Ascorbic acid and your PH

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Ascorbic acid and your PH

Post Number:#1  Post by DiverDown2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:55 am

Ascorbic Acid has a PH value of approximately 2, Will taking 18 G. Vitamin-C daily not make your body more acid ?
Since we need to be between 7.0 - 7.4

Lemon Planet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Ascorbic acid and your PH

Post Number:#2  Post by Lemon Planet » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:18 pm

I have the same question. I have been taking about 4 g AA every 2 hours for almost the last year and now worry about pH.

I am reading the book "Sodium Bicarbonate - Rich Man Poor Man's Cancer Treatment" and have some litmus paper arriving soon. The body is supposed to get more acidic with aging and give an environment beneficial to bacteria, viruses, fungi and cancer so I am worried.

I know the AA does acidify the urine and must have a way around the kidney's neutralizing ability. I think the acidic urine was believed to be beneficial about Pauling's time except I think he was also using bicarbonate. I can't remember the exact references so that is very uncertain. Now I read where alkaline urine can eliminate bladder infections and even destroy prostate cancer and so plan to try the sodium bicarbonate treatment to see what happens.

I have never considered sodium ascorbate because my stomach has no problem with ascorbic acid. Now I think alternating bicarbonate and AA during each day might be best in my case. I plan to add magnesium chloride powder in water to the routine next week so this is getting complicated.

What is your saliva pH in the morning and afternoon taking the 18 g?
Vitamin C: intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent insufficient ascorbic acid.

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by DiverDown2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:07 am

When i first got my test strips, my Saliva PH was 6.1 and my Urine was 5.7, I started taking 1/2 teaspoon Sodium Bicarbonate twice daily.
Now my Saliva is 7.3 and Urine is 6.8.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:18 am

I had blood pH 5 times meassured because of a COPD diagnosis between 2014 and 2018. Not since, because the COPD improved to a point were no more monitoring was needed. Normal blood pH given was 7.35 - 7.45

2014 7.48
2015 7.48
2016 7.49
2017 7.47
2018 7.43

Average daily intake of ascorbic acid during the 4 years upto 2014 has been 18g. And the 4 years to 2018 25g per day. So my too alkaline blood just normalized with even higher ascorbic acid intake.

However, most are indeed deficient in electrolytes, especially Potassium, Magnesium and Sodium. Therefore always worth monitoring serum electrolytes and supplement accordingly.

For example supplemented 1.9g Sodium, 1,.8 Magnesium and 1.5 Potassium (all elemental) in average daily during the last 12 years to get these electrolytes to optimal range.

Didn't bother with urine or saliva, since I assume that's just the bodies way to regulate. My only 2 urine analysis meassurements in 2015 were accordingly highly fluctuating: 3.8 and 7.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by pamojja » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:42 am

DiverDown2 wrote:Ascorbic Acid has a PH value of approximately 2

Deluted in water the pH will be higher. Also each body oneself produces gastric acid with an undeluded pH equal to ascorbic acid. In one day a whole 1.5 liter (~ 1.5 kg) of it!

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#6  Post by DiverDown2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:17 pm

The body will always try to keep the PH of your Blood at about 7.4, even if it has to pull it from other places.
it is the other places you are measuring with PH Strips.

The pH balance in the body sometimes requires the body to draw from a stored base supply of carbonates and phosphates (usually in the bones), which can negatively affect proper functioning of these systems and structures.

Acidosis, the presence of excess acid in the body’s fluids, is a major factor in stroke, diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, and cancer. An underlying common thread is the inflammation that may accompany unbalanced pH levels.

Some experts believe that the common symptoms of muscle pain, breathing difficulty, and constant fatigue are the first signs of excess acidity. Symptoms of unbalanced pH levels will depend on the source.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by pamojja » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:37 pm

DiverDown2 wrote:The body will always try to keep the PH of your Blood at about 7.4, even if it has to pull it from other places.
it is the other places you are measuring with PH Strips.

