Heart Attack on Friday

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Heart Attack on Friday

Post Number:#16  Post by pamojja » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:28 pm

ofonorow wrote:I do question the idea that 50% of the population has a serious enough genetic defect to not be able to tolerate folic acid, considering that folate is required for cell division etc. pamajjoa I'm sure you have references, but I wonder if it is something like the defect Hoffer describes regarding vitamin B3 (niacin?) Maybe 1/3 have it, but people react to the missing enzyme differently, ranging from ADHD to schizophrenia .

Because about 50% of the population have genetic defects, which doesn't allows them to metabolize this synthetic form of Vitamin B9 to the active methylfolate fully (via a 5 step reaction).

The extent by which the enzymatic conversion of inactive folic acid to methylfolate is inhibited by up to 50% of the population is indeed individual. A homocysteine test would tell about one's own ability.

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#17  Post by DiverDown2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:07 pm

I got my homocysteine test back Here are the results, Please review and let me know what you think.

CMP14+LP+4AC+CBC/D/Plt 177-462-0271-0
Immature Granulocytes 0 % Not Estab. TNLCA
Immature Grans (Abs) 0.0 x10E3/uL 0.0-0.1 TNLCA
NRBC 0 % 0 - 0 TNLCA
Hematology Comments: TNLCA
Homocyst(e)ine 177-462-0271-0
Homocyst(e)ine 7.2 umol/L 0.0-15.0 MB

Iron 21 Low ug/dL 38-169
Uric Acid 3.4 Low mg/dL 3.7-8.6

Thanks for your time.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#18  Post by pamojja » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:25 am

Homocysteine is optimal below 8-9. Therefore if your low number is again shown on repeated testing, there obviously isn't any problem with your folate metabolism.

You could try and raise your low uric acid with a supplement called inosine (available for example at swansons). But try a lower dose first by taking only a part of capsule. In my own case it shoot up to high with only a little inosine.

Low iron I would first confirm with a whole iron panel. Especially with ferritin, and if available also Transferrin, Transferrin saturation (TSAT), total iron-binding capacity (TIBC), and a complete blood count (CBC). Very often already a lack of stomach acid can hinder the absorption of nutrients like iron.

Low granulocytes could be caused by a number of medications:

• Chemotherapy
• Antithyroid medication used to treat Graves’ Disease, such as methimazole (Tapazole), propylthiouracil, and carbimazole (Neo-mercazole)
• Antiepileptics used to treat epilepsy and seizures, such as carbamazepine (Tegretol) and valproate (Convulex, Depakote, Epilim, Stavzor)
• Antidepressants
• Antipsychotics, such as clozapine (Clozaril, Leponex, Versacloz)
• Antibiotics, such as penicillin
• ACE inhibitors, which are drugs used to treat high blood pressure, such as benazepril (Lotensin)
• NSAIDs - drugs that reduce inflammation and pain
• Allopurinol (common brands include Zyloprim and Aloprim), a gout and kidney stone medication
• Dapsone (Aczone), a dermatitis medication
• Cocaine

Here also important to retest after some months.

The remaining short-hands I can't decipher:

Hematology Comments: TNLCA

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#19  Post by DiverDown2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:21 am

Here is the complete Blood Count ( I gave blood 4 weeks ago ) and Lipids. I will get Whole Iron Panel next week.
They had me on Lipitor 80 mg. for 2 days while in hospital, I had them to change to Crestor 5 mg. but to me I do NOT need a Statin.
My Cholesterol before heart attack was Total 150, HDL 40, LDL 77.
Any please look at labs and give guidance.
Can I take Inosine since I am taking Brilinta?

LDH 171 IU/L 121-224 TNLCA
AST (SGOT) 28 IU/L 0-40 TNLCA
ALT (SGPT) 25 IU/L 0-44 TNLCA
Iron 21 Low ug/dL 38-169 TNLCA
Cholesterol, Total 107 mg/dL 100-199 TNLCA
Triglycerides 56 mg/dL 0-149 TNLCA
HDL Cholesterol 41 mg/dL >39 TNLCA
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 11 mg/dL 5-40 TNLCA
LDL Cholesterol Calc 55 mg/dL 0-99 TNLCA
Comment: TNLCA
T. Chol/HDL Ratio 2.6 ratio 0.0-5.0 TNLCA
T. Chol/HDL Ratio
Men Women
1/2 Avg.Risk 3.4 3.3
Avg.Risk 5.0 4.4
2X Avg.Risk 9.6 7.1
3X Avg.Risk 23.4 11.0
Estimated CHD Risk < 0.5 times avg. 0.0-1.0 TNLCA
T. Chol/HDL Ratio
Men Women
1/2 Avg.Risk 3.4 3.3
Avg.Risk 5.0 4.4
2X Avg.Risk 9.6 7.1
3X Avg.Risk 23.4 11.0
The CHD Risk is based on the T. Chol/HDL ratio. Other
factors affect CHD Risk such as hypertension, smoking,
diabetes, severe obesity, and family history of premature
CHD.

