Vitamin C contraindicated with shellfish?

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

C-can
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vitamin C contraindicated with shellfish?

Post by C-can » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:29 pm

First I've heard of this claim

. Eating shellfish and popping huge doses of vitamin C could prove lethal, say University of Illinois researchers who have made a surprising discovery about the nature of arsenic poisoning. The researchers in the university`s animal sciences department in Champaign found that forms of arsenic usually considered harmless can become strongly poisonous through an interaction with vitamin C. The unexpected finding by Gail Czarnecki, David Baker and John Garst concerns the way molecules of arsenic compounds are constructed.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/1985/08/ ... -dont-mix/

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Vitamin C contraindicated with shellfish?

Post by ofonorow » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:04 am

Highly doubtful this applies to living beings. Is lobster considered shellfish? I for one had followed in the foot steps of Linus Pauling and had taken 18 g of vitamin C, 9000 mg twice daily for about 30 years. (Since studying the Medical Medium, and began taking my vitamin C with glucose, I have experimented with reducing my vitamin C intake to probably half that.)

Not that I am a big eater of shell fish, but certainly people who are, and consume vitamin C would have been dropping dead for an eternity.

Not to mentioned mammals who eat shellfish and have about 10 times the amount of vitamin C in their bodies than we unlucky humans.

This is pretty obviously a bogus "scare story" to try to keep Joe Public away from vitamin C. If anyone can find the paper/study, we'll take a look.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

C-can
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Vitamin C contraindicated with shellfish?

Post by C-can » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:02 pm

I think you're probably right. Plus the fact that I've eaten shrimp for two meals a day for the last 3 days and not backed off my 12 to 15 gram daily vitamin C dose and I'm fine. :)

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”