Can Vitamin C Cause a Blood Clot?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Can Vitamin C Cause a Blood Clot?

Post by ofonorow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Sally,

I have had 3 small strokes and they have found a blood clot in my left chamber of my heart. The opinion is to wait it out as far as the clot moving my blood thinner up.

I did stop the powder for a little over a week and now want to go back on.

Just to ask any results showing the potential for developing a clot out of the high amounts of C or sticking Lp(a) together?

Thanks

Gary

The timing is unclear. When was the stroke? When did he start/stop Heart Technology?

What is the Lp(a)?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Can Vitamin C Cause a Blood Clot?

Post by Johnwen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:15 am

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

randian

Post by randian » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 pm

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 am

2500 mg on one day should be fine according to my understanding of the so-called 'rebound effect'. But if it isn't enough, you should experience symptoms of a cold coming on, such as a tickle in the throat etc.

When more C is taken on a continued basis, various enzyme systems are activated that use up the "excess" ascorbate, this according to Linus Pauling in HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER. If the supply stops or drops suddenly, these enzymes are still using up vitamin C (take 24-36 hours to be turned off when ascorbate is low) leading to a very low blood level. Again, if you aren't feeling anything, you aren't having the problem.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:00 am

More about this man's case from Tower Labs... Should clarify timing... Clots happened after starting Vitamin C and lysine - large dose.

First order was January 17, 2013. Consistent ordering every month since then.

Averaging 11g C and lysine daily (4 scoops HT and 2 scoops CA daily). Faithfully following protocol. Had multiple events within a year when he first called to order and docs told him if they didn't do something to stop his Lp(a) issue he would die.

Also has a long history of Lyme disease.

Is on coumadin, plavix and aspirin.

Clot is attached to the side of the heart and has had three small strokes recently. INR has been at a therapeutic level. Doctors are wanting him to move his coumadin up and this should take care of any further difficulties with the system releasing the clot.

Further history:

Left arm stopped aching after being on the Pauling protocol. Carotid arteries are now fine. No plaque appears to be building in the arteries. 5 - 6 mo ago he had a ct scan with contrast and there were no strokes in the brain. Then new recent MRI of the brain has indicated three strokes.

Lp(a) has come down from 88 to 71 to date on the Pauling therapy..

Also, is there anything he can take (assuming that the Lp(a) is sticking together and making the clot) that would disperse it into his blood to facilitate metabolism by the liver of the Lp(a)?

He is going to write to you shortly.

All arteries look okay except for the left chamber where they have found a clot that he describes as tethered and flopping around. They have determined that the clot flopping around is causing the strokes, though he's doing okay after the three strokes.

Has been through nine heart operations (35 cardioversions for rhythm problems because of Lyme disease, and also ablations to restructure the electrical system).

First heart operation was a MAZE procedure to stop afib. Stopped it but he had a monster blood clot go into his lungs and was on life support for 32 days. After the sixth ablation he was fine for 2-3 years. Then had pain in his left arm, followed by stent placement in March, again in August and yet a third stent in January 2013. Between August 2012 and January 2012 is when they found out his Lp(a) was elevated. he feels that he has made very good progress on the Pauling therapy with the Lp(a) because his symptoms have not returned and he has not had anymore stent placements.

His doctors don't understand how he could have a clot on all the blood thinners and his cardiac records have been sent to Johns Hopkins. He lives in Naples.

He would like to know if the Lp(a) being released from the arteries could be sticking to itself and causing the clot?

Upon first reading, this is quite a history and he sounds lucky to still be with us. Assuming all his previous problems were a combination of a lack of vitamin C supplementation combined with all his medications, and he did have clots previous to taking vitamin C, my first thought is to slowly find his bowel tolerance for vitamin C (might be 20 to 30 g daily) and perhaps back off the lysine to 5000 to 6000 mg daily. So increase vitamin C and reduce lysine. I hope johnwen responds with his expertise.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:24 pm

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post by davids1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Is a reduction in C the same? I'm taking 8.5-10g/day of oral ascorbic acid right now, but because I have a relatively low tolerance in a single dose I have to take it
8x/day to get that daily dose. Sometimes on weekends I only have time for a couple of doses, or about 2.5g that day. Does that present the same danger?

Hi Randian,

For what it might be worth to you, I will relate my personal experience with your above question. In the past 19 years of taking 30g to 70g [on average] of ascorbic acid daily, I have on a few rare occasions taken none for a day, and I can even remember once when I took none for 2 [or maybe it was even 3 days]. Although I do not recommend that, I can only say that I felt/noticed absolutely no change in my health. The only thing I noticed was a decrease in bowel activity.

Just my experience,

David
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”