My History and Regimen. Advice?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My History and Regimen. Advice?

Post Number:#1  Post by 89826 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:07 am

Big heart attack in March of 2008; almost shuffled off this mortal coil. One bare-metal stent installed in RCA then. Two more bare-metal stents installed a few months later. Left circumflex completely occluded, but with nice collateral circulation. Completely asymptomatic since and now.

Currently taking 20 grams of vitamin C, spread evenly throughout the day: a gram or two every waking hour. That is very close to bowel tolerance. Also, in the morning: 5 grams of lysine, 300 mcg of vitamin K2, 2,000 IU of vitamin E, 6,000 IU of vitamin D3, and two standard multi-vitamin tablets.

I started the above regimen about 2.5 years ago. Additionally, I eat a plant-based diet with the exception of some fish twice a week or so. No oil (to protect the endothelium). And I do something called intermittent fasting: 24 hours of no calories, and a 24-hour window to eat. Benefits are manifold: better brain chemistry (neurogenesis, BDNF production), better blood chemistry (lipid profile, insulin sensitivity, inflammation), body weight management, increased lifespan (at least in laboratory animals), and higher HGH production.

Advice? I am not taking proline, probably should be. If so, how much?

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: My History and Regimen. Advice?

Post Number:#2  Post by exitium » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:35 am

89826 wrote:Additionally, I eat a plant-based diet with the exception of some fish twice a week or so.

Id consider serious B supplementation. Plant based diets are severely lacking in many B vits.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:53 am

I like your regimen and are happy that you are asymptomatic. 20,000 mg of vitamin C daily elevates you to near the top of the heart disease vitamin C curve. And 2.5 years is a good time frame. I would resist the urge to feel cured, especially with 3 stents.

Questions, do you know your Lp(a) or total cholesterol? Would be helpful regarding the idea to supplement proline.

Do you have any root canals (or mercury amalgams?) Wondering why the 20,000 mg bowel tolerance.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by 89826 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:47 pm

Owen,
Many thanks for responding! Total cholesterol, at last measurement some years ago, is around 190. No reading for LPa, unfortunately.

Had cavities filled as a kid in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Whatever was used as standard practice then (mercury amalgam fillings?) is what I still have.

Are you suggesting that my tolerance of 20 grams of vitamin C is on the high side and indicative of a condition (other than atherosclerotic heart disease) being ameliorated? What is a typical tolerance?

Also, should mention I take a 25 mg tablet of metoprolol tartrate (beta blocker) twice a day.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:46 pm

I think the Cathcart paper provides the bell curve, http://vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/Vitamin_C_Dosage_in_Disease.pdf Table I

4 to 15 grams is the normal range in 4 to 6 divided dosages.

I myself have been 15 to 20 grams, more like LInus Pauling himself.

We have had one poster who claimed to be well and consumed 35,000 mg daily and another (David) who said he regularly consumed about 100,000 mg daily (100 grams) and he does have known dental toxicity.

190 mg/dl is almost ideal! (180 mg/dl is ideal)

Sounds like you are close to Pauling and myself regarding your ascorbate (vitamin C) requirement.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by 89826 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:36 am

Owen, thanks for the link. Cathcart writes "Admittedly, increasing the frequency of doses increases tolerance perhaps to half again as much[...]"

I think that's the key in my case. I spread doses evenly throughout the waking hours-- something like 10 doses. So my regular tolerance might be closer to 13 grams, relatively normal.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by 89826 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:05 pm

Owen, do you have any thoughts about my taking proline?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:11 am

Stents, but no bypass?
If so then I think the theoretical benefits of adding proline far outweigh the theoretical issues (ie. after a bypass with leg veins).
Pauling himself only recommended adding lysine to vitamin C. (The proline recommendation comes from Matthias Rath, and the work at the Univ. of Chicago finding the "proline binding sites" on the Lp(a) molecule occurred after Pauling's death.)
From our experience, proline appears to be key to lowering circulating Lp(a) (note that adequate vitamin C may keep it low in the first place.)
For any person with stents, interesting in them not re occluding, then proline could be an important adjunct, keeping Lp(a) in check, which should help with restenosis.
Of course nobody is or has studied this.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by 89826 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks! Dosage?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by ofonorow » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:17 am

If you find a study let me know :cry:

The Tower heart technology product contains 200-250 mg per serving. In my experience, most heart patients adopted two servings daily or 400-500 mg proline with often spectacular success in a short amount of time.

I know some alternative doctors have prescribed up to 2000 mg of proline.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”