Ascorbic acid taken with yogurt?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

sl33py
Contributor
Contributor

Ascorbic acid taken with yogurt?

Post Number:#1  Post by sl33py » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. have read all I could find, but wanted to check a particular question here:

I've got my father taking ascorbic acid. He's been told one of his arteries is 50% blocked :(

I told him to take the AA with water, maybe a little baking soda if necessary, and work up to 12 grams.

He's decided to take it with a spoonful of shop-bought yogurt. Yogurt has a ton of sugar in it (even if it's a naturally made type without added sugar). I believe this might have an oxidizing effect and nullify the effectiveness of the AA.

Could someone please confirm/refute the negative effect of the yogurt? And link to supporting evidence? I want to get him up to about 20-25 grams a day and if the yogurt is actually fine then it will help the cause, but I doubt it'll be a good thing overall (simply from all the sugar).
Thanks in advance!

BrightSideOfLife
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Ascorbic acid taken with yogurt?

Post Number:#2  Post by BrightSideOfLife » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:56 am

Why not make your own yoghurt? Buy a yoghurt maker and you can use any source of bacteria to produce yoghurt. I recommend using powdered milk at a much higher than regular milk ratio because it aids the setting of the yoghurt.

Most of the lactose will be used by the bacteria. Sugar will cause problems and limit vitamin c absorption because insulin is needed to lower blood glucose and also needed for take up of vitamin c .

sl33py
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#3  Post by sl33py » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks BrightSide. That lines up with my suspicion about the sugar interfering with the C.

Anyone else care to weigh in with more info?

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by tjohnson_nb » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 am

Actually, it's the oxidized form of AA, DHAA, that competes with glucose through the GLUTs. The main transporters for reduced Vit C are the SVCTs.
See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17541511
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

sl33py
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#5  Post by sl33py » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks tjohnson_nb. For those of us who don't have an account to view the full study, what is the upshot? I can't get the gist of how yoghurt would affect the C from the abstract...

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by tjohnson_nb » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:21 pm

The study has nothing to do with yorgurt :) It's simply about the various ways C can enter cells. I don't know of any way sugar can 'oxidize' vit C. If an AA molecule encounters a free radical it will donate an electron or 2 - that is its job. So unless the sugar molecule has lost an electron for some reason the Vit C will leave it alone, I guess.
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”