No progress yet on coronary calcium

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No progress yet on coronary calcium

Post Number:#1  Post by gmdodaro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51 pm

I've been on large doses of vitamin c, lysine, and proline for about a year. Since 2011 I've known that calcium plaque is increasing in my arteries. The first EBT coronary calcium score in 2011 was 255. In 2104, about a year ago, it was 555. The cardiologist was unequivocal after this result that I have heart disease. In 2015, last month, the EBT score was 665. It has continued to worsen at the same rate despite my efforts. A number of things have complicated the situation, including hepatitis C and atrial fibrillation. I can report progress against the atrial fibrillation and hepatitis C. During the worst of my bout with hepatitis C, the a-fib was recurring every couple of days, going on for 6 - 12 hours. Since I started supplementing with large doses of magnesium glycinate, the a-fib has steadily decreased. I haven't had an episode for several months and only three in 2015. I'm happy that the a-fib has stopped and that my hepatitis C viral load has been undetectable since January. I think the vitamin C helped me beat hepatitis without any of the expensive drugs. Burt Berkson gets most of the credit: http://www.healthyhepper.com/berksonclinicalstudy.htm

But, there has been no significant progress against the coronary calcium. My current theory is that a root canal tooth has been the problem. See Thomas Levy on the connection between heart disease and periodontal problems: http://www.peakenergy.com/ I had the root canal tooth extracted three weeks ago, right after the EBT test with disappointing results. I feel better and will have some new blood work done pretty soon. My Lp(a) has been 20-23 for a year. If it goes down, I'll take it as progress. I'm also watching the LP-PLA2 plaque number.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: No progress yet on coronary calcium

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:55 am

gmdodaro wrote:I've been on large doses of vitamin c, lysine, and proline for about a year. Since 2011 I've known that calcium plaque is increasing in my arteries. The first EBT coronary calcium score in 2011 was 255. In 2104, about a year ago, it was 555. The cardiologist was unequivocal after this result that I have heart disease. In 2015, last month, the EBT score was 665. It has continued to worsen at the same rate despite my efforts.

So for 3 years without Vitamin C CAC score went from 255 to 555 - a 39 % per annum increase. 30% is the usual.
The last year with C, lysine and proline it went from 555 to 665 - or 20 % annual increase. Woa, that's almost half the former annual progression rate!

CONGRATULATIONS!

For precise CAC score it's important not to change the scanning machine or, if possible, the reading technician. And also consider that in a successful CAC score regression regimen the first thing which happens is that vulnerable soft plaque is changed in more calcified and stable plaque (usually it's a varying mixture of both). That means for the first years on such a regimen will increase CAC anyway, reflecting the change in consistency but not volume of the total plaque.

Cardiologist, who use CAC score as main mean to ascertain the regression of their regimen, have made the observation that even with a annual progression of 10-15 % adverse events shrink to virtually nil.

What else, supplements, lifestyle changes or drugs, have you used since last year?

And thanks for sharing your success.

The cardiologist was unequivocal after this result that I have heart disease.

Well, anything of a CAC score above 0 will grow in average by 30% each year - so with such a usual exponential growth he already could have predicted that 4 years ago. However, certain CAC scores are within normal for certain age groups.
See this online calculator: http://www.mesa-nhlbi.org/calcium/input.aspx or this one, combined with Farmingham 10 year risk: http://www.mesa-nhlbi.org/Calcium/ArterialAge.aspx
Last edited by pamojja on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by jimmylesante » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:10 am

Nice post. However when it comes to calcium i understand the go to triage is
1)Magnesium
2)Vitamin K2
3)Vitamin D

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:24 am

pamojja wrote:Cardiologist, who use CAC score as main mean to ascertain the regression of their regimen, have made the observation that even with a annual progression of 10-15 % adverse events shrink to virtually nil.

jimmylesante wrote:Nice post. However when it comes to calcium i understand the go to triage is
1)Magnesium
2)Vitamin K2
3)Vitamin D

Funny, the Cardiologist known most for CAC scoring, Dr. William Davis of former 'Track your Plaque' website (now 'Wheat Belly blog' or 'cureality'), when asked what he himself would nowaday take, answered with those, beside Fish-oil, a pro-biotic, a kelp cap for iodine and desiccated thyroid (if my memory serves me well).

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by gmdodaro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks for the insights, Pamojja and Jimmy. I had thought about the LBT calcium score as increasing at about 100 points per year, but as you have noted, 110 points starting at 555 and ending at 665, is proportionally less of an increase than the previous 3 years from 255 to 555. So, maybe this is progress, or, as the legislators say about the government spending, a decrease in the rate of increase is a "reduction in spending." :wink:

Jimmy, I didn't include other supplements that I'm taking, especially vitamin K, per the information here: http://www.k-vitamins.com/
I've been taking about 50 mg per day for 7 months. Also 5000 IU vitamin D and a lot of Magnesium, which I think has stopped my atrial fibrillation.

Another thing that I didn't mention: I read Pauling 35 years ago and started taking 10 grams, or more, of vitamin C per day then. I found that it reduced episodes of colds and flu to almost nil, whereas previously I had suffered with 2-3 colds per year that each lasted 2-3 weeks. By anybody's gauge, I've been a heavy ascorbic-acid user for almost half of my life. "Theoretically" I should not have heart disease. But, there is a strong familial tendency for it. Both my parents had it. I tried over the years to get them to take larger amounts of vitamin C, but only succeeded when their heart disease was too advanced to successfully treat.

I also take fish oil twice per day. 400-500 mg of niacin spread over the day. It would take while to list all the supplements I take. Since I started sports and weight training in high school 50 years ago, I've been rigorous about exercise and fitness. I've speculated that the reason I have coronary calcium but not carotid arterial calcification is that I regularly stress the cardiac arteries running hills and lifting weights. The first indication that I have heart disease was the misdiagnosis by two physicians who read my ECG and concluded my bradycardia--slow heart rate--indicated that I had already had a heart attack.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by ofonorow » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:48 am

Anecdotally, for the specific issue of calcium scores as detected by today's Fast CT scans, there is no claim that the Pauling vitamin C and lysine therapy alone will lower your score.

As we have shared over the years, the remedy for the build-up of calcium is vitamin K (many think K2, but my wife and I use Super-K which is a combination of the different vitamin K, and we have no calcium issues).

From the experience of the late CEO of Tower Laboratories - the Pauling therapy kept is arteries open and blood flowing, but he had high blood pressure, high arterial stiffness and a very high calcium score. An angiogram showed no blockage and good blood flow. We had read this article about vitamin K http://www.lef.org/Magazine/2000/2/report/Page-01
and he began taking a small vitamin K supplement. A year later, vitamin K the only change to his regimen, his arterial stiffness reduced to mine (to 50 from 250) and we began promoting vitamin K for calcium reductions.

We know that many drugs, by blocking vitamin K, lead to rapid calcification of soft tissue, and that may or may not be an issue in your case. (Ironically, medical doctors are taught that heart patients should avoid vitamin K, probably due to these interactions. If INR and clotting is an issue - then focus on the vitamin K2 form which has no affect on clotting.)

Another benefit from adding vitamin K to your supplement regimen is that doing so lowers your overall risk of mortality.
http://www.lef.org/magazine/2014/9/The-Surprising-Longevity-Benefits-of-Vitamin-K/Page-01

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”