WBC 6.6 x10E3/uL 3.4-10.8 TNLCA
RBC 6.36 High x10E6/uL 4.14-5.80 TNLCA
Hemoglobin 13.4 g/dL 13.0-17.7 TNLCA
Hematocrit 45.5 % 37.5-51.0 TNLCA
MCV 72 Low fL 79-97 TNLCA
MCH 21.1 Low pg 26.6-33.0 TNLCA
MCHC 29.5 Low g/dL 31.5-35.7 TNLCA
RDW 19.5 High % 12.3-15.4 TNLCA
Platelets 310 x10E3/uL 150-450 TNLCA
Neutrophils 76 % Not Estab. TNLCA
Lymphs 14 % Not Estab. TNLCA
Monocytes 9 % Not Estab. TNLCA
Eos 1 % Not Estab. TNLCA
Basos 0 % Not Estab. TNLCA
Immature Cells TNLCA
Neutrophils (Absolute) 5.1 x10E3/uL 1.4-7.0 TNLCA
Lymphs (Absolute) 0.9 x10E3/uL 0.7-3.1 TNLCA
Monocytes(Absolute) 0.6 x10E3/uL 0.1-0.9 TNLCA
Eos (Absolute) 0.1 x10E3/uL 0.0-0.4 TNLCA
Baso (Absolute) 0.0 x10E3/uL 0.0-0.2 TNLCA
This document contains private and confidential health information protected by state and
federal law. If you have received this document in error, please call 800-208-3444.
LIFE EXTENSION / NATIONAL DIAGNOSTICS, INC
FINAL REPORT
6/27/2019 5:49:13 PM
p:2

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#20  Post by pamojja » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:56 am

Not much time to comment at the moment. But my goodness, do you have a cholesterol deficiency! And they topped it up with a statin!?!

Usually LDL goes up with damage to the endothelium to about 130 mg/dl, to provide all the fat-soluble nutrients to the side of damage. Without enough intake this of course fails. - I would as a first step pay attention especial to intake of fat-soluble vitamins (D, A, K, CoQ10). Especially high dose vitamin Ks, available at this place: https://www.k-vitamins.com/ This side also has collected most of the research about the K vitamins.

Usually cholesterol goes up with infections, though in my case the opposite seems true, and my cholesterol rather gets depleted after high inflammation. Did you have your inflammation markers, like CRP and ESR tested?

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#21  Post by DiverDown2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:00 am

I just ordered a complete Iron Panel, CRP and ESR.
Last edited by DiverDown2 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#22  Post by DiverDown2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:03 pm

More test results including PLAC® Test for Lp-PLA2 Activity

Lp-PLA2 Activity 168 nmol/min/mL 0-224 BN
Reduced Risk <225
Increased Risk >224

Insulin 5.7 uIU/mL 2.6-24.9 TNLCA

Triiodothyronine (T3), Free 3.8 pg/mL 2.0-4.4 TNLCA

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#23  Post by pamojja » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Personally was prescribed aspirin and statin. After finding out that statins taken for 5 years with prior heart attack only reduce in 1 out of 84 patients 5-year mortality, and aspirin only in 1 out of 330. No longer term data. I never looked back. http://www.thennt.com/home-nnt/ Better don't ask me about prescription meds, because with the little I know of them I wouldn't take.

This comes up for Brilinta on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticagrelor

Adverse effects

The most common side effects are shortness of breath (dyspnea, 14%)[11] and various types of bleeding, such as hematoma, nosebleed, gastrointestinal, subcutaneous or dermal bleeding. Ventricular pauses of 3 seconds occur in 5 percent of people in the first week of treatment. Ticagrelor should be administered with caution or avoided in patients with advanced sinoauricular disease.[12] Allergic skin reactions such as rash and itching have been observed in less than 1% of patients.[5]

Interactions

Inhibitors of the liver enzyme CYP3A4, such as ketoconazole and possibly grapefruit juice, increase blood plasma levels of ticagrelor and consequently can lead to bleeding and other adverse effects. Conversely, drugs that are metabolized by CYP3A4, for example simvastatin, show increased plasma levels and more side effects if combined with ticagrelor. CYP3A4 inductors, for example rifampicin and possibly St. John's wort, can reduce the effectiveness of ticagrelor. There is no evidence for interactions via CYP2C9.

