Withdrawal effects of stopping Metoprolol??

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Withdrawal effects of stopping Metoprolol??

Post Number:#1  Post by ChuckArbogast » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:15 am

Hello,
I was wondering if there are any rebound/withdrawal effects when stopping metoprolol? I went from my normal dose of 25mg to 12.5mg for about a month, then cut that in half for about two weeks and then off of it completely. It has been about 10 days since I stopped taking it and I feel worse now than when I started. The only other prescription drug I am on is 5mg of Lisinopril.

Is there anything I can do/take to either stop or reduce what I am feeling?

Thanks,
Chuck

Frank51
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Withdrawal effects of stopping Metoprolol??

Post Number:#2  Post by Frank51 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:56 pm

What are you feeling Chuck? I quit taking metoprolol similar to the way you did and I've felt much better since then.

I stopped taking all prescription meds at six weeks after my cabgx5. I had some arrhythmias after the surgery but those stopped when I started supplementing magnesium.

I take all the supplements Owen suggests in his book and probably a few more. I also mostly eat meat and a few green vegetables. That really got me feeling stronger and feeling good. I avoid sugar, flour, starchy vegetables and try not to eat much fruit because of the sugar in it.

Owen had suggested I read a book by Richard K.Bernstein on Diabetes and that got me looking in to my blood glucose levels. I haven't checked my glucose levels recently but I felt much better after changing my diet.
Last edited by Frank51 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by ChuckArbogast » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:50 am

Frank51,
I'm having muscle pain and what I think are palpitations. The pain gets bad at times but usually gets better with some Tylenol. I don't want to take Tylenol a lot, so I want to find a different way to eliminate this, assuming it is due to the withdrawal of the metoprolol. I had the exact same procedure as you, cabg x 5, and have eliminated all but one drug without the consent of the doctors. I'm still taking lisinopril as mentioned above, but want to possibly get off of that once things calm down with this metoprolol issue.

I'm hoping to find someone that can confirm what I am feeling is withdrawal from metoprolol and have something to help ease the discomfort until it will go away on its own.

Thanks,
Chuck

nineboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by nineboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:11 pm

I would take it real easy trying to get off Metoprolol. I'm sure johnwen will comment as everybody is different and what works for one might not for another. I am still on metoprolol and yes would like to get off but told no. I take my Vitamin C etc and feel pretty good at this time. Angina is gone Hallelujah. Take care. nineboy.

Frank51
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by Frank51 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Chuck I'm wondering if the lisinopril you're taking is causing the problems you've mentioned. I looked at the side affects of that drug and it could be what's causing your pain.

The link to Lisinopril side effects here. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/lisinopril-side-effects.html

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by Johnwen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:59 pm

I feel worse now than when I started.
Is there anything I can do/take to either stop or reduce what I am feeling?

1st: My Disclaimer!
Before Starting or Stopping any Drug it should be done under your Doctor’s Guidance!!!

My Answers:
Yep! You will!
AND TIME!!!!

This is the known long term side effects of Beta Blockers!

The answer your seeking is in the last paragraph of this Link!!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/62561 ... -blockers/

Because beta blockers work on the brain and nervous system, these organs adjust, over time, to beta blockers' presence. This means that suddenly stopping beta blocker use can cause a phenomenon known as rebound hypertension. This is caused by the brain adjusting the strength of its signals to the heart as a result of this medication that partially blocks these signals. When the drug is suddenly gone, the brain keeps sending out these stronger heart-pumping signals, which can cause high blood pressure and added stress on the heart.

Yep! Their addictive and need’s time to get things back to NORMAL!!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:18 am

Frank51 wrote:Chuck I'm wondering if the lisinopril you're taking is causing the problems you've mentioned. I looked at the side affects of that drug and it could be what's causing your pain.

