what lipids do in other states. At this point with a 2 day fast you simply wont find anyone who knows how to interpret.

I once did a lipids panel right after eating to see how different it would turn out, compared to the lipid panel 12 hrs fasted just before the meal. These were the results:

Code: Select all

2014        fasting     postpr.          %
TC             148         163          10
HDL             38            41           8
TC/HDL         3,9            4,0           2
nonHDL        110             122          11
LDL             87           96          10
VLDL             22            27         20
TG             112          133         18
BG             100         124         24
TG/HDL         2,9             3,2        11
LDL/HDL        2,3          2,3           1
TC/HDL        3,9              4,0            2

BaronZemo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by BaronZemo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:48 am

So it looks like with a 12 hour fast your numbers were better...so as far as the doctor not being able to read or interpret,, does that mean the readings would be to high or varied that could get a picture of my lipids and a1c?

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:06 am

12 hours fasting testing isn't better, it just eliminates variables to give more predictive results and is therefore easier to interpret. Your readings could be higher or lower and nobody would know what that means.

HbA1c shouldn't influenced, since it gives the percentage of glycated hemoglobin. With an average life-cycle of hemoglobin of 3 month, this value isn't influenced at all like glucose measurements. But gives the average of the last 3 month.

However, high dose vitamin C, like 20g a day, does lower a HbA1c according to one study up to 1% less! That means while taking such high vitamin C, one better relies on multiples glucose readings (with a cheap glucose reader) and going by the average.

BaronZemo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by BaronZemo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 am

However, high dose vitamin C, like 20g a day, does lower a HbA1c according to one study up to 1% less! That means while taking such high vitamin C, one better relies on multiples glucose readings (with a cheap glucose reader) and going by the average.

In other words not too much. I reread some passages in Paulings book and he said high C could improve insulin levels and also cited a experiment from the early 1970's that said vitamin e would help with that as well, but it was never fully tested. The only supplements that are supposed to influence diabetes is chromium, cinnamon and alpha lipoic acid, and I think the evidence that they actually do anything is nonexistent.

so after doing the Pauling protocol your numbers listed above improved for cholesterol etc from what they were pre Pauling?

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by pamojja » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 am

BaronZemo wrote:so after doing the Pauling protocol your numbers listed above improved for cholesterol etc from what they were pre Pauling?

The numbers listed above are from 2014, I already started PT 10 years ago. So they are one of the many random after-numbers.

If you click on that link: https://www.longecity.org/forum/stacks/ ... emissions/ and scroll way down and click on a small red graphic, it enlarges and you can see all the changes to my basic lipids the last 10 years. But as you can read there, Pauling's therapy is only my base, as such the most important - but other supplements, diet and other lifestyle changes were additionally necessary for remission in my serious case with too many chronic conditions (PAD, COPD, T2D, ME/CFS..).

BaronZemo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#7  Post by BaronZemo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks very informative link...btw what would you attribute to getting your energy back, I am still tired

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by pamojja » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:41 pm

BaronZemo wrote:Thanks very informative link...btw what would you attribute to getting your energy back, I am still tired

Since it took so many interventions and so long (10 years in total) I assume leaving out even one intervention - and it wouldn't have worked that well. The latest pulling of the root-canal treated tooth, getting in control of my runaway Mg-deficiency with IVs, and LDN were definitely necessary too.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”