Dr. says stop all Supplements

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

Kay

Dr. says stop all Supplements

Post Number:#1  Post by Kay » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:11 pm

So, what do you do, when you're used to taking Vitamin C in large doses
and your eye doctor schedules surgery a week from now and tells you
to stop "all vitamins and supplements with no exceptions?"

jman

Post Number:#2  Post by jman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:11 pm

I'm just a regular guy but I would ask the doctor why, and ask him for references to the research behind it and read that research myself while comparing it to others. If the doctor refuses or does not provide a clear answer it's time to find a new dr. Plus you can always just reschedule the surgery while your researching his claims. I'm sure there are plenty of other doctors with good customer service that want your business.

Kay

Post Number:#3  Post by Kay » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:49 pm

I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, I can't reschedule it as there is a high risk for retina detachment, and he is one of the top eye surgeons in the state. He's already saved my vision once. Besides that, past experience has told me that all surgeons (at least six that I know of) are going to give the same speel. I knew about Vitamin E, being a blood thinner and I understand that but it is like oh, well, just show up for surgery, malnourished and oh by the way, no water after midnight either, so dehydrated. Its like being told not to eat food with vitamins. Makes no sense. Kind of a mute point at this time since I'm going in Thursday. I just wondered if anyone else was so sick of trying to convince a medical doctor that vitamins are actually GOOD for us.

sigh. I'm frustrated. Thanks for the input, appreciated.

rmb60
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by rmb60 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Doesn't he know about rebound scurvy (or similar?) if a regular high vit C doser stops their VitC abruptly? I don't have the references but others on here would eg David etc.

I won't give you advice but here is what I would do -- and yes its easy for me to say --

Me, I would continue my VitC as normal & even increase it due to the stresses of surgery.
Yes doctor, I've been a good boy and listened to what you've said -- Listened being the operative word !!

These are my views and others may not agree or otherwise.

Good luck.

davids

Re: Dr. says stop all Supplements

Post Number:#5  Post by davids » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:58 pm

Kay wrote:So, what do you do, when you're used to taking Vitamin C in large doses
and your eye doctor schedules surgery a week from now and tells you
to stop "all vitamins and supplements with no exceptions?"

Hi Kay,

Admittedly, you are in a "pickle!" Having an [over]abundance of ascorbate in your system will give much protection from infection and other possible complications, not to even mention promoting faster healing. On the other hand, having an [over]abundaunce of ascorbate in your system will probably necessitate your doctor having to give you much more anesthetic [which he probably would not realize], which will [simply] be using up your ascorbate. http://www.orthomed.com/pain.htm I would say, unfortunately, there is no definitive, i.e. "black and white" correct answer [at least that I am aware of].

IF it were me, I believe I would approach it this way: I would keep up my daily "bowel tolerance" dosage of ascorbic acid until about 24 hours prior to surgery. Then I would stop dosing completely. I would have whatever plans in place that needed to be, to be able to start "bowel tolerance" dosing just as soon as I woke up, e.g. someone to "smuggle" it into me, if need be.

Just my view (and "good luck" on your surgery, Kay),

David

P.S. I would most certainly follow Jman's advice!
Last edited by davids on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by DanSco » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:17 am

My wife was taking about 4G of VitC a day when she went in for surgery. I'm sure that 4G is nowhere near bowel tolerance for her. She woke up in the operating room near the end of the surgery. They hit her with more anesthetic and she did not wake up until she had been in her room for over an hour. I agree with davids, have someone bring VitC into the hospital so you can take C as soon as you wake up.

Kay

C - retina support

Post Number:#7  Post by Kay » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:57 am

I'll be taking my C all the way home Thursday in the car!

thanks everyone. Maybe the build up in my system will carry me through.

I didn't know that about the anesthetic.
I don't want to wake up half-way through!

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by DanSco » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:36 am

Maybe a little bit of a pre-emptive lie might be needed!
You could tell the anesthetist that you are a little difficult to sedate and that you woke-up early after surgery once before.
That might make them pay more attention to what they are doing.
-DanSco

Note: I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one on the internet. Do not duplicate what I do without a pat on the head from your doctor and a note from your mommy.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#9  Post by Dolev » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:03 am

Bless you Kay, good luck!!
Dolev

Lab Rat

G.W.S.

Post Number:#10  Post by Lab Rat » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:18 am

Hi Kay,

Kay

Post Number:#11  Post by Kay » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks, that is so nice. I guess a week without supplements won't do me in. But I will make up for it. :)

SEADOG

Post Number:#12  Post by SEADOG » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:03 pm

God Bless Kay

Get well soon and let us know your welfare.

We are all praying for you

1THooks

Post Number:#13  Post by 1THooks » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:38 am

This is from Dr.Cathcart's site:

"The effect of ascorbate on anesthetics should be studied. Barbiturates and many narcotics are blocked,so their use as anesthetic agents will be limited when ascorbate is used during surgery"

Your Doctor might be concerned that if your body is saturated with ascorbate and other vitamins going into surgery,it might affect the anesthesia used for your surgery.

Good Luck

Kay

Post Number:#14  Post by Kay » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:17 pm

Thank you both and that's very kind of you. I've been drinking Orange Juice
all day long. :)

Return to “Toxicity”