tolerance levels when mixing Vit C with food vs. fasting

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

c_buzzin

tolerance levels when mixing Vit C with food vs. fasting

Post Number:#1  Post by c_buzzin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:26 am

I’ve begun to ponder and wonder if “tolerance” is reduced when mixing Vit C with food due to the active digestive process. When there is a meal consumed and being processed in the bowels and mixed with large quantities of VC, is the absorption of VC reduced due to competition for absorption with the other contents in the bowels?

Historically, even when I’ve been sick (with a cold or flu), I’ve experienced (mostly) massive gas and diarrhea if I consume more than 12-15 G of AA – but I’ve continued to eat meals; I've never tried it with fasting.

The next time I get sick with a cold or flu and want to “spike” ascorbate levels for maximum effect, I’m planning an experiment where
(1) I’ll “flush out” the bowels with massive AA, then
(2) slow down the bowels with Imodium AD (see http://vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1125), then
(3) fast for a couple of days (or as long as necessary) to minimize bowel activity while I
(4) continuously load up with AA (ascorbic acid) to tolerance, to
(5) see how long it takes to eliminate the symptoms.

Just curious – thoughts, anyone?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Thirst for Knowledge

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Looking forward to your report I can think of more reasons why tolerance would be lower with meals, but we really don't know.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Cis4me
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

bowel tolerance & fasting

Post Number:#3  Post by Cis4me » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:35 pm

It has been my experience that I can tolerate the least on an empty stomach. For example I can't tolerate more than about 2 grams at once on an empty stomach in most cases. I can probably tolerate roughly twice that if it is dissolved in water and I drink it over the space of 45 min. to 1 hour.

After reading H & R's Ascorbate book, stuff from Cathcart and others I've settled on an average interval between doses of about 4 or 5 hours and if I start feeling like I need more, I try to take it more often (every 10 min. to 2 hours or so) staying at 4 grams or less per dose whenever practical.

Most of my experience has been with ascorbic acid in water, with some plain water afterward to make sure it all get off of my teeth. I think I can tolerate a little more when I use tablets, but the effect is not nearly as rapid or consistant.

BimLanders

Post Number:#4  Post by BimLanders » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:27 am

I would think that the fasting would do you harm during an illness. Just saying. And perhaps the effectiveness of AA would be reduced even with a higher bowel tolerance if you weren't eating any food for two days or so. Anyways, it's always been my experience that vitamin tablets on an empty stomach effects the stomach more, so it could even decrease bowel tolerance.

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”