Vitamin C level in blood

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vitamin C level in blood

Post Number:#1  Post by hvc » Mon May 16, 2016 1:23 pm

I just received my blood results. I have been taking vitamin c for over 4.5 months. My vitamin c measured 12.8 mg/L. Back in January it was 31.5. Is there an amount that I am optimally looking to achieve? I currently take 20 grams a day with 6gms of lysine and 1 gram of proline. I have no bowel tolerance issues.
Last edited by hvc on Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Vitamin C level in blood

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Interesting that 4.5 months ago before supplementing you got 31.5 mg/l. Now supplementing 20 g/d 12.8 mg/l.

But honestly, don't think Vitamin C serum test are that reliable. It might indicate that because of a temporary infection it's just utilizing more, as needed.

Did you ever test your bowel tolerance limit? Slightly lower than that would be the amount you're optimally looking to archive,

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vitamin C level in blood

Post Number:#3  Post by hvc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Just received results from blood test last week. Unbelievably vit c level in blood was at 2.3. I was taking 20 grams per day at the time of this test. i actually had taken a scoop of cardio-c around 1.5 hours prior to test. I am currently up to 32 grams per day with no bowel tolerance issues. Any ideas as to why level is so low?
As a side note, my shbg was at 66. Is this dangerous? could this be related to the low vit c level?

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by exitium » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:44 am

hvc wrote:my shbg was at 66.

66 what? mg/l? nmol/L?

"normal" range can vary a little lab to lab but 20-60 nmol/L is generally considered normal. A lot of things can alter your SHBG from diet to prescription drugs. Whats changed since the last time you had shbg tested?

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by hvc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:34 am

Thank you for your reply. The measurement is in nmol/L. I believe this is the first time I've had this test. It gives the normal range as 10-57.

RatherBeUnknown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by RatherBeUnknown » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:42 pm

High shbg is obviously not dangerous but it may be uncomfortable for a man since it can lead to sexual dysfunction and other things. But shbg says little without knowing the "free testosterone" and "total testosterone" levels, since both are important. Total testosterone, even if bound by shbg, has a physiological role.
Boron works for lowering shbg/increasing free test., I take it daily 9mg and it gives me morning erections (symptom of high free testosterone).

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:54 am

This report is usually low blood levels of vitamin C taking unusually high oral intake without bowel tolerance issues? Is that correct?

Does sound like you have the Riordan "spider bite" phenomenon going on, i.e. rapid use of whatever ascorbate gets into the blood stream.

In Riordan's case, he gave himself an IV (10 g) yet recorded zero vitamin C in the blood after the infusion.

OxC has some alternative explanation, that slips my mind..

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by hvc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:07 am

I am taking a high does of oral vitamin c. I had a feeling, though, that the lab report was in error. Indeed I repeated the test a week of so later and the level was over 28.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”