The drug also inhibits P-glycoprotein (P-gp), leading to increased plasma levels of digoxin, ciclosporin and other P-gp substrates. Levels of ticagrelor and AR-C124910XX (the active metabolite of ticagrelor formed by O-deethylation[13]) are not significantly influenced by P-gp inhibitors.[5]

In the US a boxed warning states that use of ticagrelor with aspirin doses exceeding 100 mg/day decreases the effectiveness of the medication.[14]

For example, I take dozens of blood-thining supplements. But only with one Baby-aspirin I do get instant bloody stool. So the question to me would rather be if Belinda is safe on its own?

Inosine isn't even a blood-thinner, or liver-enzyme inhibitor. However, it raises uric acid, and too high levels of uric acid would come with the risk of gout, which is just as bad as low levels.

https://selfhacked.com/blog/uric-acid-c ... ly-causal/

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#24  Post by DiverDown2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:18 am

After seeing my Cholesterol Numbers from Thursday, I Stopped the Statin!
I am up to 16 G. Vitamin-C (on the way to 18 G.) 6 G. L-Lysine, and 2 G. L-Proline. Taking Unique-E, 1200 mg. Magnesium, and 1 LEF Two-Per-Day Capsules (Multi-Vitamin + Mineral Supplement).
And Eating more healthy fat, and above ground Vegies. No Sugars or Processed Carbs.

I am thankful for all the responses and links provided, Thanks You!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#25  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:24 am

Sounds like the right way to go. Let us know what happens.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#26  Post by DiverDown2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:59 am

Please review Iron Panel Results and inform me what steps I should take

Tests Result Flag Units Reference Interval Lab
Iron and TIBC 184-462-0542-0
Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 335 ug/dL 250-450 TNLCA
UIBC 314 ug/dL 111-343 TNLCA
Iron 21 Low ug/dL 38-169 TNLCA
Iron Saturation 6 ALERT % 15-55 TNLCA

Prostate Specific Ag, Serum 2.4 ng/mL 0.0-4.0 TNLCA
Roche ECLIA methodology.

C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac 184-462-0542-0
C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac 0.50 mg/L 0.00-3.00 TNLCA
Relative Risk for Future Cardiovascular Event
Low <1.00
Average 1.00 - 3.00
High >3.00

Sedimentation Rate-Westergren 184-462-0542-0
Sedimentation Rate-Westergren 3 mm/hr 0-30 TNLCA
Ferritin, Serum 184-462-0542-0
Ferritin, Serum 13 Low ng/mL 30-400 TNLCA

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#27  Post by pamojja » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:29 am

DiverDown2 wrote:Please review Iron Panel Results and inform me what steps I should take

Please understand that it is illegal to give medical advise over the internet, not even a doc could do that without prior physical consultation. All what can be done is saying what oneself would do in such an situation. In this context one has to understand that it is of utmost importance to learn to understand the meaning of one's lab-results oneself. For example, I have collected about 2400 numbers from various lab-tests during the last 10 year. How could I ever expect anyone, even a paid practitioner, to evaluate so many data-points? Or how could my good-hearted GP ever not oversee serious off-values, when he usually sees about 150 patients in only 2 hours? The only way is to get up to speed in learning what all these results individually mean, and in combination.

Also when you have difficulty with your iron stores - which should be obvious even to you - there could still be so many co-factors, it is mind-boggling. And it might take years to get to solve such a deficiency. As in my case with Magnesium-deficiency only once I got Mg IVs. One free resource for conventional lab-test meanings is https://labtestsonline.org/tests-index. One giving most basic functional medicine ranges is https://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols ... ng/Page-01. A very thorough paid service ($ 35,- per half year) is https://www.labtestanalyzer.com/.

I give you the example for low serum iron from labtestanalyzer:

Iron
Also known as:
Iron, Serum

This test measures the amount of iron in your blood.

Iron (Fe) is a metal that plays an essential role in the body. Iron is needed for [R, R, R, R, R, R]:

• Red blood cell production (erythropoiesis)
• Oxygen and carbon dioxide transport in the blood (as part of hemoglobin)
• Oxygen transport and storage in muscles (as part of myoglobin)
• Energy production in the heart and muscles
• Brain development and normal brain function
• Immune system development and immune response
• Resistance to infections
• Production and degradation of DNA

However, blood iron is not a perfect measure of iron status in the body because it fluctuates daily and can increase after you ingest iron-rich foods. Instead, ferritin, transferrin, and total iron binding capacity (TIBC) measurements are better indicators of your iron status [R, R].

Range: ug/dL

Critical < 39.99
Low 40 - 64.99
Sub-Optimal 65 - 69.99
Optimal 70 - 125
Supra-optimal 125.01 - 175
High 175.01 - 350
Critical > 350.01

Low
Your iron levels are below normal! These levels are critical and you should seek medical attention.

