Not absorbing vitamin c

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: Not absorbing vitamin c

Post Number:#16  Post by OxC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:55 pm

ofonorow wrote:First, as far as the well-intended advice to take vitamin C in the partially oxidized form DHAA - I'd like to see even anecdotal results for partially-oxidized vitamin C that are like what we have posted at http://practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com/#TESTIMONY of using fully reduced vitamin C. These reports are (usually) of vitamin C as ascorbic acid.

Would something like this be what you're looking for? :
Further to my previous en-devours to rid myself of an 8 month or longer chest infection which cannot be resolved by even multiple antibiotics. I have managed to resolve the infection using a method initiated by you Doug and as advised by you. As I have said in previous messages I have had a partial recovery using this method but the blender heating and noise were a problem in my Condo complex. I therefore tried a few methods over the last month or more and will here disclose which best worked to resolve the infection...I managed to oxidize 21 grams of AA in 1 1/2 hours and could well have done more. I was then confident that I could make sufficient quantities to take large doses over several weeks. I took 5 gr initially but increased the dose to 8 gram taken 6 times daily. I also confess I took AA in between to a level which initiated Diarrhea. Probably 4 grams 3 time a day in between the juice. After 4 days there was no green mucus in my sputum but still coughed in the morning. After 8 days the cough receded but I still felt as if all was not well, I continued for a further 6 days on the same dosage and the infection resolved.

You can read this (and other testimonials) in the comments which accompany my video at https://youtu.be/YHKBhz7OCB4.
I also refer you to the remarkable results documented (with photographs) on the website which VCF forum member Barnsie has recently posted here http://www.vitaminc.kiwi/index.html

ofonorow wrote:Or any evidence that this woman's vitamin C readings would be any higher? DHAA is rapidly reduced or converted by special DHAA enzyme similar to catalyze.

Anyone seeking to understand why DHAA raises blood plasma ascorbate levels much higher than ascorbic acid need only watch the video referenced above...it is explained in detail, and is documented with plasma ascorbate values assayed by LabCorp showing 5 grams DHAA giving higher plasma values than 36 grams of the reduced form.

Now a question for you. DHAA is the FULLY oxidized form of vitamin C, not the PARTIALLY oxidized form, and I have corrected you on this point numerous times. Yet you continue to refer to it as the latter. So the question is, do you intentionally do this just to annoy me, or do you have some motivation to spread erroneous information about oxidized vitamin C?
Douglas Q. Kitt, founder of ReCverin LLC, sellers of stabilized dehydroascorbic acid solutions.

Jacquie
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#17  Post by Jacquie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:01 pm

ofonorow wrote:First, as far as the well-intended advice to take vitamin C in the partially oxidized form DHAA - I'd like to see even anecdotal results for partially-oxidized vitamin C that are like what we have posted at http://practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com/#TESTIMONY of using fully reduced vitamin C. These reports are ( usually )of vitamin C as ascorbic acid.

Or any evidence that this woman's vitamin C readings would be any higher? DHAA is rapidly reduced or converted by special DHAA enzyme similar to catalyze.

This report reminds me of Hugh Riordan's story of how he first became interested in vitamin C as a medical student. I forget the exact time in this video (https://youtu.be/pnvtep-O8y8). Riordan was giving himself vitamin C IV and testing his blood vitamin C levels. He was bit by a spider, and after the IV his blood levels were zero! This surprised him, and he had the same experience for several days, taking his blood vitamin C AFTER an intravenous infusion, yet his blood levels were ZERO. His (and my) conclusion was that tissues under stress can accept large amounts of ascorbate in the blood almost immediately after the vitamin C reaches the blood stream.

Something like this may be happening with your wife. Her tissues may be absorbing all the ascorbate that is made available in the blood stream, ergo, she should take more until she experiences Cathcart's Bowel Tolerance phenomenon.

These are my thoughts exactly. If she is truly not absorbing the oral vitamin C, one of two things must be happening: 1. toxins or something else in the intestine is completely destroying the C before it is taken up, or 2. she will have diarrhea as the unabsorbed C pulls water into her colon on its way out.

