Is this article true?

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

MKaping

Post Number:#16  Post by MKaping » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:06 am

Reality check! There is no magic bullet that will prevent death. I don't know the ages of all those mentioned above, but I think we all know that Pauling lived to be 93. We really are going to die of something, and usually well before 93. Not only did he live to 93...he retained his mental acuity to the end. He has had many detractors over the years, but did any of them come up with a better solution to the health problems he addressed? I will take his way of dying over what I see all around me. Take a tour of a local nursing home...being drugged and tied in a wheel chair to literally drool your way to the end is not my idea of living or dying. I have watched my friends and neighbors spend 20 years dying with the aid of one drug after another for symptom relief...no thanks!

I had one neighbor who was very bitter about having cancer at 76. She said she had done all the things the "health experts" had said would prevent this and that. I asked her how she could know that she wouldn't have had cancer 25 years earlier without doing the things she had done. We all think it can only happen to someone else when we are young.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Back to the Fallacy of Barrett's Argument

Post Number:#17  Post by ofonorow » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:48 am

According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument to the man") or attacking the messenger, is a logical fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by attacking the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself.

As an exercise, I would urge people to review the Barrett article on Pauling and count the number of fallacies, including (ad hominem arguments). The idea of a quack - character assination- is central to "quack buster" strategy.

It is also a fallacy to dismiss Pauling's argument because he may have died of heart disease (he didn't).

If you read Pritikin's books, he specifically recommened AGAINST vitamin supplements. Said they produced expensive urine. Ergo, I was not surprised by Pritikin's early demise.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

davids

Post Number:#18  Post by davids » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:26 pm

MKaping wrote:Reality check! There is no magic bullet that will prevent death. I don't know the ages of all those mentioned above, but I think we all know that Pauling lived to be 93. We really are going to die of something, and usually well before 93. Not only did he live to 93...he retained his mental acuity to the end. He has had many detractors over the years, but did any of them come up with a better solution to the health problems he addressed? I will take his way of dying over what I see all around me. Take a tour of a local nursing home...being drugged and tied in a wheel chair to literally drool your way to the end is not my idea of living or dying. I have watched my friends and neighbors spend 20 years dying with the aid of one drug after another for symptom relief...no thanks!
Hi MK,

If you are not familiar with it, I thought I would share what I consider to be the most inspiring/motivating study [about aging and death], that I have ever read. Personally, I think it borders on the miraculous, but then ascorbate itself, in the proper doses, usually does! It is from Irwin Stone's book, THE HEALING FACTOR - Vitamin C Against Disease:
"Rabbits with both kidneys surgically removed uniformly die in three to four days. If, however, these animals without kidneys are injected with a mixture of ascorbic acid and p-aminobenzoic acid, the scientists state; "The duration of survival was strikingly increased, ranging from five and a half to eight and a half days. Even more striking was the improved condition of the animals during most of the period of survival. They were alert, active, and in most respects behaved like normal rabbits until a few hours prior to death."" http://vitamincfoundation.org/stone/Chap17-22.htm#C22
My view is that this is possible for anyone that wants it [barring accidents].

Best,

David

KENT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Post Number:#19  Post by KENT » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:21 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. For example ,my father hates going to the doctor but when he does he unwaveringly follow their orders. So recently, his medical doctor told him to take an innocent amount of aspirin daily as a means to increase his cardiovascular health and lower his chances of a heart attack. A short time later, when he was in church he fainted, and was rushed to the ER and then taken to ICU and given five units of blood. Apparently, the health promoting aspirin burned holes in his stomach, caused bleeding, loss of blood pressure, and therefore loss of consciousness. Fortunately, he survived and stopped taking the aspirin.

Then a short time ago, my father went to the doctor and complained of a sore right thumb. The doctor gave him free samples of Naprosyn, a common anti-inflammatory medication. In three days, he was back in the hospital and the ICU, and a surgeon was being consulted to do an emergency exploratory operation to find a hidden hemorrhage. One of the side effects of naprosyn is ripping tissue inside the intestinal tract and causing hemorrhaging. Fortunately, after a week in ICU and 17 units blood, the bleeding stopped and surgery was avoided.

Oh yea, my fathers blood pressure has normalize after taking vitamin c . Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

ken

J.Lilinoe

professional drug pushers

Post Number:#20  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:46 am

I remember when I was having some female problems some years ago, my doctor kept asking me if I wanted to start the hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and I kept telling her no over and over again. When those frightening results came out from the Womens Health Initiative that HRT was killing women instead of helping them my doctor told me that the representatives from the pharmacy companies practically threaten them into giving out the drugs. She said the rep told her that if she did not give the HRT, and the woman came down with heart disease that my doctor would be held liable. So basically doctors are professional drug pushers for the pharmaceutical companies. JMO.

JL :x

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#21  Post by Dolev » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:52 am

For example ,my father hates going to the doctor but when he does he unwaveringly follow their orders

That's why it's a major medical decision just to decide to go to a doctor.
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: professional drug pushers

Post Number:#22  Post by ofonorow » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:51 am

J.Lilinoe wrote:I remember when I was having some female problems some years ago, my doctor kept asking me if I wanted to start the hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and I kept telling her no over and over again. When those frightening results came out from the Womens Health Initiative that HRT was killing women instead of helping them my doctor told me that the representatives from the pharmacy companies practically threaten them into giving out the drugs. She said the rep told her that if she did not give the HRT, and the woman came down with heart disease that my doctor would be held liable. So basically doctors are professional drug pushers for the pharmaceutical companies. JMO.

JL :x

For forum readers, there is a profound difference between natural (good) and synthetic (possibly bad) hormone replacement therapy (HRT). As we age, people can experience remarkable benefits from natural HRT. I highly recommend Dr. Brownstein's MIRACLE OF NATURAL HORMONES, 3Rd EDITION - http://www.drbrownstein.com which examines the issue and could be used to train ordinary doctors in "natural" hormones. (Most MDs tell patients they have never heard of natural hormones.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Post Number:#23  Post by Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:39 pm

I would rather trust linus pauling than quackwatch anyday .

J.Lilinoe

HRT

Post Number:#24  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:55 pm

Hello Owen,
As it turned out, I stumbled upon a book in 2002 at Borders written by Dr. John Lee. He was still alive then and also did a newsletter which I immediately subscribed to. Anyway, I followed his idea of using natural progesterone which by the way, cleared up most of the symptoms that I had been having. I then took my new information to my doctor and found that she was actually writing prescriptions for progesterone cream and having the compound pharmacy make it for those patients like me who stumbled upon the information and approached her with their information. So in other words, I had to find out about natural hormones on my own first and approach her with it before she was going to do anything to help me. Unfortunately, she was recommending a very high dose of progesterone cream so I stuck with the one I was purchasing from a company that Dr. Lee had listed in his book. I have had to self-diagnose myself several times already just because the doctors aren't able to help me.
Thanks for your link, I will check it out too.
JL

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Great story

Post Number:#25  Post by ofonorow » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:56 am

Sad, but true. At least your doctor had been preconditioned! Yes, Dr. Lee's WHAT YOUR DOCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT MENAPAUSE is a must read for women. Thanks for the story.[/i]
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

mstill

Stephen Barrett

Post Number:#26  Post by mstill » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:21 am

Our experience with this individual has been very negative.
The Accountant

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Vitamin C Foundation or its members. If you are ill, please seek medical attention.

Return to “Toxicity”