Acidosis, the presence of excess acid in the body’s fluids, is a major factor in stroke, diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, and cancer. An underlying common thread is the inflammation that may accompany unbalanced pH levels.

If the pH of the blood is pretty stable neutral - even alkaline as in my repeated blood tests - how could there be at the same time any excess acid in body fluids? -And thereby become a major factor in all the conditons you mention?

On the other hand: How could unstable acidic excreted urine effect those body system inside the body bathed in body fluids of a neutral pH?

It's mutally exclusive.

From wikipedia:

pH in living systems[30]

Compartment pH

Gastric acid 1.5-3.5[31]
Lysosomes 4.5
Human skin 4.7[32]
Granules of chromaffin cells 5.5
Urine 6.0
Cytosol 7.2
Blood (natural pH) 7.34–7.45
Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) 7.5
Mitochondrial matrix 7.5
Pancreas secretions 8.1

The pH of different cellular compartments, body fluids, and organs is usually tightly regulated in a process called acid-base homeostasis. The most common disorder in acid-base homeostasis is acidosis, which means an acid overload in the body, generally defined by pH falling below 7.35. Alkalosis is the opposite condition, with blood pH being excessively high.

The pH of blood is usually slightly basic with a value of pH 7.365. This value is often referred to as physiological pH in biology and medicine. Plaque can create a local acidic environment that can result in tooth decay by demineralization. Enzymes and other proteins have an optimum pH range and can become inactivated or denatured outside this range.

Acidosis is clearly defined as a blood pH falling below 7.35. Nothing to do with urine (where also my testing showed no correlation with). And:

Acid–base homeostasis is the homeostatic regulation of the pH of the body's extracellular fluid (ECF).[1] The proper balance between the acids and bases (i.e. the pH) in the ECF is crucial for the normal physiology of the body, and cellular metabolism.[1] The pH of the intracellular fluid and the extracellular fluid need to be maintained at a constant level.[2]

Many extracellular proteins such as the plasma proteins and membrane proteins of the body's cells are very sensitive for their three dimensional structures to the extracellular pH.[3][4] Stringent mechanisms therefore exist to maintain the pH within very narrow limits. Outside the acceptable range of pH, proteins are denatured (i.e. their 3-D structure is disrupted), causing enzymes and ion channels (among others) to malfunction.

In humans and many other animals, acid–base homeostasis is maintained by multiple mechanisms involved in three lines of defence:[5][6]

The first line of defence are the various chemical buffers which minimize pH changes that would otherwise occur in their absence. They do not correct pH deviations, but only serve to reduce the extent of the change that would otherwise occur. These buffers include the bicarbonate buffer system, the phosphate buffer system, and the protein buffer system.[7]

The second line of defence of the extracellular fluid pH consists in controlling the carbonic acid concentration in the ECF. This is achieved by changes in the rate and depth of breathing (i.e. by hyperventilation or hypoventilation), which blows off or retains carbon dioxide (and thus carbonic acid) in the blood plasma as required.[5][8]

The third line of defence is the renal system, which can add or remove bicarbonate ions to or from the ECF.[5] The bicarbonate is derived from metabolic carbon dioxide which is enzymatically converted to carbonic acid in the renal tubular cells.[5][9][10] The carbonic acid spontaneously dissociates into hydrogen ions and bicarbonate ions.[5] When the pH in the ECF tends to fall (i.e. become more acidic) the hydrogen ions are excreted into the urine, while the bicarbonate ions are secreted into the blood plasma, causing the plasma pH to rise (correcting the initial fall).[11] The converse happens if the pH in the ECF tends to rise: the bicarbonate ions are then excreted into the urine and the hydrogen ions into the blood plasma.