If you aren't experiencing food poisoning everyday, eating tremendous amounts of toxic chemicals, or having constant diarrhea, then you are absorbing the C, and if your blood levels are still low, it means you have a tremendous amount of need for C, much higher than you are taking, for your tissues to be pulling it out of your bloodstream so fast.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#18  Post by ofonorow » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:51 am

I appreciate the anecdote that supports your idea that DHAA inside cells is what really combats viral infections, if my memory serves. (Which is an issue ever since I started taking LEF.ORG's "Memory Protect." It works the opposite, at least in me! Getting better since I stopped taking it.)

Here, in this forum, we are discussing the number one cause of death, i.e., heart disease, which Pauling came to believe was a chronic form of scurvy. I know DHAA has "vitamin C" activity, but what I don't know is how long it remains in the blood. Why would anyone risk taking DHAA when simple and readily available ascorbic acid has such wondrous effects? In this case, of a woman with very low blood levels, if the problem really was absorption from the gut - why wouldn't she have massive diarrhea (as all the undigested vitamin C made it to the rectum?)

oxc wrote:Anyone seeking to understand why DHAA raises blood plasma ascorbate levels much higher than ascorbic acid need only watch the video referenced above...it is explained in detail, and is documented with plasma ascorbate values assayed by LabCorp showing 5 grams DHAA giving higher plasma values than 36 grams of the reduced form.

I have watched one of your videos. Higher plasma values of what? Vitamin C? Where can I read the hard copy of this report? And I am not sure, if true, that this finding is something to be proud of. Logic dictates that 36 grams made it into the tissues. Why didn't the DHAA get absorbed into the tissues?

oxc wrote:Now a question for you. DHAA is the FULLY oxidized form of vitamin C, not the PARTIALLY oxidized form, and I have corrected you on this point numerous times. Yet you continue to refer to it as the latter. So the question is, do you intentionally do this just to annoy me, or do you have some motivation to spread erroneous information about oxidized vitamin C?

I stand confused and blame LEF.ORG (memory protect). I thought you corrected me when I called DHAA the "fully oxidized" form, so I began calling it the partially oxidized form. DHAA has donated one electron - correct? (Or has it donated both?) If it has donated one electron, why is calling it "partially" oxidized an error? And what about the Ascorbate Free Radical? Wouldn't that be the FULLY Oxidized form. A chemist I am not. I look forward to your correction. Sorry for making you explain it again.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#19  Post by OxC » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:39 pm

ofonorow wrote:Higher plasma values of what? Vitamin C? Where can I read the hard copy of this report?...Why didn't the DHAA get absorbed into the tissues?

Yes, the plasma values are vitamin C. Specifically, plasma ascorbate in the reduced form, just as is found in the plasma when common ascorbic acid is ingested. This is because most of the ingested DHAA is converted into reduced ascorbate by the intestinal enterocytes immediately after it is absorbed into these cells, and before it is subsequently released into the bloodstream. Thus providing proof that the DHAA did, in fact, enter the "tissues" (intestinal cells). Once in the blood plasma, there is no difference between ascorbate derived from ingesting ascorbic acid versus that derived from ingesting DHAA (with the exception that there is a lot more in the plasma if you ingest 5 grams of DHAA as compared to ingesting 5 grams of AA). You can view copies of the twelve lab reports here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Asn6uG4a-aFIggFo94-i6xCts6DS

ofonorow wrote:Logic dictates that 36 grams made it into the tissues.

"36 grams" refers to the amount of the reduced form that was ingested by the two subjects in Hickey's study. Both of these people suffered diarrhea from ingesting this size dose, as documented in the article. So I don't think logic dictates that 36 grams made it into the tissues, because logic dictates that a large portion of the 36 grams ingested by each of those subjects made it into the feces, and finally the toilet.

ofonorow wrote:
DHAA has donated one electron - correct? (Or has it donated both?) If it has donated one electron, why is calling it "partially" oxidized an error? And what about the Ascorbate Free Radical? Wouldn't that be the FULLY Oxidized form.

