DMSO and Diabetic Foot Sores

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

DMSO and Diabetic Foot Sores

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:13 am

May not be out of the woods, but this poster boy came close to having my big right toe amputated. DMSO seems to have saved my toe.

During the incarceration I developed a diabetic foot sore. Afterwords, it completely healed from wearing special shoes that balance the weight of the foot, and from the use of hydrocortisone cream. How quickly it healed seemed to validate the theory that cortisol is key to healing and reversing all kinds of inflammation. In my case, poor circulation and poor adrenal function combined to be a double whammy.

Anyway, I got cocky. (I'm still on the wound-vac for the hernia mesh surgical removal wound, i.e., they were right about "4 to 5 months"...) Another callous developed into a typical diabetic foot sore on the bottom of my right toe.

This time I got the special shoe, with plugs that can be pulled out, so that walking puts no pressure on the sore. So far so good, but the shoe was too tight over the top of the toe, restricting circulation, and black/gangrene set in before I noticed that my toe was in big trouble - on the top. Wound center has a four month waiting list for new patients..

So after some research, started adding topically the following, at different times during the course of the day:

Raw Honey (this has had a significant impact shrinking the original sore on the bottom of the toe)

Vitamin E (I am opening Unique-E capsules and putting the contents)

Liposomal Vitamin C (I happen to have bottles of Panacea)

Epsom Salts (I add sodium ascorbate to the magnesium and soak both feet for 20 minutes. WebMD advised against this because it tends to "dry out the feet/wound." But I am keeping the would/feet moist).

Infrared Lamp
. (I am using an infrared bulb on my legs and feet to help bring blood to the area). 20 minutes, 2 or 3 times daily.

Cortisone 10 cream (my original miracle cure)

As things weren't changing much, and I feared losing the toe, got the idea to try DMSO. (Thanks eDOC!) Been putting about 1/2 dropper of 99% DMSO on the black area, and it is my impression that by the second or third day, DMSO started a turn-around.

The toe still hurts, stinks (attracts flies) and has black areas, but I can see pink areas underneath. I've been off my feet now for almost a week... Don't want to jinx anything, but I think the DMSO saved a gangrened toe.

Hopefully I'll have good news in a week or two.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthopath® (Orthomolecular Naturopath)
® is a trademark of the Institute for Orthomolecular Studies

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: DMSO and Diabetic Foot Sores

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Of course flies love it!!!
One of the Oldest methods of debridement is maggots which are where flies grow up from! These baby flies (maggots) love the free food!
So that’s a good indicator what you have there is dead tissue AKA Necrotic tissue!
Necrotic tissue’s main problem is it impairs wound healing and must be removed for healing to progress.
Now there are many ways to remove it cutting is the most common. Most doc’s won’t mess with a toe and just try localized debridement because of the multiple slicing and dicing involved and simplify it by snipping it off!

However if your doc is willing to try something there is a product called Santyl (LINK) that does a pretty good job on these smaller area’s.

Here’s a link on the ups and downs of it. See what your DOC thinks since it needs a script to get it!!

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-co ... cle_em.htm

Here’s another one that gives more specifics!
https://www.drugs.com/drp/collagenase-s ... tment.html
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: DMSO and Diabetic Foot Sores

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks johnwen.

Progress report - I had some santyl from a previous episode and have been adding it.

All black is gone, and along with it the awful smell.

Someone advised ozone, so I started spending time with my feet in water that has been oxygenated by a Sota ozone machine.

The original sore on the bottom is almost closed.

The formerly necrotic sore on top looks like a typical diabetic sore now, with a lot of pink.

And while I am at it, the surgery wound (which was left open and not sutured) is about 1/3 the original size, but I still have the annoying wound-vac.

To complete the current picture..

Hydrocortisone after the surgery dropped to nil - but to avoid a crisis, I took the prescribed 30 mg (15, 10 and 5).. Blood sugars look like my own insulin has returned (using the Abbott Libre). After the top necrotic sore formed, my requirement for hydrocortisone almost doubled... Seems to be declining as it heals. (The "tell" is lung congestion... First thing that happens when my own HC is low is that I start coughing.. 15-30 minutes after the HC, all is well.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthopath® (Orthomolecular Naturopath)
® is a trademark of the Institute for Orthomolecular Studies

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”