Lp(a) rising since January on Linus Pauling's Therapy

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Lp(a) rising since January on Linus Pauling's Therapy

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:42 am

Owen,

This is [deleted] and I’m writing to see if you can provide help. I’ve been taking your Cardio C twice a day since January. I just had my annual physical and results of cholesterol test showed lipoprotein (a) has gone from 108 to 136.6.

Total cholesterol number is 146; HDL 74 which dropped from 79, and LDL is 60 which dropped from 63.

Niacin which the doctors recommended when it was 108 didn’t go well - I get flu like symptoms. I was on non-flush niacin, 2000 mgs a day but stopped thinking it wasn’t working. Doctors have not responded to my most recent tests but I’m expecting they will advise more medication or try to force niacin which may not be an alternative for me.

Family history - mother died at 55 of heart attack and brother died at 63, my current age, in his sleep. He had a 90% blockage on front artery at age 40. No autopsy but they attribute his death to a cardiac surge?? He was in better shape than anyone I know - had biked 50 miles the day he died.

I’m 5’4” and weigh 106 lbs. Since January, I have cut out all processed foods and diet consist primarily of vegetables and some lean meats, nuts, and berries. Biggest vice is moderate drinking.

My doctor says I’m part of a small group they consider outliers - not systematic with most patients they deal with. I have cut out spin classes because they don’t want me doing high intensity cardio so now am currently training for the AVON walk in September, something I’m not willing to give up.

Current medications are generic crestor 20 mgs 4 days a week and 40 3 days; HRT, D3-5000IU daily, 1200 Fish Oil, Unique E 400 IU, your Cardio C two to three times a day and I take a fair amount of aspirin for headaches so don’t always take the 80 recommended daily.
Lastly, I had a calcium scan done last year and was in the 90% range for females my age so you can see that the prognosis is not good for me.

I was so encouraged by what I read on the Vitamin C and Linus Pauling’s findings but now am wondering if I’m an outlier for that too although I know it has not been much time.

I’m hoping that you will let me know your thoughts/opinions on my situation and am desperate for any advice/help you can bring to the table. I’m expecting the formal results report from the doctors shortly and the recommendations for treatment - my cardiologist and internist agree that we have maxed out on the statin.

If you do decide to respond, I’ll be happy for you to publish but would appreciate it to be anonymous at least for now.

Thank you!

You have been on vitamin C and lysine for 2.5 months, and the problem seems to be an increase in Lp(a), do I have the right? Please share your vitamin C supplementation prior to January? Were you supplementing vitamin C? (If not, Linus Pauling's theory is that not supplementing vitamin C lies at the root of your problems.) So the Golden Rule is to continue supplementing vitamin C every day, not to miss a single day, whether it be Cardio-C, or any other form of vitamin C, mostly as ascorbic acid. Heed Pauling's advice.

Now to your points.

I just had my annual physical and results of cholesterol test showed lipoprotein (a) has gone from 108 to 136.6.

I hope those units are nmol/l! So the issue we have long worried about is that the FDA allows laboratories to "estimate" rather than actually measure Lp(a). So you need to find out whether these results are measured - or merely calculated (and therefore useless). Now if you have experienced a real increase in Lp(a) - I would blame the statin Crestor - in my opinion, (as well as most consumer watchdog groups) Crestor the most DANGEROUS statin-cholesterol lowering drug known. A significant negative property of ALL statin-cholesterol drugs is that they elevate Lp(a). (These warnings are required in the Canadian medical journals, but not the editions intended for the USA.)

Assuming your cholesterol numbers are the standard mg/dl - your total cholesterol is very low, probably 40 points under where it should be, so why do they have you on CRESTOR??? (The standard explanation is that there are "other" anti-inflammatory benefits, other than lowering cholesterol. In my opinion, this is "bunk" based on Big Pharma funded "junk science" aimed at selling more of these $27 Billion dollar per year drugs.)

In my opinion you are being mistreated. Johnwen?

In my opinion, given the statin, you should be taking AT least 200 mg of CoQ10 (to protect from organ failure and heart failure). I might start with 600 to 1200 mg daily, and taper down to a maintenance dose of 200 mg CoQ10. CoQ10 is not absorbed unless it is eaten with fats (there must be bile in the GI Tract). If I were you, I would also supplement an absorbable form of magnesium - 300 to 500 mg daily. (I like the fact that you are taking Unique-E, Kudos!)

Calcium

We have learned subsequent to Pauling's death (thank you Life Extension!) that the most important nutrient/hormone for moving calcium from soft tissue into bones is vitamin K. One LEF.ORG Super-K daily has kept my wife and me completely caclium free - zero scores on the fast CTscans. If I had a high calcium score, I would add a good vitamin K to my supplement regimen. (And conversely, if you are taking some drug that contraindicates vitamin K (e.g. Warfarin) the THAT DRUG IS THE REASON FOR YOUR HIGH CALCIUM SCORE. We can discuss alternatives if that is the case.

Summary.

Stay on Vitamin C every day
Add CoQ10 and Magnesium
Wean off CRESTOR - perhaps with doctor's assistance
Add vitamin K
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Lp(a) rising since January on Linus Pauling's Therapy

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:57 am

Owen,

Cannot express my thanks to you for your interest and recommendations.

You can thank Rob for the Unique-E. He was such a great help when I called Vitamin C Foundation to look for alternatives to my current treatment. I agree it feels like the doctors are missing something.

The original 108.8 Lp(a) units were mg/dl - so I’m guessing the 136.6 is the same although I do not have the written report yet. At the bottom it says lab established the performance characteristics of the test through validation but not approved by FDA- I don’t even know what that means. I have been on Crestor for a number of years and on some kind of statin at least 10 years or longer and the high Lp(a) has always been part of the discussion for treatment.

