Lysine & Proline in food, it seems like a lot. Is it enough?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Lysine & Proline in food, it seems like a lot. Is it enough?

Post Number:#1  Post by skwoodwiva » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:45 pm

There is a lot of lysine and proline in many vegetable and animal proteins. If I am sure to get say 10 g of L and say 5 g of P from daily meals might I be able to drop them as supplements?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 ... 000-w.html

BTW,
I take 2.3g of VC 9 times a day now.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Lysine & Proline in food, it seems like a lot. Is it enough?

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 am

skwoodwiva wrote:There is a lot of lysine and proline in many vegetable and animal proteins. If I am sure to get say 10 g of L and say 5 g of P from daily meals might I be able to drop them as supplements?

I actually measured each bite I ate and calculated it's micro-nutrient content in 2011. Daily lysine summed up to 3.3 g, and proline 3.2 g on a 2200 calorie diet. I wouldn't assume anything from nutrition-data alone, but only once you actually measured and calculated your own dietary intake for at least a month. Which always gives unexpected surprises.

Linus Pauling came to the 6 g recommendation through clinical experimentation with failing patients, which too had their share of lysine from diet, and only found it at that additional intake level effective at all.

On the other hand, had a significant PAD remission almost 3 years ago. And in retrospect calculated the deviation of all supplements taken the proceeding year compared relative to my intake for the whole 9 year I'm on Pauling's therapy. Interestingly, in that preceding year my lysine and proline intake had declined by about 20% (from 6 lysine and 2 g proline in average).

Personally wouldn't drop them completely, and at least continue with the 'prevention' dose of 3 g per day lysine.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by pamojja » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:42 am

zarfas wrote:
pamojja wrote:Linus Pauling came to the 6 g recommendation through clinical experimentation with failing patients, which too had their share of lysine from diet, and only found it at that additional intake level effective at all.

I'm not understanding this? so when a Patient had 6grams lysine via diet, it wasnt enough?

Neither Linus Pauling, nor I in my post indicated he got already 6 g lysine from diet. How could we know? He upped his supplemental dose to 6 g and it helped. We can, however assume that this patient did get some grams of lysine from food too, like everyone of us .

zarfas wrote:
pamojja wrote:On the other hand, had a significant PAD remission almost 3 years ago. And in retrospect calculated the deviation of all supplements taken the proceeding year compared relative to my intake for the whole 9 year I'm on Pauling's therapy. Interestingly, in that preceding year my lysine and proline intake had declined by about 20% (from 6 lysine and 2 g proline in average).

PAD=Peripheral artery disease (PAD) is a narrowing of the peripheral arteries to the legs, stomach, arms, and head ?

so how did you have the measured?

Main symptoms is that much pain in legs while walking, that one has to stop. In my case already after 3-400 meter. Diagnostically with MRI and ultra sound a 80% stenosis at the abdominal aorta bifurcation.

zarfas wrote:sounds great and how did you get that to go into remission?

Pauling's therapy, the recommendations of Dr. William Davis, a low carb, high fat diet, and patience.

zarfas wrote:you were on Pauling therapy for 8years and on year 9, you changed something? I am not understanding what you wrote, can you help me out with some clarification about what you did to get remission?

I was on Pauling therapy for 9 years. During all these years there were fluctuations - increases and decreases - of all nutrients, some introduced later (like Ayurvedic herbals), other discontinued (like pumpkin seed extract). The complete remission of the walking pain in my legs (called intermittent claudication) happened at the beginning of year 6 of all these 9 years. However, started already very gradually with the 1st year by increasing pain-free walking distance up to 1 hour.

What I did to get remission? All of the above for 9 years now.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:40 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:There is a lot of lysine and proline in many vegetable and animal proteins. If I am sure to get say 10 g of L and say 5 g of P from daily meals might I be able to drop them as supplements?

Also not to forget that most lysine powders sold in most cases is actually lysine-hcl. The hydrocloride making up 21.2% of its weight, and if one subtracts that from 6 g of powder, one actually got 4,728 g of lysine only.

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by francisunderwood » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:23 pm

pamojja wrote:

Also not to forget that most lysine powders sold in most cases is actually lysine-hcl. The hydrocloride making up 21.2% of its weight, and if one subtracts that from 6 g of powder, one actually got 4,728 g of lysine only.

Do you know of any powders or pills that this is not the case?

Another thought is if farming practices are on a mass scale would lysine not be lower than if someone grew their on food with traditional methods?

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by francisunderwood » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:05 pm

zarfas wrote:
francisunderwood wrote:
Do you know of any powders or pills that this is not the case?

Another thought is if farming practices are on a mass scale would lysine not be lower than if someone grew their on food with traditional methods?

sprnig vcally lysine

https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Valley-L- ... B004VGT4TC

they are recommended by consumerlabs
https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Lys ... ns/Lysine/

or just take eggwhites
or both

The Spring Valley one is the hydrocloride version according to the label. The reviews are really good and the test which I don't have access to is supposed to be good from what I read in a review. At Wal-Mart they are only around 4 dollars.