• Reduced ascorbic acid carries two available electrons. It is called ascorbate when it is ionized. (Ionization does not remove an electron from the molecule...ascorbate still has two electrons to donate).
  • When a molecule of ascorbate loses one electron to oxidation, it is called semi-dehydroascorbic acid or mono-dehydroascorbic acid or the ascorbyl radical or various other terms such as the "ascorbate free radical" or "partially oxidized ascorbate."
  • When a molecule of semi-dehydroascorbic acid loses a second electron to oxidation, it is called dehydroascorbic acid, which also could be referred to as "fully-oxidized ascorbate."
I think it is important to refer to them correctly, because it is complicated enough to understand the various oxidation, absorption, and recycling pathways in the body without compounding that with incorrect terminology.
Douglas Q. Kitt, founder of ReCverin LLC, sellers of stabilized dehydroascorbic acid solutions.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#20  Post by ofonorow » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:19 am

Regarding the one versus two electron issue, what then is the ascorbate free radical? What turns it into a free radical?

I think I know that the reason vitamin C is considered an antioxidant is because it is still stable after it looses an electron. Your saying that it has the unique ability to lose two electrons, and still remain stable and doesn't start stealing electrons from other atoms/molecules? (How do we know that the process hasn't created Oxygen free radicals?)

So we are back to how/where does it obtain the electrons to be reduced back to ascorbate, and the answer according to Cathcart has been - more ascorbate. (If electrons are readily available, why is there any free radical issue?)

And as your very interesting lab reports probably show - taking DHAA can increase your blood levels of AA, but do we know that is what is measured? Why couldn't it be elevated DHAA in the blood causing the Vitamin C" readings? Technically, that would still be correct. How do we know the "break down" or "break up" from DHAA -> AA didn't happen before you ingested? And comparing this with Hickey's work is a stretch.

Thanks for the lab reports. Have you graphed the results? It appears, from looking at multiple graphs, from the times involved, that you are measuring entry to the blood from lower in the gut. And they are very interesting, to say the least.

It has been my opinion, from the beginning, that you should be concentrating on cancers. Under almost any theory I know of, DHAA would be more effective than AA. You know, professor Susuke Konno, et. al at the New York University test substances with and without chemo in standard cancer cell cultures. As disinterested third parties, if you could get them to run their experiments using DHAA, that would be very interesting.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#21  Post by OxC » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:12 am

Jacquie wrote:If she is truly not absorbing the oral vitamin C, one of two things must be happening: 1. toxins or something else in the intestine is completely destroying the C before it is taken up, or 2. she will have diarrhea as the unabsorbed C pulls water into her colon on its way out...If you aren't experiencing food poisoning everyday, eating tremendous amounts of toxic chemicals, or having constant diarrhea, then you are absorbing the C...

Polyethylene glycol is used as a laxative (e.g. Miralax) and its mechanism is believed to be completely osmotic (i.e., it "pulls water into the colon on the way out"). The recommended dose for an adult is 17 g/day as a "stool softener," but some clinical trials suggest doses closer to 60 g/day are more optimal for constipation (and it does not regularly produce diarrhea at these doses, at least in constipated people). In order to assure diarrhea in most people, such as when this product is used for a colonoscopy prep, a whopping 238 g dose is used. So it appears that many people can tolerate a pretty large dose of an osmotic agent in the colon without experiencing diarrhea.

Cathcart has said, "At least 80% of adult patients will tolerate 10 to 15 grams of ascorbic acid fine crystals in 1/2 cup water divided into 4 doses per 24 hours without having diarrhea." But Levine has demonstrated that a typical person can only efficiently absorb into the bloodstream about 0.25 g (in a single dose over a period of about 2-4 hours), and that doses above 0.4 g and up to 2.5 g produce minimal increases in plasma ascorbate levels above those achieved with a 0.25 g dose. Suggesting that a large portion of a large dose in a normal person passes through the small intestine unabsorbed and into the colon. (Many people on this forum don't seem to believe this is true, but both Cathcart and Pauling did. Cathcart at one point expressed his opinion that a person probably absorbs about 50% of a large dose; this estimate is liberal as compared to the few scientific measurements available, but even this leaves large amounts to pass down to the colon. Pauling noted that "the first 250 mg is more important than any later 250 mg. The first 250 mg leads you up to the level where the blood is saturated. You can achieve a higher volume [concentration] in the blood by a larger intake, but you get much better improvement for the first 250 mg than for additional grams").

The point of all this is that "lack of diarrhea" does not equal "absorption into the bloodstream."