Cholesterol numbers are mg/dl - the doctors goal is to get LDL down into the 40s due to my family history but that’s never going to happen based on my inability to get it down into the 50s with Crestor and low fat diet.

I’m not on Warfarin so that’s not an issue.

I can send you the blood results when I get them if you think it would help.

Is it possible that the compound HRT has anything to do with any of this? I’m on a very low dose and was on birth control pretty much my whole adult life due to complications with pain, etc.

As per your recommendations, just to be clear -

I already have Unol liquid CoQ10 100 mg, just have not been taking it regularly. I should take your recommended dose prior to meals?

On Lef.org, I found Magnesium caps 500mg and Super K w/advanced K2 Complex - are both those okay?
Currently taking Cardio C twice a day - first thing in the morning and just switched from bedtime to late afternoon prior to eating - my system seems to think that is enough but will it meet our goals here?
I suspect doctor will freak out at weaning off Crestor but I like that idea a lot.

My plan is to respond in the website for sure to let your readers know how invaluable this is, however, just wondered if all this is more info than they want to see at this point. If you are okay with it, then I am too although I appreciate that your continuing to keep it anonymous. Feels like I’m some weird puzzle to figure out.

Thanks so much!!

C
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:06 am

I like both of the LEF.ORG products, but if those numbers are measured Lp(a) (I'm pretty sure they are not) then you should consider adding another dose of an Lp(a) Binding Inhibitor, e.g. Cardio-C, or better yet, add the 3rd dose as Tower Ascorsine9. This is to prevent the high levels of Lp(a) from being able to form plaques. I hope johnwen will help you wean the Crestor. Bad drug :evil:

http://www.worstpills.org/public/crestor.cfm

http://www.citizen.org/Page.aspx?pid=3212

https://www.schmidtandclark.com/crestor
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by Johnwen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am

This is a lot easier then it seems???

Crestor is one of the worst drugs in the statin family for Rhabdomyolysis and Myositis.

Rhabdomyolysis is break down (death) of muscle tissue.
Myositis is inflammation of muscle tissue.

What this person is saying is their experiencing muscle damage as based on their LP(a) changes.

LP(a)’s job is to attach to and remove dead tissue and is the reason that lysine is used to deactivate it Ie. Give the LP(a) something to grab onto before it can latch onto a damaged area in the arteries.
Once it attaches to a dead area be it muscle or artery it then acts as a magnet to bring fat (cholesterol) to the damage area for nourishment and covering.
If the fat (Cholesterol) levels are low such as this case the inflammation will increase and the LP(a) levels will also.
My questions are:
Has the doctor done a CRP or CK test?
Have this person been experiencing any forgetfulness?
Sudden pain or shooting pain in the legs or arms or chest areas?
Constant thirst?
Dark urine?

All said and done I’m 100% in agreement with Owen on his writings here!
In reality as long as this person continues down this dangerous path of starving their body of a necessary element with this dangerous drug they will continue to have more and more problems and any dose of V-C will not be able to correct them. So don’t blame the V-C for the problems when the garbage their taking in is what is causing it!

Here’s a link on Crestor! To add to Owens!

http://www.citizen.org/hrg1729
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Tomasz

Post Number:#5  Post by Tomasz » Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 am

Hi . I am new in this forum
I have a question regarding LP(a). In since January I am on Linus Pauling Therapy . Since January even though I am taking Vit C , Lisyne , Proline , Q10, and Homocystex X (to lower my Homocysteine) and my Lp a still is 1556 mg/L. I am not taking any medicine except Brilinta and aspirin after stents done in July 2016. Could you help with that

Tomasz

Post Number:#6  Post by Tomasz » Tue May 30, 2017 11:11 am

Also my LIfeLab does not know how they lab in Hamilton ON measure the Lp(a) only that this is in mg/L
" 1556mg/L - See Comment mg/L
REFERENCE INTERVAL: <= 300 mg/L Low
Risk of Cardiovascular Disease > 300
mg/L Increased Risk of
Cardiovascular Disease
This test was referred to Hamilton Health
Sciences Main Lab (Hamilton General)
237 Barton St E, Hamilton ON L8L 2X2"

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:54 am

Not used to those units, but assume 1556mg/L is 155.6 mg/dl (dividing by 10). What is your total cholesterol, and especially LDL? (If your reported Lp(a) is HIGHER than LDL, there is a problem because Lp(a) is a SUBSET of LDL cholesterol. And in that case, my guess is that the Lp(a) is "calculated" (e.g. useless) rather than measured.

In any case YOUR ARE DOING EXACTLY THE RIGHT THING IF YOUR Lp(a) IS INDEED THAT HIGH. Pauling and Rath invented Lp(a) binding inhibitors, basically lysine (and proline) added to vitamin C. These orthomolecular substances at the proper dosages (you seem to be okay or close) will inactivate Lp(a) in the blood making it "less sticky." So the higher the Lp(a), the more you need Pauling's therapy. Capice?

As far as lowering Lp(a), there is little data/science to support such a phenomenon - other than reports at this forum. There is anecdotal evidence that the proline plays a pivotal role in lowering Lp(a). I know that johnwen's and my Lp(a) numbers are less than something like 3 mg/dl.

There is an interesting report from a Life Extension consultation. The LEF.ORG advisor found a study that carnitine lowers Lp(a).

Added - I thought I had read somewhere, maybe another post, how much vitamin C, lysine and proline you are taking. How much are you taking?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”