Physiological corrective measures make up the second and third lines of defence. This is because they operate by making changes to the buffers, each of which consists of two components: a weak acid and its conjugate base.[5][12] It is the ratio concentration of the weak acid to its conjugate base that determines the pH of the solution.[13] Thus, by manipulating firstly the concentration of the weak acid, and secondly that of its conjugate base, the pH of the extracellular fluid (ECF) can be adjusted very accurately to the correct value. The bicarbonate buffer, consisting of a mixture of carbonic acid (H2CO3) and a bicarbonate (HCO−
3) salt in solution, is the most abundant buffer in the extracellular fluid, and it is also the buffer whose acid to base ratio can be changed very easily and rapidly.[14]

An acid–base imbalance is known as acidaemia when the acidity is high, or alkalaemia when the acidity is low.

The body has to adjust pH all the times, even as simple as by modulating the speed of breathing. It does that against the acidity of about 1.5 kg of gastric acids. And you're telling me as little as 0.018 kg ascorbic acid could throw it out of balance?

Even after I showed with my repeated blood tests it didn't at all?

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#8  Post by DiverDown2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:42 am

pamojja. No Sir not telling you that.
Blood PH is the Gold Standard!!!
I was just wondering if my Blood PH is Good, Does it Not matter what my Urine or Saliva PH is ?

Lemon Planet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by Lemon Planet » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:01 pm

I just got my pH paper an ran many tests. My urine pH yesterday varied between 5.5 and 6.8 while the saliva pH varied between 5.8 and 7.0 during the day. I saw the pH drop after eating a piece of cherry pie and then go back up later in the day. I checked 10 times yesterday with the test strips.

This morning I tried 1/2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate and the pH went up from 5.8 to over 7 where the strips don't differentiate. I ordered some different strips to show more above pH 7.

I don't know what the numbers signify either. The urine numbers probably just show the acids removed from the body. The saliva should be more useful if done right. The problem of eating and drinking would affect the numbers and getting a good color from the blob of saliva was difficult.

My urine test sent to a lab about a year ago showed a pH of 6.5 after fasting for the testing with a normal range of 5.0 to 7.5. There must be a lot of variation with an average being more useful so one test wouldn't show much. The blood test then checked many things except showed no pH results. That was probably in the normal range then.

Both my urine and saliva react to adding sodium bicarbonate except the blood must stay about the same unless there was a serious problem as explained by pamojja.

I am probably going to continue with the added sodium bicarbonate. A study in India found that to be good for the kidneys and CKD after a 6 and 9 months of supplementation: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32269432/
Vitamin C: intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent insufficient ascorbic acid.

Saw
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by Saw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 pm

I played with the ph paper 10 years ago and with an ultra clean diet
and regular vitamin C dosing (18+ grams/day AA) my urine was always
extremely acid and saliva was extremely alkaline.
Even a Blind Squirrel makes his own vitamin C.

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#11  Post by DiverDown2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:05 am

Lemon Planet,
I used "Justfitter PH" strips from Amazon, they seem to work good and have a large range.
Their web site says the Urine test is more accurate than the Saliva. A lot of info about low PH seems to be the cause of a lot of disease, including Cancer. That is why i got interested in checking and by the strips i was low, now with Sodium Bicarbonate ( 1/2 teaspoon daily ) it stays in the 6.7 - 7.0 range. The next labs i will check Blood PH.

eDOC
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by eDOC » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:34 am

DiverDown2 wrote: Does it Not matter what my Urine or Saliva PH is ?

Correct DiverDown2, yes it does matter. The more apart better. Years ago I checked mine, salivary was +7.0 and Urinary 6.0. ABG was 7.4.

eDOC!!
Rookie, rusty, sub average doc but one that gives results!

DiverDown2
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#13  Post by DiverDown2 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:04 pm

eDoc
Did you ever get a chance to look at my latest Protocol to see if any changes needed?

eDOC
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#14  Post by eDOC » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:19 pm

DiverDown2,
Apologize for the delays, treating COVID is keeping me occupied.
Hopefully would email in a couple of days.
Stay safe and healthy!

eDOC!!

eDOC
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#15  Post by eDOC » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:16 am

DiverDown2 wrote:eDoc
Did you ever get a chance to look at my latest Protocol to see if any changes needed?

New Protocol sent.

eDOC!!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”