The link to Lisinopril side effects here. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/lisinopril-side-effects.html

Frank51,
Thanks for that thought. I've thought of that as well. I've researched all of my past and present drugs (Atorvastatin, Metoprolol & Lisinopril) and according to drugs.com, they all have muscle pain as a potential side effect while using. While using those drugs after my heart attack in January 2015, I had constant muscle pain and low pulse (low 50's). Due to that, I convinced my cardiologist at that time to cut my atorvastatin in half to 40mg per day and my metoprolol in half to 50mg per day. In doing that, my muscle pain decreased tremendously and my heart rate got into the upper 50's to low 60's. Since the pain was completely gone and my heart rate wasn't up into the 60's consistently, she agreed to cut those doses in half again (20mg & 25mg) and it didn't seem to help much on the pain front but my pulse was normally in the 60's now. Long story short, I stopped taking the statin but my pain didn't get much better. I then slowly cut back on my metoprolol to zero and I am still having this pain about 2 weeks after me stopping it. So, it could be the lisinopril, however the pain has gotten much worse after stopping the metoprolol and it comes and goes. I have read about rebound effects of beta blockers, so I think that might be the culprit. However, I guess it could be the lisinopril.

Thanks again for your input and sorry for the long post,
Chuck

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:27 am

Johnwen wrote:1st: My Disclaimer!
Before Starting or Stopping any Drug it should be done under your Doctor’s Guidance!!!

My Answers:
Yep! You will!
AND TIME!!!!

This is the known long term side effects of Beta Blockers!

The answer your seeking is in the last paragraph of this Link!!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/62561 ... -blockers/

Because beta blockers work on the brain and nervous system, these organs adjust, over time, to beta blockers' presence. This means that suddenly stopping beta blocker use can cause a phenomenon known as rebound hypertension. This is caused by the brain adjusting the strength of its signals to the heart as a result of this medication that partially blocks these signals. When the drug is suddenly gone, the brain keeps sending out these stronger heart-pumping signals, which can cause high blood pressure and added stress on the heart.

Yep! Their addictive and need’s time to get things back to NORMAL!!

Johnwen,
I appreciate your input as always. Thanks for confirming that this rebound effect does happen. It appears that time is the main factor in all of this going away.

I was wondering if any supplements, like potassium, would help? I know I don't get anywhere near the RDA of 4700mg per day.

Also, as Frank's post mentions, could the Lisinopril I am taking cause my muscle pain/aches? I was told by my cardiologist that I was given this after my heart attack in January 2015 to help "remodel" my heart and not for high blood pressure. I'm not sure what "remodeling" means, but when I had my echo-cardiogram done in July that same year, she said my ejection fraction was between 50-55% which was about as good as it was going to be considering the damage from my heart attack. She said, since I improved from about 30% ejection fraction to that much in 6 months that she said that the lisinopril "obviously" was working and I should stay on it. I was always only taking 5mg per day.

So my question about lisinopril, is there any benefit to me (heart attack in Jan. 2015 and CABG x 5 in Oct. 2015) to continue to take the 5mg of lisinopril if it was to "remodel" my heart and do you think it could be causing my pain?

Thanks again for your input and I hope that you see this and reply,
Chuck

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by Johnwen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:24 am

Hi Chuck:

I got your mail and to me it appears you are having vasospasms.
Which usually present with the feelings of palpitations in the left and center chest.
The best scripted med for this is Name Brand Norvasc. Which is a Calcium Channel Blocker that was originally design to control this however it has a side effect of lowering BP. Which is where the problem comes in most doc’s and pharma’s will just write a script for Amlodipine Besylate which is the active ingredient but is a far cry from original NORVASC. So if you twist your doc’s arm real hard he’ll write the script for Norvasc and medically necessary, do not substitute!!
Next is price most insurances will not want to pay for it or the co pay will be steep! So you may have to battle them to get what you need!
Another alternative is Canada but watch these people, some will substitute a generic brand. The one I hear will get you the name brand is a Canada company that starts with “Maple” For obvious reason’s I eliminate the full name. I’ve seen these drugs which are Norvasc made by Pfizer in Turkey and they appear to work like they should. However I would try the local route first and see what works!!

