Lysine

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Xdxml
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lysine

Post Number:#1  Post by Xdxml » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:37 pm

Dear all

I've been taking lysine along with proline and vitamin c up to 10g Vitamin c and in supplement form around 4 to 5 grams of lysine.

I read that an avg chicken breast contains about 2 to 3 grams of lysine

My concern here is that the forum here recommends not more than 6 grams of lysine during the therapy.

I usually eat about 2 or 3 chicken breasts a day which can mean I'm having about 6 grams alone in lysine from my food.

Is there a risk of overdosing on lysine...technically it means I'm getting 4 grams supplement form and at least 6 grams from my diet and that would be over the recommended 6 grams a day.

Any thoughts about this

Appreciate it

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Lysine

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:21 am

Xdxml wrote:Is there a risk of overdosing on lysine...technically it means I'm getting 4 grams supplement form and at least 6 grams from my diet and that would be over the recommended 6 grams a day.

The conscientious scientist Linus Pauling was, I pretty sure he considered the already taken Lysine through diet when recommending 6 grams additional to that by supplementing.

Also for many years supplementing 6 g additional to diet, never had difficulties due to that. But tolerance of individual nutrients is individual indeed. For example despite supplementing so many individual amino-acids (6g arginines, 6g lysine, 3g glycine, 3g taurine, 2g carnitine, 2g creatine, 2g beta-alanine, 2g proline..) I still do need additional protein powders, to keep my serum protein in a healthy range. For an other that could drive protein in serum too high.

Therefore always best with any supplement to start with a relatively low dose, increase gradually over weeks, months and years, and keep watching for symptoms or changes in lab-testing, to be able to adapt individual doses accordingly. A dose good for one, might not be so good for another. And only oneself by observations and experimenting can find that out for oneself.

johnjackson
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by johnjackson » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:47 am

Xdxml wrote:Is there a risk of overdosing on lysine...technically it means I'm getting 4 grams supplement form and at least 6 grams from my diet and that would be over the recommended 6 grams a day.

Im on board with you, as I had a similar question about taking too much proline/lysine.
my question was here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14190&p=54056#p54056

a few years ago, I was in a contest to lose fat, (before I knew about vit C!) and I ate
broccoli and eggwhites
and pretty much nothing else
won <$1000! and lost 50+lbs in 10 weeks, but I had nothing bad happen, and eggwhites are loaded with proline/lysine..

So I"m not undertstanding why there is an upperlimit?
/www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12154.php

medcraveonline.com/JCCR/JCCR-09-00341.php

//riordanclinic.org/2014/02/high-dose-intravenous-vitamin-c-as-a-successful-treatment-of-viral-infections/

lpa
http://www.drkaslow.com/html/lipoprotein_a.html

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 am

To clarify, this statement from the first post is INCORRECT

My concern here is that the forum here recommends not more than 6 grams of lysine during the therapy.

We say that 5-6 grams of supplemental protein is the MINIMUM required for Pauling's therapeutic effect (as an Lp(a) Binding Inhibitor). (If you have the post that seems to imply this amount is a maximum, please post so I can correct/comment.)

On the other hand, johnwen (whom I hope is okay.. haven't heard from him in awhile) did research and found that perhaps about 14,000 mg of supplemental lysine might be a theoretical safe maximum daily lysine dose. (I think this is in the "Its The Dosage Stupid" post in the archive.)

Note: 14 g of lysine in foods (protein) is probably not the same thing, because at these amounts, it is doubtful the protein could be fully digested.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Xdxml
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by Xdxml » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:51 am

Thanks

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”