A low iron level, combined with low hemoglobin, low serum ferritin, low transferrin saturation, and a high TIBC suggests that you have iron deficiency anemia. This means that you lack sufficient iron to form normal blood cells [R].

Having low iron levels are associated with a higher risk of:
• ADHD [R]
• Depression and anxiety [R]
• Bipolar disorder [R]
• Alzheimer’s disease [R]
• Premature birth [R]
• Lupus [R]
• Thyroid dysfunction [R]
• Heart disease mortality and all-cause mortality [R, R]

The most common cause of low iron is insufficient dietary intake, either due to malnutrition or a vegetarian or vegan diet lacking in heme iron. Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiency in the world [R, R].

Low iron can also be caused by:
• Eating a diet high in foods that inhibit iron absorption, such as phytates (whole grains and legumes) or polyphenols (tea, coffee, and wine) [R, R]
• Endurance exercise [R]
• Blood donation [R]
• Menstrual bleeding [R]
• Pregnancy, which causes increased iron demand [R]
• Childbirth [R]
• Intrauterine device (IUD) usage [R]
• Bariatric and other weight loss surgery [R]
• Chronic bleeding caused by hemorrhoids [R]
• Stomach and intestinal disorders, such as celiac disease, irritable bowel diseases (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis), and gastritis [R, R, R]
• Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SIBO, which is an increase in bacterial count in the small intestine) [R]
• Helicobacter pylori infection [R]

Less common causes of low iron levels include:
• Chronic kidney disease [R]
• Heart failure [R]
• Cancer (colon, rectum, and stomach) [R]
• Parasitic infections (worms and protozoa) [R]

Drugs that can cause low iron levels or prevent iron absorption include:
• H2 blockers (histamine H2-receptor antagonists), such as cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), famotidine (Pepcid), and nizatidine (Axid), which are used to treat gastric ulcers [R]
• Tetracycline (Sumycin), an antibiotic used to treat acne and skin infections [R]
• Cholestyramine (Questran, Prevalite, Cholybar, Olestyr), a drug used to reduce high cholesterol levels [R]

Symptoms of low iron include [R, R, R, R]:
• Tiredness
• Headaches
• Difficulty concentrating
• Pale skin
• Brittle nails
• Hair loss
• Restless leg syndrome
• Chest pains
• Pica (compulsive consumption of non-nutritious substances such as dirt or paint)
• Increased number of infections

If your blood iron levels are extremely low, you should get medical attention right away. People with iron deficiency anemia usually undergo oral iron therapy (150-180 mg/day). Patients with chronic bleeding will need intravenous iron (iron administered through the veins) [R] .

Eating a diet high in iron can help prevent iron deficiency. Foods that contain a lot of iron include red meat, poultry, fish, beans, and green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, kale, and spinach [R].

Refrain from drinks such as coffee, cocoa, green and herbal tea within an hour before or after a meal, as these decrease iron absorption from food [R, R, R, R, R, R].

Milk (and milk proteins) also decrease iron absorption, and should be reduced [R, R].

Refrain from eating too much phytates (whole grains and legumes), as these also decrease iron absorption from food [R].

Avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen – they can cause gut injuries and increase blood loss [R].

Supplements that can help:
• Iron supplements. Iron supplements should be taken with caution and only if iron deficient [R, R, R]
• Vitamin C (increases iron absorption) [R]
• Vitamin A [R]

There you have it: your levels are critically low and should get medical attention right away. And you should not have to ask on a forum, where by law one isn't allowed to give medical advise. But that is sadly the sad state of the medical systems all over this world. As previously stated in my case, supplemental betain-hcl was enough to increase low iron stores. Don't think that would suffice in you case. Where I would try to give all my brain-power to finding the cause for such critically low levels (which only oneself can be aware of), correct all those co-factors. And for the emergency this is, try to find a GP who gives Iron IVs right away.

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#28  Post by DiverDown2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I know this forum is not medical advice I should have asked if this was you how would you handle it.
My Wife (a nurse) thinks it is my diet, and told me to take Vitron-C twice daily until I could see my GP.
My GP is on Vacation until the 8th. then I can see him, I will try to get him to give Iron IV.
I had a ColoGuard test and it Doesn't show any presence of Blood.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#29  Post by pamojja » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Some less known details about iron supplementation: https://selfhacked.com/blog/iron-part-3 ... -decrease/

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#30  Post by DiverDown2 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:30 pm

pamojja:
Earlier on this topic, you said:
"With a heart attack I would at least take all the highest doses recommended for some time."
Would you clarify some time ?____________________
I am taking the highest of all things recommended.
Would it be wise to continue the Highest dosage for years, if not how much would you cut back to ? _________________
thanks

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”