If that helps but don’t solve the problem you may need to add some Nitro to settle things down. The best route here is to get a slow extended release type which carries the name Imdur or better known as Isosorbide Mononitrate this stops the spasms by dilating the arteries and providing extra nitric to relax the heart. Again this is a scripted med and generics work pretty good so this shouldn’t be a problem getting. Except getting past your doc!!!

As far as over the counter supplements L-Arginine 500 mg. 3X a day may help!

For remodeling Serrapeptase 40,000 spu units 2x aday for about 3 month’s and then 1X a day after. This supp. Has the ability to remove dead tissue from the system. There is a lot of info on it, so just do a search and see if it sounds right for you.

Hope this helps!
research!

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#10  Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:45 am

Johnwen wrote:Hi Chuck:

I got your mail and to me it appears you are having vasospasms.
Which usually present with the feelings of palpitations in the left and center chest.
The best scripted med for this is Name Brand Norvasc. Which is a Calcium Channel Blocker that was originally design to control this however it has a side effect of lowering BP. Which is where the problem comes in most doc’s and pharma’s will just write a script for Amlodipine Besylate which is the active ingredient but is a far cry from original NORVASC. So if you twist your doc’s arm real hard he’ll write the script for Norvasc and medically necessary, do not substitute!!
Next is price most insurances will not want to pay for it or the co pay will be steep! So you may have to battle them to get what you need!
Another alternative is Canada but watch these people, some will substitute a generic brand. The one I hear will get you the name brand is a Canada company that starts with “Maple” For obvious reason’s I eliminate the full name. I’ve seen these drugs which are Norvasc made by Pfizer in Turkey and they appear to work like they should. However I would try the local route first and see what works!!

If that helps but don’t solve the problem you may need to add some Nitro to settle things down. The best route here is to get a slow extended release type which carries the name Imdur or better known as Isosorbide Mononitrate this stops the spasms by dilating the arteries and providing extra nitric to relax the heart. Again this is a scripted med and generics work pretty good so this shouldn’t be a problem getting. Except getting past your doc!!!

As far as over the counter supplements L-Arginine 500 mg. 3X a day may help!

For remodeling Serrapeptase 40,000 spu units 2x aday for about 3 month’s and then 1X a day after. This supp. Has the ability to remove dead tissue from the system. There is a lot of info on it, so just do a search and see if it sounds right for you.

Hope this helps!

Johnwen,
Thanks for your reply.
Will these vasospasms occur for the rest of my life since I have had bypass surgery using veins?

Is that Calcium Channel Blocker ok with my condition? I know you said my Beta Blocker (Metoprolol) was no good, so wasn't sure if it had any issues.

Should I go to the doctor to try to get NORVASC as soon as possible? Is having vasospasms untreated dangerous?

I am taking (on again, off again) 5mg of an ACE Inhibitor (Lisinopril), which was given to me after my heart attack to "remodel" my heart per the cardiologist. Is that still something I need to do if my blood pressure is ok?

If my blood pressure is running around 125/82 without Lisinopril for about 14 days, would using Norvasc cause it to go too low? I haven't taken any Lisinopril for 14 days and that is about average, as well as these episodes being more frequent.

To get my NO up so my bypasses won't block again, I am currently taking Source Naturals Arginine/Citrulline complex which has 750mg of Arginine and 250mg of Citrulline per pill. I take 2 in the morning, 2 at noon and 2 in the evening, all with food. That is a total of 4500mg of Arginine per day as well as 1500mg of Citrulline per day. I was thinking about going strickley to a Citrulline powder and mix it with my Cardio C if that was ok, but I don't know how much to take. Any suggestions?

