DiverDown2 wrote:45000 mcg (45 mg)
Is this too much?
There have been published accounts of super high intakes of vitamin K, with no toxic effect. A 39 year old male deliberately ingested a superwarfarin product. To counteract the dose, he was given 200 milligrams a day of vitamin K1 for five months without any adverse effects (Sheen et al, 1994).
In 2003, a young man was brought to the emergency room after eating four boxes of brodifacoum, a lethal vitamin K antagonist, over four days, plus pieces of glass. He was treated for both the glass and the poisoning, for which they gave him 300 milligrams of vitamin K1 a day. 28 days after discharge he returned, as he had not maintained the vitamin K1 intake. During the second treatment, his vitamin K1 dosage was increased to 800 milligrams a day. At a five month follow-up he was doing well.
Recently, an article was published discussing the differential diagnosis of rat poisoning and treatment in two separate cases. In one case the patient had taken a long-acting rat poison. He was given 75 milligrams of vitamin K1, twice a day for over four months so as to stabilize his coagulation system and restore it to relative normality. In the second case, a woman was treated with 100 milligrams of vitamin K daily for 2 days, which restored her coagulation function. In a general discussion of treatment options, it was recommended to administer vitamin K at doses of 50 milligrams a day or higher intravenously, and then shifting to oral doses of 100 milligrams a day, for three to six months, and sometimes for more than a year (Schulman & Furie, 2014). The highest reported dose has been 400 milligrams daily (Spahr et al, 2007).
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests