Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: vitamin C, iodine, vegetarian diet

Post Number:#31  Post by pamojja » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Joanna45 wrote:Pamojja..
I had 50% narrowing of the superior mesenteric artery..and the mesenteric celiac artery..which feeds blood to the stomach ..glad I cought it when I did ..and so thankful I found this forum..the doctors did not have any good answers on how to treat it..
And i was very sick could not eat ..and it only took a week to start feeling better and after a month could do anything again..walking, hiking, skiing, all the things I love ..I credit vitamin C and Lysine as the cure and K2 for getting rid of the calcium and hopefully putting it in back in the bones where it belongs.

Great success, congratulations!

gmdodaro wrote:Pamojja,
You might get some good information from the guy who developed the Vitamin K2 I'm taking: http://www.k-vitamins.com/index.php?page=My_Story

I know him and his side from the old TrackYourPlaque forum vwell. Actually it was me recommending him to use only half the dose per pill than he original planed. Because I feared couldn't afford it otherwise ;-)

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#32  Post by gmdodaro » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:50 pm

pamojja,
Patrick, who sells the vitamin K, is always cordial. It seems his progress was better after he started taking Armour thyroid 120 per day. That apparently brought his T3 up around 5. I took Armour for a couple of months, 60 per day, until I started with the high dosage Iodine. Thought better not to over do it.

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#33  Post by gmdodaro » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:30 am

Zarfas,
Thanks for the info.
Another interesting thing about testosterone: I have Thalassemia. It's a genetic blood disorder that results in red blood cell depletion. I've been anemic all my life, but when I started taking testosterone, my hematocrit increased several points.

Frodo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#34  Post by Frodo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 am

Joanna45 wrote:Pamojja..
I had 50% narrowing of the superior mesenteric artery..and the mesenteric celiac artery..which feeds blood to the stomach ..glad I cought it when I did ..and so thankful I found this forum..the doctors did not have any good answers on how to treat it..
And i was very sick could not eat ..and it only took a week to start feeling better and after a month could do anything again..walking, hiking, skiing, all the things I love ..I credit vitamin C and Lysine as the cure and K2 for getting rid of the calcium and hopefully putting it in back in the bones where it belongs.

joanna
When was your disease diagnosed? I have a 50% blockage in the main artery strain. And I‘ve been doing PT for 1 year. But I had hardly any physical restrictions (except for impaired balance - sometimes).

Joanna45
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#35  Post by Joanna45 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:01 am

Frodo
I was diagnosed May 2016..and because my blood supply to my stomach was 50% narrowed I could not eat without having extreme pain right after eating..they ordered all kind of tests that took a long time to complete..so
I decided to research on my own and found Linus Pauling and then this forum..I started it right away decided not to wait for all the tests to be done..at first I just bought pure vitamin c powder and Lysine at our local health food Co-op.
I could not believe how fast it worked after one week I could eat with out any pain ..and in a couple of weeks was pretty much back to my regular routine.. as I kept researching here on this forum also added Super K2 from LEF. And niacin also magnesium and B complex vitamins. Now I use heart Tech from tower labs because it has all the ingredients in the Jar and so saves money..

Frodo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#36  Post by Frodo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:59 pm

joanna
Thanks! That makes me happy and helps me. They told me 2 years ago I wouldn‘t live much longer. But they don‘t know what is really possible. Next year I‘ll run again long distances.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#37  Post by exitium » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:59 am

Joanna45 wrote:Frodo
I was diagnosed May 2016..and because my blood supply to my stomach was 50% narrowed I could not eat without having extreme pain right after eating..they ordered all kind of tests that took a long time to complete..so
I decided to research on my own and found Linus Pauling and then this forum..I started it right away decided not to wait for all the tests to be done..at first I just bought pure vitamin c powder and Lysine at our local health food Co-op.
I could not believe how fast it worked after one week I could eat with out any pain ..and in a couple of weeks was pretty much back to my regular routine.. as I kept researching here on this forum also added Super K2 from LEF. And niacin also magnesium and B complex vitamins. Now I use heart Tech from tower labs because it has all the ingredients in the Jar and so saves money..

Thats awesome, love hearing stories like this.

Nearly every day I am amazed at what advances are made by the medical community but at the same time shake my head at how they are so ignorant of the basic building blocks of life and optimal health.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#38  Post by tjohnson_nb » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 am

Boron may be a good supplement to add for calcium-magnesium chemistry.
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4712861/
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

Frodo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#39  Post by Frodo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:37 am

I asked Lynne Farrow (www.IodineResearch.com or www.LynneFarrow.net) about vitamin C and Iodine. She answered:

