Anxiety lowering lysine and does it raise cholesterol?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Anxiety lowering lysine and does it raise cholesterol?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:29 am

Hello Owen- my name is Tami, from Kansas City, and I had a few questions about the Supplement L-Lysine. First off, is it true that it can "raise" overall Cholesterol Levels, along with LDL? I have read it can, but not sure how true this is. Next, can it cause Gallstones? And lastly, can it help people with Anxiety?

I have taken 1,000 mg of L-Lysine for roughly 22-years, every single day. My Overall Cholesterol is a bit high, it is 207 and my LDL is a bit high, it is 107. I'm worried the Lysine has raised my numbers. Also, I had an Abdominal Sonogram last week and the doctor said I have roughly 20 small gallstones. Luckily, I have not had any pain in my Gallbladder (yet). And regarding the Anxiety, several months ago I cut down my dosage of Lysine from the 1,000 mg a day to 500 mg a day and within about 2-weeks or so I started getting horrible anxiety and depression. I went back up to 1,000 mg a day and the anxiety got much better!

I'm hoping you have some answers for me. Doctors around here can't seem to answer any of my questions regarding Lysine usage.

Thank you so very much for your time.

When Linus Pauling first recommended high dose lysine, around 1992, he did a literature search and found one Loma Linda University study that indicated lysine might raise cholesterol in lab rats. So he reported that side effect as a possibility. However, my biggest problem personally after starting lysine has been keeping my own cholesterol from dropping to unsafe limits. When I added lysine to my high vitamin C intake, my total cholesterol dropped from 180 mg/dl to 160 mg/dl. Over the years, it continued to drop, with most measurement around 130 mg/dl and quite recently about 110 mg/dl from professional lab tests. I don't believe that lysine raises cholesterol.

And 1000 mg is just around the amount of lysine you need daily for protein balance. That is not a high dosage. How much vitamin C do you take daily?

Finally, the only cholesterol that is dangerous, in my opinion, is Lp(a).

I cannot answer whether lysine causes gall stones. (but will post this) Any literature references might help.

Your report of anxiety after lowering lysine is new to me. However, depending on the rest of your diet (say if you are vegan and not getting enough proteins/aminos) your body may be telling you it needs more!

If I had anxiety, the first thing I would do is make sure that a) I was taking a good B12 and that b) I was able to absorb this nutrient. There are lots of secondary nutrients, to go along with this, but lack of B12 will cause depression. This can relieved almost instantly. Pills might work, look for methylated, more expensive but avoids another potential issue. If there is any doubt, you can now get the b12patch.com skin patch, now with methyllated B12, and if it provides relief, you should know right away.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Anxiety lowering lysine and does it raise cholesterol?

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:09 pm

A lot of people that read this post may wonder why their finding this about gallstones and why the medical industry and drug manufactures is making such claims that L-lysine can mess up your whole body system.

When this amino acid is essential to sustain life and if you don’t get enough thru diet or supplementing, things do start to come apart and problems arise.

I questioned this some time ago and the answer is quite simple. Here’s a quote I found that sums it up in a nut shell!

Gallstones are hard solid substances which develop in the gall bladder. They are quite painful. Taking cholesterol-lowering supplements can cause build up of cholesterol in the bile, as the body tries to flush out the cholesterol. This can lead to gallstones. Since l-lysine has cholesterol-lowering effects, high doses of this supplement can cause gallstones.

Did anyone pick up on it???

Yep! In a word, “Competition!”

With what? Yep!!! Good Ole $tatin$!!!!

The biggest problem with supplementing L-Lysine in pill form is, “FILLERS!!”
When a 500mg dose is mixed with a bunch of other chemicals and this 500mg pill weights 1300mg. Or 160% as much fillers as what your taking for it’s benefit’s, the risks will out weight the benefits every time!

I’ll say it again if your going to supplement L-Lysine get the powder form that’s 100% L-Lysine without fillers. Then you’ll get the benefits without the risks!!!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by exitium » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:42 pm

I can tell you this I was having weekly galstone issues that would generally pass withing about 12 hours, Quite painful. This lasted about a year and the docs made no mention of galstones. I started supplementing 6-9g ascorbic acid a day and the galstones stopped. As I often do about a year after starting VC, I stopped taking it to better judge exactly where it was helping me. The first thing that happened was all the joint pain from lifting heavy in the gym caught up to me and a few weeks later I had another galstone attack. This one didnt subside, started thursday afternoon and mondey monring I was in surgery having my gallbladder removed.

The pain started as the same pain I was having a year earlier but never subsided so I am rather confident the prior bouts of pain were galstones.

Sacally4
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#4  Post by Sacally4 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:55 am

Are you on acid blocker like omeprazol?

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”