Pauling therapy and hollywood

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

blade

Pauling therapy and hollywood

Post Number:#1  Post by blade » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Im feeling old as I read actors like
bernie mac
James Avery ... saying the guy who played Uncle Phil
elvis?
mel banc

I find it really hard to imagine that these people, who died of CAD issues, could be still alive if they had just taken a few(10+grams) of vitamin C?

This is NOT what I was taught in school and Ive spent years learning about the human body.

I'm wanting to ask my old teachers their thoughts about Pauling Therapy.
Specifically teachers who taught Human physiology and human biochemistry

Here's basically what I'm going to write, I'd like comments to make sure I am not short changing Pauling Therapy

I'm asking this because I have pieced this together, I cannot find a page/site that just explains wtf causes heart disease?
"
Hi
I have a question about Heart disease. I've been reading about high dose vitamin C therapy, known as Pauling Therapy, to prevent heart disease.
Pauling therapy says the cause of Heart disease is from a lack of vitamin C in the diet. Vitamin C is needed to produce collagen.. Collagen is needed to repair/maintain blood vessels.

When a person has low/no Vitamin C. the body can't make collagen and can't repair blood vessels. The body must repair blood vessels, so it uses Lipoprotein(a) (also called Lp(a) or LPA) is a lipoprotein subclass.
Lpa is used to repair the blood vessels... the problem with LPA is it can bind more lpa and it will cause plaques to form in the blood vessal and slowly occuld the vessel .
Lpa is a poor substitute for collagen, but the body must repair the blood vessals.

Pauling therapy is a solution to prevent heart disease by making sure a person takes in grams 6+grams of vitamin C /day so a person always has enough VitC to make collagen. and the body never needs to use LPA.
The other part of Pauling therapy is to take a few grams of Lysine/proline. These amino acids can bind to LPA in arteries and both prevent more LPA from binding to form plaques, but also will help to destabilize the plaques molecule by molecule
and clear it out

do you have any thoughts about this?

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Pauling therapy and hollywood

Post Number:#2  Post by tjohnson_nb » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:47 am

Probably shouldn't use the word 'destabilize' since unstable plaque is very dangerous. Maybe 'reabsorb' or 'dissolve'.
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

blade

Post Number:#3  Post by blade » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:47 pm

tjohnson_nb wrote:Probably shouldn't use the word 'destabilize' since unstable plaque is very dangerous. Maybe 'reabsorb' or 'dissolve'.

good point
I'll change it

so the science of how Pauling therapy(AA+lysine is correct?)
I'm not sure how VK plays a role in getting rid of plaques. thoughts?

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by tjohnson_nb » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:31 am

No science is ever 100% 'correct' or 'complete' but our picture or 'map' grows ever more precise. :) That's epistemology 101. AFAIK, VK becomes important when plagues become calcified as a result of having too much calcium in the blood. The VK helps get it out of the blood and back into the bones I think.

blade

Post Number:#5  Post by blade » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:53 pm

tjohnson_nb wrote:No science is ever 100% 'correct' or 'complete'.

LOL yeah, I dont agree with that, There is a lot of science that is understood completely :D

tjohnson_nb wrote: our picture or 'map' grows ever more precise. That's epistemology 101. AFAIK,

epistemology =theory of knowledge

tjohnson_nb wrote:VK becomes important when plagues become calcified as a result of having too much calcium in the blood. The VK helps get it out of the blood and back into the bones I think.

so VK helps grab calcium molecules, within calcifed plaques, and molecule by molecule, carry it to where it should be, with is not in the artery.
ok, I'm leaving that out, as it's not the important part, which is getting enough AA so the body has it to use and doesn need LpA to repair arteries.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by tjohnson_nb » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 am

blade wrote:LOL yeah, I dont agree with that, There is a lot of science that is understood completely :D

Yes, it's understood completely until new information becomes available that the theory does not explain :)

blade

Post Number:#7  Post by blade » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:29 am

tjohnson_nb wrote:
blade wrote:LOL yeah, I dont agree with that, There is a lot of science that is understood completely

Yes, it's understood completely until new information becomes available that the theory does not explain :)

sometimes, but there is science that is completely solved and no new information coming
:)

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by tjohnson_nb » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:31 pm

blade wrote:sometimes, but there is science that is completely solved and no new information coming
:)

For example?

blade

Post Number:#9  Post by blade » Mon May 25, 2015 5:25 am

it seems that john ritter (aortic disscetion) and others would be alive if they had taken a few grams of AA daily
A study conducted over a decade ago showed that adults who have abdominal aortic aneurysms (the aorta is the first blood vessel outside the heart) often have low levels of vitamin C within the blood vessel tissue itself. [Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1987 Feb;184:138-43]
http://www.laleva.org/eng/2004/03/vitam ... sting.html

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”