Yet another bowel tolerance thread

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

randian

Yet another bowel tolerance thread

Post Number:#1  Post by randian » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 pm

I've tried 2500mg (1/2 tsp) per dose, but 2.5 hours later that resulted in an urgent, but not OMG RIGHT NOW, bowel movement accompanied with a nasty smelling water discharge. I figured I had exceeded my bowel tolerance for a single dose. I'm jealous of you guys who are taking 8-10g C in a single dose.

Currently trying ~1250mg (1/4 tsp) per dose, every two hours, 8x a day = 10g/day total. Rather annoying, would have preferred 2.5g every 4 hours to get 10g, much more convenient that way.

What I find most annoying is the constant sense of bowel pressure, which gets worse as the day wears on (and disappears after a night's sleep). It feels like I always have to defecate, when some "testing" indicates I don't. Is there any way to moderate this? Is it a sign I should lower the dose?

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Yet another bowel tolerance thread

Post Number:#2  Post by davids1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi Randian,

As "grist for your mill," my experience in the beginning was that, month by month, my bowel tolerance very gradually increased. I hypothesize that is because my GI Tract was being cleaned out. I encourage you to "hang with it" and try and divide your doses into as many as is practicable. I occassionally even take some at night when I get up to urinate.

Best of success to you,

David
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm

randian wrote:I've tried 2500mg (1/2 tsp) per dose, but 2.5 hours later that resulted in an urgent, but not OMG RIGHT NOW, bowel movement accompanied with a nasty smelling water discharge. I figured I had exceeded my bowel tolerance for a single dose. I'm jealous of you guys who are taking 8-10g C in a single dose.

I have to remember the Jaffee C-Cleanse(Vitamin C Calibration) because you hit it fast! Here it is: from 1.5 g to 12 g of ascorbate every 15 minutes by mouth until the person expels water. (http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10632&hilit=jaffee+cleanse) One woman I have been working with got up to 60 grams before she "expelled water." Jaffee's explanation for your small intake might be that you are "healthy."

Currently trying ~1250mg (1/4 tsp) per dose, every two hours, 8x a day = 10g/day total. Rather annoying, would have preferred 2.5g every 4 hours to get 10g, much more convenient that way.

What I find most annoying is the constant sense of bowel pressure, which gets worse as the day wears on (and disappears after a night's sleep). It feels like I always have to defecate, when some "testing" indicates I don't. Is there any way to moderate this? Is it a sign I should lower the dose?

My dad hit his limit at 200 mg.
My half-brother around 1-2 grams.
Lypo-C is probably the best answer for the symptoms you describe. And one packet may be the equivalent of 2000 to 5000 mg or more ordinary vitamin C. Take a lower amount of ordinary C, and augment with Lypo-C.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

randian

Post Number:#4  Post by randian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:02 pm

I don't know if my tolerance has increased as davids1 suggests, or if I'm getting sicker (albeit symptom-free) despite the extra C in my system, but I've been able to tolerate 2.5g doses 4-5 hours apart for a couple of days now. The sense of bowel pressure has reduced too, though unfortunately not gone. Still keeping at 10g/day total, can't really push it during the work week for obvious reasons.

randian

Post Number:#5  Post by randian » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Went to the dentist today, looks like I have raging gum infections. That could explain my increasing bowel tolerance.

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”