Daughter, Type 1 Diabetic, not responding as quickly as others on PT

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Daughter, Type 1 Diabetic, not responding as quickly as others on PT

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 am

Dear Owen,

My adult daughter (S.) and I have read many of your articles and books, and as a result began the Pauling Therapy after she received a diagnosis of Congestive Heart Failure about 9 months ago and refused surgery (as treating symptoms instead of the cause), at least for the time being. She took the Cardio-C formula instead, adding Wallach's minerals, the Mediterranean diet & various other items as our research uncovered them.

Is she on Pauling's full protocol? Including vitamin E?

And not knowing her age, I assume from her reading here she has learned that Congestive Heart Failure is considered a CoQ10 deficiency disease in Europe. Technically, the Pauling Therapy is designed to prevent and reverse cardiovascular disease, the atherosclerotic plaques that narrow and can block blood flow in the arteries. (And we suggested adding vitamin K if there is calcium in the plaques). Congestive Heart Failure is a different animal, and while the Pauling Therapy can still be central, she needs to make sure she is supplementing CoQ10 - and not taking the myriad of drugs that deplete CoQ10 in the body, the statin cholesterol-lowering drugs in particular have been known from the beginning that they block our own production of CoQ10 (a substance required by every cell for its energy. Is she taking any medications?

Finally, it is not how much CoQ10 you eat - but how much is absorbed, and there must be bile in the digestive tract, i.e., she must be eating fats, for the CoQ10 to be absorbed.

This seemed to stop the progression of her disease, or at least slow it down, in that both numbers from her blood pressure reading at her December appointment with her Cardiologist showed improvements (virtually normal), and, in fact, other numbers were improved as well. She still, however, must take Lasic periodically and her ejection fraction was a point lower.

Seems like good news.

Since she (S.) continues reading all the time, she is aware of the fact that the letters to your various publications show much more rapid improvement than she has experienced she is frustrated by this slower pace and has come to the conclusion that it is because she has been a Type One Diabetic for nearly 55 years so the vitamin C hasn't much chance in beating the sugar to the cell's portal. We wonder if the probable outcome of this race could be altered by giving her vitamin C injections paired with insulin to give C a better chance to win the race.

Again, what you are saying she is dealing with (CHF) is different than the CVD that most people are fighting, and that is caused by a lack of vitamin C (according to the Pauling/Rath unified theory). I would think CoQ10 and other "energy promoting" nutrients for the CHF, on top of vitamin C.

As far as being Type I - sugar would only be a problem if it is high. She must know what she is doing being alive for more than 55 years, but I found the Richard Bernstein book DIABETES SOLUTION illuminating. He is an expert on blood sugar control, and it is encouraging what happens to people when they control their sugar (all the known diabetes symptoms go away.) Caveat: Bernstein is a classically trained medical doctor, and almost everything he writes about vitamin C is wrong.

As far as insulin being required for vitamin C entry into the cell, I have backed off of this concern as I have learned more here at this forum. The increased number of insulin-mediated GLUT receptors are apparently a human adaption and used to harvest the partially oxidized form of vitamin C - DHAA. From what I think we now know, the reduced vitamin C is absorbed into cells with SVCT (Sodium Vitamin C Transporters) that are not connected with insulin.

Both she and I have given thousands of shots and would like to try this if we can get some information on which kind of C and insulin to use, how to mix and administer it and where it may be purchased. A conversation with Robert at brought forth the information that we should talk to you and he gave me your e-mail address, saying you prefer this form of communication.

We would more than appreciate it if you would advise us concerning these issues, and earnestly look forward to your reply.

Both of us send our thanks and gratitude.

S. and Lois R.

In summary, I would question any drugs she is taking that might harm endogenous CoQ10 production, and have her start supplementing between 600 and 1200 mg of CoQ10 daily. (She can taper that down after the CHF diagnosis has cleared, but probably at least 200 mg daily as maintenance. ) And if she is a vegetarian, this problem would be magnified.

Secondly, if she doesn't have her blood sugar stabilized at 83 mg/dl - per Bernstein - this should be her goal as blood sugar control is probably the second most important thing she can do to improve her condition.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”