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#22  Post by Johnwen » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:10 pm

So we are back to how/where does it obtain the electrons to be reduced back to ascorbate?

The answer to this actually lies within the body first and foremost in this conversion is Homocysteine then copper and Iron are the major donators after that comes other mineral elements.

Since the normal human carries measurable amounts of these substances this conversion back to AA is quite rapid. By most research it has shown that the transported DHAA is converted back to AA within 6 minutes of entering the system. I must agree that DHAA will enter the system faster then AA for the simple reason DHAA is transported by the GLUT 1 transport which is the same carrier that brings Sugar (glucose) into the body.

AA is transported by the Glut 10 transporter which is the glucose transporter that carries glucose from the breakdown of brown fat (adipose tissue) and consumed and broken down sugars from foods and into the system.
The catch here is that DHAA is in competition with other consumed sugars such as soda, coated cereals, etc. and the body has a preference for natural sugars over any other structure forms resembling it. So if the DHAA is brought in at the same time or close to natural sugars consumption it will not make it into the system in the same quantity as taken.

Now AA if taken before or a set time after food it will be brought in quite rapidly. However as you can surmise since these transporters bring in broken down sugars from other tissues they must be filtered so instead of going right into the system they go directly to the liver for filtering, Within the liver as I believe most people know that eating liver raises your iron levels. Because there are free radicals of iron which when they come in contact with the AA and there is a conversion of AA to DHAA which will show lower plasma levels of AA.

Unfortunelity this conversion takes AA to DHAA to far and is not reducible.
So once it reaches the system it is a useless molecule and is expelled.
To counter this action there is a substance within the body that is able to slow this process that being Glutathione. This substance is kind of a two side sword in that it blunts the conversion of AA to DHAA so that the DHAA doesn’t completely brake down and still is a useable form, it also prevents the conversion of DHAA Back to AA in the blood. Which is what the body is looking for since only DHAA can enter the cells. The caveat here is your blood test for AA will show low since your levels of AA will be low but DHAA will be higher.

Now your talking a more complicated test and I have serious doubts a average doctor would script this test!!

I hope this clears up some of this conversion conversation!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Jacquie
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#23  Post by Jacquie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:13 pm

OxC, what you have quoted does not in any way show that large amounts of vitamin C can pass into the colon without causing diarrhea. At best, it might show that an "average" person absorbs a low percentage of what they take, but says nothing at all about not getting diarrhea from it.

OxC wrote:But Levine has demonstrated that a typical person can only efficiently absorb into the bloodstream about 0.25 g (in a single dose over a period of about 2-4 hours), and that doses above 0.4 g and up to 2.5 g produce minimal increases in plasma ascorbate levels above those achieved with a 0.25 g dose. Suggesting that a large portion of a large dose in a normal person passes through the small intestine unabsorbed and into the colon.

That may be so, in a typical person that is not taking large frequent doses everyday. But so what? This quote does not say that diarrhea does not happen after such a small amount is absorbed. (And it says nothing whatsoever about people who take large amount of ascorbate everyday, who may be building larger numbers of intestinal ascorbate transport channels.)

OxC wrote:Cathcart at one point expressed his opinion that a person probably absorbs about 50% of a large dose; this estimate is liberal as compared to the few scientific measurements available, but even this leaves large amounts to pass down to the colon.

Pauling noted that "the first 250 mg is more important than any later 250 mg. The first 250 mg leads you up to the level where the blood is saturated. You can achieve a higher volume [concentration] in the blood by a larger intake, but you get much better improvement for the first 250 mg than for additional grams"

Again, nothing here says Cathcart or Pauling thought this unabsorbed remainder passed into the colon and emerged as solid stools.

I'll repeat myself and say that non-absorption does not have to equal diarrhea; it can just as easily indicate destruction in the intestine (by bacteria, by toxins, etc.) into a non-osmotic end product (for example, oxalate).

I have not seen a study that shows (by measurement in stool) that significant amounts of ascorbate can pass into the large intestine and not cause diarrhea (absent severe dehydration).

Of importance, I haven't seen any studies measuring the absorption percentages of people who habitually take multigram doses of ascorbate, several times a day, every day.

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#24  Post by OxC » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Jacquie wrote:I have not seen a study that shows (by measurement in stool) that significant amounts of ascorbate can pass into the large intestine and not cause diarrhea (absent severe dehydration).