Would adding a potassium supplement help at all? I read on these forums that it helped with his heart beat issues. I wasn't sure if it was ok to take with an ACE inhibitor though since I read there was interactions with it on drugs.com.

What do you mean by remodeling? Not sure what you mean by that.

UPDATE (9/26):
I took my blood pressure while I was having these symptoms (around 11 am last Friday) and it was much higher than normal (which is done about 10 minutes after getting up in the morning), and was 148/90. So, I decided to start taking the Lisinopril again each morning. Since that time, the pains have mostly subsided but the sensation of feeling my heartbeat without touching my chest is still there. I did also feel my heart beat when touching my temple with my hand while this was going on, so I am not sure if that changes your opinion on the vasospasms or not.

I looked into my cost of the NORVASC and would be quite expensive for me. Would taking NORVASC every few days (2-3 days in between) be helpful at all? That would make the cost more bearable but I would still have to get my doctor to script it.

Are any of the other calcium channel blockers helpful with vasospasms or is it just NORVASC?

Also, you mention if the NORVASC didn't solve the issue, then could go with the slow extended release nitro. Is there a reason I wouldn't want to go with this first and not the NORVASC? The cost is much more affordable since you said that the generics are ok. Also, since I need to up my nitric oxide due to my bypass' using veins, it may be prudent to do this anyway. Since this wasn't your first choice, it appears like there is a good reason not to go with that path first.

Are there any tests to make sure what I am experiencing are vasospasms?

UPDATE (9/26):

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the questions,
Chuck
Last edited by ChuckArbogast on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lifeseeker

Post Number:#11  Post by Lifeseeker » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Withdrawal cold by doctor while in the hospital on metoprolol 125 a day was hell. Extreme pain, muscle spasms, depression , rebound....that's why I'm here. I'm trying to survive, the drugs have been killing me.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by Johnwen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:56 am

Chuck:

It’s going to take some time to answer your questions and right now I’m short on time :[
In the mean time here’s a couple of links to get you on track of what I’m talking about. There loaded with medical terms but I believe you’ll be able to read thru them and understand what their trying to get across also, lot of the treatments they discuss are in hospital therapy’s But getting Nitric Oxide Up is easily done at home!!

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/97/9/916

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3867628/

I figured that on the Norvasc $$$$ have a Talk with your pharmacist and see if they can get this one or have it in stock it’s as close as you can get now since Pfizer sold Greenstone off. Which use to be Pfizer generic arm but the formulation was identical to Norvasc. Vintage somehow got into the mix and uses the same process.

https://www.drugs.com/imprints/v-2109-16112.html

See what you doc has to say about Imdur???

Like Arnold!! “I’ll be Back!” with some more answers!
research!

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#13  Post by ChuckArbogast » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:16 am

Johnwen wrote:Chuck:

It’s going to take some time to answer your questions and right now I’m short on time :[
In the mean time here’s a couple of links to get you on track of what I’m talking about. There loaded with medical terms but I believe you’ll be able to read thru them and understand what their trying to get across also, lot of the treatments they discuss are in hospital therapy’s But getting Nitric Oxide Up is easily done at home!!

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/97/9/916

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3867628/

I figured that on the Norvasc $$$$ have a Talk with your pharmacist and see if they can get this one or have it in stock it’s as close as you can get now since Pfizer sold Greenstone off. Which use to be Pfizer generic arm but the formulation was identical to Norvasc. Vintage somehow got into the mix and uses the same process.

https://www.drugs.com/imprints/v-2109-16112.html

See what you doc has to say about Imdur???

Like Arnold!! “I’ll be Back!” with some more answers!

Johnwen,
Thanks for the reply. I will read that information when I get more time. If I understand you right, the Amlodipine besylate from Vintage should be the same as Norvasc since they use the same process and be effective for vasospasms, is that what you are saying? I can see if my pharmacist has that one or can get it as that would be much more reasonable.

I will be looking forward to your next post when you have more time.

Thanks again for all your help,
Chuck

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”