Vitamin C and Canker Sores

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

Bettina

Vitamin C and Canker Sores

Post Number:#1  Post by Bettina » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:57 am

Hi, my husband has a problem taking Vitamin C, as he gets canker sores. I
have bought him some buffered C and he can tolerate it a little bit better, but still can only take 500 milligrams per day, even then he has to take breaks. What is your advise?
thank you,
Bettina

davids

Re: Vitamin C and Canker Sores

Post Number:#2  Post by davids » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:11 am

Hi Bettina,

Here is my experience.

Ascorbic acid is like fruit acids. Years ago, when I used to regularly drink 1 to 2 quarts of orange juice every day, I had a friend who said he loved orange juice, but could drink only a couple of ounces of it without breaking out in canker sores [around his mouth]. Since I believed orange juice was [and is] very good for the health of humans, I suggested to him that he drink some each day, starting with just a couple of ounces, and gradually increase the amount on a roughly weekly basis. Well, he got very excited! In less than three months, he was having no problem drinking a pint and even up to two pints a day with no breakout of canker sores [anymore]. I mention this story because I believe your husband would experience similar results with ascorbic acid.

I believe Bettina, that the canker sores are actually a detoxifying process of the body. If it were me, I would do the following: I would ingest whatever amount of ascorbic acid I could [comfortably] each day, and then ingest whatever amount of sodium ascorbate that I could [comfortably] each day. The more doses he can divide the total up into, the more he will be able to ingest, without the "canker sore" reaction. If he persists, I am confident he will gradually see an improvement in his overall health.

Just my view,

David

Return to “Toxicity”