Of importance, I haven't seen any studies measuring the absorption percentages of people who habitually take multigram doses of ascorbate, several times a day, every day.

Nor have I ever seen such studies. Likewise, I've never seen a study demonstrating that there is any toxin that occurs in the GI tract of humans that destroys ascorbic acid. But I think arguments that are presumably substantiated by non-existent evidence are, well...poorly substantiated. I prefer to apply common sense and logical reasoning to the evidence that is available; in this case:
  • It appears many humans can tolerate a substantial amount of an osmotic agent in the large intestine without experiencing diarrhea. And that,
  • It appears many humans who takes a single dose of ascorbic acid greater than 400 mg will have a substantial amount pass through the small intestine unabsorbed.
Jacquie wrote:(And it says nothing whatsoever about people who take large amount of ascorbate everyday, who may be building larger numbers of intestinal ascorbate transport channels.)

Interestingly, there is at least one scientific study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11895172 that suggests just the opposite. That rather than "building larger numbers of transport channels," people who take large amounts of vitamin C may be suppressing the intestinal SVCT1 transporters.

Jacquie
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#25  Post by Jacquie » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:41 pm

OxC wrote:Nor have I ever seen such studies. Likewise, I've never seen a study demonstrating that there is any toxin that occurs in the GI tract of humans that destroys ascorbic acid. But I think arguments that are presumably substantiated by non-existent evidence are, well...poorly substantiated. I prefer to apply common sense and logical reasoning to the evidence that is available; in this case:
  • It appears many humans can tolerate a substantial amount of an osmotic agent in the large intestine without experiencing diarrhea. And that,
  • It appears many humans who takes a single dose of ascorbic acid greater than 400 mg will have a substantial amount pass through the small intestine unabsorbed.
Jacquie wrote:(And it says nothing whatsoever about people who take large amount of ascorbate everyday, who may be building larger numbers of intestinal ascorbate transport channels.)

Interestingly, there is at least one scientific study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11895172 that suggests just the opposite. That rather than "building larger numbers of transport channels," people who take large amounts of vitamin C may be suppressing the intestinal SVCT1 transporters.

You haven't even demonstrated adequately the first point of your premise, that people who take doses that aren't being absorbed are *not* having diarrhea.

The phenomenon of increased bowel tolerance during illness suggests increased absorption. This is the entire underpinning of Cathcart's rationale to take more vitamin C during such times. Ergo, "logic and common sense" would suggest similar mechanisms for increased bowel tolerance in other circumstances, such as people taking large doses frequently.

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#26  Post by OxC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Jacquie wrote:You haven't even demonstrated adequately the first point of your premise, that people who take doses that aren't being absorbed are *not* having diarrhea.

Jacquie, it seems we have irreconcilable differences in our interpretations of Cathcart, our perceptions of whether or not ascorbate can pass through the small intestine unabsorbed, and whether or not (and if so, how much) ascorbate might be tolerated in the large intestine without diarrhea. You've made your case, as have I. At this stage, further discussion on these points will likely begin to resemble a quarrel rather than a useful argument. So I'll just agree to disagree, and say thanks for your perspectives.

However, there is one point you've raised that I completely agree with, that being the possibility that certain intestinal bacteria might metabolize ascorbate, and thus have influence on this homeostasis being discussed. It brings to mind a discussion in a previous topic on this form. And since it's already been done, I won't reiterate but simply provide a link: viewtopic.php?p=43772#p43772

Best regards,
--Doug

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#27  Post by OxC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:01 pm

OxC wrote:
Jacquie wrote:You haven't even demonstrated adequately the first point of your premise, that people who take doses that aren't being absorbed are *not* having diarrhea.

Jacquie, it seems we have irreconcilable differences in our interpretations of Cathcart, our perceptions of whether or not ascorbate can pass through the small intestine unabsorbed, and whether or not (and if so, how much) ascorbate might be tolerated in the large intestine without diarrhea. You've made your case, as have I. At this stage, further discussion on these points will likely begin to resemble a quarrel rather than a useful argument. So I'll just agree to disagree, and say thanks for your perspectives.