Egg whites is a no go for me. Just can't stand them for some reason.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#7  Post by skwoodwiva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:05 pm

pamojja wrote:

What about your favorite pure bulk? I ordered a KG.

Good that my link does not work, it seems inaccurate. It works only from Google.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 ... 00000.html

Here http://www.sandiegohomeopathy.com/downl ... _Foods.pdf
Ignore the arginine.

Looking at this list, it seems I get plenty if I always eat a certain way.
Yet if I cannot eat plenty of my faves, then I will supplement.
Hmmm, I May resort to a baseline of some every day

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#8  Post by skwoodwiva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

pamojja wrote: Pauling's therapy, the recommendations of Dr. William Davis, a low carb, high fat diet, and patience.

How high is your fat diet?

Mine is 25 to 35 % (Not sure actually) from saturated and evoo.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by pamojja » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 am

skwoodwiva wrote:
pamojja wrote: Pauling's therapy, the recommendations of Dr. William Davis, a low carb, high fat diet, and patience.

I measured my dietary nutrients only from 2009 to 2012. So now I actually don't know where I'm at, just followed Dr. Davis advises:

TrackYourPlaque

• Identifying of all causes, adaptation of strategies, and continuous evaluation through extensive laboratory and coronary calcium score testing
  • Individual reduction of carbohydrates by singling out most offending by testing postprandial blood-glucose responses
  • Basically optimizing serum 25(OH)D (60-80 ng/dl), thyroid and other hormones, Mg, Fish-oil, K2, Iodine, etc

dietary wise:

• Correct metabolic responses with elimination of wheat, cornstarch, and sugars; limited dairy
  • Don’t limit fats, but choose the right fats
  • Unlimited vegetables, some fruits
  • Unlimited raw nuts and seeds
  • Unlimited healthy oils
  • Foods Should Be Unprocessed

And armored with a blood glucose-meter, changed from a life-long low fat vegan to in average 68% of fat-intake by calories in the 3 years I measured.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#10  Post by skwoodwiva » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:49 am

pamojja wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:

I measured my dietary nutrients only from 2009 to 2012. So now I actually don't know where I'm at, just followed Dr. Davis advises:

TrackYourPlaque

• Identifying of all causes, adaptation of strategies, and continuous evaluation through extensive laboratory and coronary calcium score testing
  • Individual reduction of carbohydrates by singling out most offending by testing postprandial blood-glucose responses
  • Basically optimizing serum 25(OH)D (60-80 ng/dl), thyroid and other hormones, Mg, Fish-oil, K2, Iodine, etc

dietary wise:

• Correct metabolic responses with elimination of wheat, cornstarch, and sugars; limited dairy
  • Don’t limit fats, but choose the right fats
  • Unlimited vegetables, some fruits
  • Unlimited raw nuts and seeds
  • Unlimited healthy oils
  • Foods Should Be Unprocessed

And armored with a blood glucose-meter, changed from a life-long low fat vegan to in average 68% of fat-intake by calories in the 3 years I measured.

Wow, I am intrigued!
You must be an O or a B.
I can only eat rice as a limited carb. No dairy at all.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by pamojja » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 am

What is an O or a B?

Can't even eat rice.

what is your A1c? or have you ever been diabetic?

Prediabetic with a average fasting BG of 101 for the last 9 years. Average HbA1c has been 5.1% (with one outlier at 6.2%). However, HbA1c can be seriously misleading for a number of reasons (anemia, shorter RBC-life, high dose vitamin C, etc). For example, if I take my mean BG of 117 mg/dl I get a calculated HbA1c of 5.7%. If I take the 5.1% I get a calculated mean BG of 98 mg/dl only. Therefore don't trust my measured HbA1c at all.

how did your Lp(a) change? or did it?

Lowest at 34 mg/dl, highest at 66 (<30 range). All the time fluctuating. Lowest when my testosterone (free+total) and DHEA for the first time normalized.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#12  Post by skwoodwiva » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:58 pm

pamojja wrote:What is an O or a B?

Can't even eat rice.

Blood type. Do you know yours?
I am an O. High IAP enzyme gives Os & Bs the ability to process a lot of fat

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by pamojja » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm A.

Joanna45
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#14  Post by Joanna45 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm B positive

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#15  Post by skwoodwiva » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 pm

pamojja wrote:

I'm A.

I am surprised, A's take to being vegetarian well, need to avoid beef & do not handle a lot of fat well.
You are an unusual A. Secretor status matters too. Rh factor not at all, about diet anyway.

A Secretor is defined as a person who secretes their blood type antigens into body fluids and secretions like the saliva in your mouth, the mucus in your digestive tract and respiratory cavities, etc. Basically what this means is that a secretor puts their blood type into these body fluids.

But what do I know? I just have followed the ERFYBT diet for 18 years now. Wifey is an O too.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”