Ascorbic Acid is Giving me Chest Pains

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Ascorbic Acid is Giving me Chest Pains

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 am

sorry to bother you. I have been watching you on youtube for a while and thought that you might be able to help. Ive been taking ascorbic acid powder at first when I got it I took 10 grams in a few cups of water, then 5, then 4, then 2, and then 1 gram in 250ml of water.

I recently have been having chest pains from the ascorbic acid I believe. I didnt know that sodium ascorbate was the better form to take, but I have been taking the ascorbic acid for almost a year. Has this caused any long term damage to me in this form, and or am I getting acid reflux from this is this where the pain is coming from. I feel so sad inside not knowing what ive done to myself.

Since I am not on youtube, I wonder if I am being confused with someone? Perhaps Dr. Levy (who does prefer sodium ascorbate.)

I strongly advocate taking vitamin C as pure ascorbic acid, and only moderating if there are problems such as GERD (acid reflux), in which case, the vitamin C can be switched in part or in whole to sodium ascorbate. Linus Pauling himself added a teaspoon of bicarb (sodium bicarbonate or baking soda) to his drink of 9000 mg of ascorbic acid. See HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER (1986)

I'm not understanding your protocol, are you saying that you have been reducing the amount of vitamin C you take daily, or the amount in a single dose?

Mys guess is that you are correct. You are experiencing acid reflux (at the bottom of your esophagus/throat) and should therefore add the bicarb to your ascorbic acid until your GERD quiets or is cured.

To understand why LOW stomach acid causes GERD - I recommend that book WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU by Dr. Jonathan Wright and Lane Lenard.

I too experienced GERD, and I document how I "cured" it in this forum post
http://vitamincfoundation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11177
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

bluemustang
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: Ascorbic Acid is Giving me Chest Pains

Post Number:#2  Post by bluemustang » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks for the thoughts. Ill just explain more of the pain, basically the pain was after I took ascorbic acid a few hours after and for 24 hours mainly every so often. The pain wasn't exactly in the middle of my chest thats the thing, but I read online that acid reflux can go to your chest bone left or right side? The pain was slightly off to the left, mainly up two inches from where the soft part of your stomach meets the chest bone/ribs/diaphragm, then about two inches left. It was like a shocking pain for a few seconds then it went away. It seems to have calmed down its been about almost 48 hours since I took it, maybe 45 hours. I had a few other experiences with pain, other than that one area, its been ive had a pain in the left side that was more spread out with a bigger area not sure if that was muscle pain or inter rib pain, and a little on the right side far off to the side of both left and right ribs, that one might be the chest wall/between the ribs? I would take 1 gram of pure ascorbic acid from bulksupplements.com put it in 250ml of cold water and drink it without mixing it with anything, but specifically that day I mixed 500mg in 500ml, and drank then had another 500mg in 500ml of water. Also I have been taking ascorbic acid in water for about 7-8 months. I started to stop because it was giving me the pains.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Sincerely,
bluemustang.

Steve Brown
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by Steve Brown » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 pm

In my experience, more than a gram of ascorbic acid in a single dose tends to upset my stomach or cause a burning sensation. To avoid that, I take vitamin C as a 50/50 mix of ascorbic acid and ascorbates. You could switch over to 100% sodium ascorbate, which is non-acidic, until your condition improves. If you do take a large dose of ascorbic acid, I think it is probably better to take it with food, especially foods which are alkaline because of high potassium content. That would tend to buffer the ascorbic acid. In response to the ingestion of food, the stomach secretes hydrochloric acid but also secretes bicarbonate ions into the layer between the gastric mucus and the epithelial layer or lining of the stomach, and that protects the lining from acid.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:23 am

Thank you Steve Brown.

The new "medical medium" based information has caused me to rethink a lot of what I formerly believed, e.g. that we should be wary of Ester-C (an alkaline form of vitamin C that reaches the blood quicker than ordinary vitamin C.) I ask the poster to do us a favor. Take Ester-C and report back.

While our "miraculous" experience with heart disease is almost entirely with "ascorbic acid," and that may still be because of the 3-6 minute entry through the stomach (and not through the intestinal lining on an empty stomach) I may modify my opinion in the future, especially when one is taking vitamin C for ordinary nutritional purposes and for the general prevention of chronic scurvy, e.g., heart disease.

I had mentioned with this poster in private correspondence that I had similar pains while in a hospital that prompted a Thallium stress test. The cardiologist found NO blockages or heart issues, and recommend I come back to see him in Ten years... Later, the pancreatic surgeon discovered my withered and worn out gall bladder full of gall stones... I was probably feeling the pain of these stones.

However, while I now understand what happened to my gall bladder (eating way, way too much fat) I now wonder if abdominal or "stomach" pains that I occasionally experience after a meal, are in fact emanating from the liver! A possibility that I had never considered before.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”