However, there is one point you've raised that I completely agree with, that being the possibility that certain intestinal bacteria might metabolize ascorbate, and thus have influence on this homeostasis being discussed. It brings to mind a discussion in a previous topic on this forum. And since it's already been done, I won't reiterate but simply provide a link: viewtopic.php?p=43772#p43772

Best regards,
--Doug

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#28  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Great debate - almost hesitate to chime in (again.)

It appears many humans can tolerate a substantial amount of an osmotic agent in the large intestine without experiencing diarrhea. And that,
It appears many humans who takes a single dose of ascorbic acid greater than 400 mg will have a substantial amount pass through the small intestine unabsorbed.

This makes me think of you OxC and your very low bowel tolerance to small amounts of ascorbic acid. Do you really think that large amounts of ascorbate, and that are not absorbed into the blood,can pass to the rectum WITHOUT diarrhea? Your idea is based on a study of other "osmotic" substances. And that theory is Cathcart's - i.e., that this "drawing of water" is the cause of the diarrhea. It is only a theory.

So reading the discussion, johnwen credits copper and iron for the "electron donation" without explaining what happens to these metals after they donate their electrons!

Johnwen does give DHAA about six minutes of life, in the blood stream I guess. Then what?

At this point, I believe that the discussion is moot given how fast large amounts of ascorbic acid can enter the blood stream (See our Bioavailability of Vitamin C)

Ascorbic Acid can enter the blood stream through the stomach wall without benefit of either common Vitamin C transporter. (At least that is the theory) Transport seems to be a function of the permeability of the stomach lining to small organic acids depending on the acidity of the stomach. Ascorbic acid (which is a higher pH than the stomach), actually cuts this method of transport off by "buffering" to a higher pH than the stomach. (See our Bioavailability of Vitamin C Topic)

As far as the arguments that DHAA is better absorbed, the apples/apples would be between DHAA and a mineral ascorbate, i.e., later on down the gut using the standard transporters in the intestines.

Quick addition, from the Pauling Cancer video the "50%" loss is vitamin C that made it to the urine, but note it would have to be absorbed into the blood stream before it can exit that way. So Cathcart's and Pauling's numbers may be with respect to entry into cells/tissues.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#29  Post by OxC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:58 pm

ofonorow wrote:This makes me think of you OxC and your very low bowel tolerance to small amounts of ascorbic acid.

I'm not a daily megadoser like some members. Generally I take around 1 gram vitamin C per day, that being about 50:50 AA/DHAA, which includes about 100 mg that I religiously apply to my skin. I've taken 5 grams AA in water, fasting, first thing in the morning a few times without any issues. Once, for an experiment, not sickness, I took 10 grams AA in water, first thing in the morning; this resulted in diarrhea in just about 30 minutes. We discussed this instance in another topic sometime ago, and you referred to my "very low bowel tolerance" then as you have done again here. I'm puzzled; according to my interpretation of Cathcart's teachings, if 10 grams gave me diarrhea, that would be a good indication that I'm getting plenty. I'm not familiar with him teaching that a "bowel tolerance" in the 5-10 gram range is some kind of problem. He said that 10-15 grams (in 4 divided doses throughout the day) was typical for a healthy person, and that he believed taking it in divided doses probably increased the "bowel tolerance" by half again as much compared to taking a single dose. Could you explain what I'm missing here?

Now, you've mentioned that your father couldn't take more than about 200 mg (if I recall correctly) without problems. That does seem unusual, and I guess it might be an indication that he was a person with some problem absorbing AA. I often speculate, when I hear of people who can take very little AA, that they are the ones who might benefit most by taking oral DHAA, since it is absorbed by a different mechanism, and is in fact non-acidic.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#30  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Thank you for clarifying. I again blame Life Extension's MEMORY PROTECT (w/lithium) for my memory loss.

I remember that you had trouble downing the 10 grams of AA for our experiment, and I thought I remembered you saying that your tolerance was quite low. You are correct that Cathcart's bell curve runs from 4 grams daily to over 20 grams daily, so the median is probably between 10 and 12 grams, and as you say, spread throughout the day. So technically, based on your last post, you are somewhere in the middle, but for my standards, your tolerance is still rather low. We have had posters who said they were well with bowel tolerances of 30,000 mg daily, and the old poster David consumed over 100 grams daily.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”