„The idea that you shouldn‘t mix VC with Iodine started on the internet when a non scientist stirred Iodine into VC and water and it turned clear in the beaker. On the badis of this, the rumor circulated not to take VC near Iodine. Then the rumor expanded to not eat bananas or any fruit within two hours of taking Iodine.
Lugol‘s has been used with orange juice since 2004. Iodine, is the principal part of Lugol‘s that treats the breasts. Thousands of women in the Iodine Investigation Project at Breast Cancer Choices were advised to take Iodine and the companion nutrients with C in the morning to address fibrocystic breasts. It worked. The C did not neutralize Iodine.
If C neutralized Iodine in the stomach, this method would not have worked. So the glass beaker experiment on the internet does not prove true in vivo. Dr. Brownstein‘s many breast cancer patients also got the same results.
Also seaweed which was used millennia before Iodine as a breast pain remedy, contains both Iodine and C. Nature and the did not make a plant where two of the most valuable components cancelled each other out. There is so much C in seaweed that it was used as a cure for scurvy.
The Iodine doctors and I all feel that this rumor is wrong. The reason this rumor is a problem for the Iodine Movement is that any obstacle that makes Iodine difficult to take because of timing will lessen compliance. And less people will take Iodine or forget to take Iodine because they are waiting the two hours.“

C-can
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#40  Post by C-can » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Frodo, Thank you for this information on vitamin C and iodine. I have heard many of doctor Brownstein's lectures and have read his book on iodine and I always wondered why he never mentioned that you should not take vitamin C and iodine together after I read on the Internet that this was a bad idea. For weeks I have been spacing my vitamin C away from my Iodine and it's been a real inconvenience.

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#41  Post by gmdodaro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Looking back at this thread, I see that I owe an update on my progress. In July I had another CT scan. My coronary calcium score dropped more than 10% in 6 months.

The vegan diet seems to be the critical factor in my case. As I posted at the top of this discussion, I have been on vitamin C for 30 years. Now I’m also on 800 mg magnesium, 25 mg vitamin K, 200 IU vitamin E, and about 30 mg of iodine per day. Still on the Pauling therapy of l-lysine and l-proline.

Cholesterol total recently tested at 168, LP-PLA2: 83, LP(a): 22, LDL particle number: 774, LDL: 84, HDL: 70, triglycerides: 70, small LDL particle number: < 90

I have not had atrial fibrillation since April. No prostate problems.
Last edited by gmdodaro on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frodo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#42  Post by Frodo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:53 am

gmdodaro

Good results. Was the lp(a) measured in grams or nmol?

And what was your lp(a) value before?

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#43  Post by gmdodaro » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Lp(a) & units - 22 mg/dL
Previously 33-35 I’ve fought this one for years without much improvement.

I’m rereading Esselstyn’s book. Happy new year!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#44  Post by ofonorow » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:04 am

Thank you for the update. 25 milligrams of vitamin K? The ordinary dose would be 150 Micrograms, or 1 thousanths of the dose. There are, the name escapes me, lets say utility curves, where too little of "something" is ineffective, but after some optimal amount, the benefits degrade.

We believe that the key to calcium in the arteries is related to vitamin K. Our suggestion that people try Life Extension's Super-K (about 2 mg with mixed vitamin K1 and K2) stands. My wife's Fast-calcium score was last measured at zero.

I am glad the vegetarian diet is working for you.We at this forum have discussed, that based on heritage, the sympathetic nervous system had evolved to be either fast - support high carbohydrate intakes, or slow - support high meat/protein intakes, or mixed. What works for someone may not work for another. There are several names for this difference (metabolic diets?).

The universe spoke to me recently, and other than almost hypnotic repetition, the author of the Red LIght Therapy book, see: http://vitamincfoundation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14048 -- Ari Whitten -- has written another book entitled FOREVER FAT LOSS. Ari's knowledge, that I know about, coincides with almost everything that I think I know and have learned over the years. This gives me some trust in the material I knew little about - diet and sustained fat loss. (He cites the science showing that all conventional diets fail more than 80% of the time - all the weight is gained back, and then some.)

Ari's experience with diets, especially vegetarians, is interesting. He claims that eventually every special diet causes damage and people suffer. In the case of vegetarians, he blames it on the lack of protein, (but he may not recognize the lack of iodine as you have discovered.)

Ari's "effortless" fat-loss program is interesting. ( Foundation workers who have read th book claim it is Paleo - (although Ari claims he was on a paleo diet for 10 years - to the determent of his own health). Ari does not instruct his clients to count calories (or carbs). Once they correct their "hunger instinct, it begins to work as nature intended - i.e., hunger becomes a signal that more fuel is needed.)

The one recommendation that may be a misprint (hard to fathom), is his ideal of 1 gm of protein daily for 1 lb of Ideal (lean) body weight.

Back to your vege diet, so why not add "protein" as amino acids? Low cost insurance that you are getting enough protein

I recommend adding Ari's book to the reading list. It goes against conventional wisdom, but I sense the method would work for sustained -- and as he claims, "effortless" and healthy - fat loss.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#45  Post by johnyascorbate » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:51 am

ofonorow wrote:Thank you for the update. 25 milligrams of vitamin K? The ordinary dose would be 150 Micrograms, or 1 thousanths of the dose. There are, the name escapes me, lets say utility curves, where too little of "something" is ineffective, but after some optimal amount, the benefits degrade.

We believe that the key to calcium in the arteries is related to vitamin K. Our suggestion that people try Life Extension's Super-K (about 2 mg with mixed vitamin K1 and K2) stands. My wife's Fast-calcium score was last measured at zero.

MK-7 is effective in small amounts. MK-4 is used rapidly by the body and needed in very large amounts. They act differently in the body. In Japan MK-4 is prescribed for osteoporosis at a dose of 45 milligrams/day.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”