Vitamin C Dosage

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

wfleitz

Vitamin C Dosage

Post Number:#1  Post by wfleitz » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered but I haven't found a simple answer:

I just started taking Vitamin C (ascorbic) and am trying to determine my dosage. I started by taking 2 grams day one, 3 grams day 2, 4 grams day 3 and today I took 5 grams (spread out in 1 gram doses throughout the day). Today I noticed significant bowel loosening. What is the best practice here? Should I continue adding another gram a day or have I reached my limit? I read the Titrating articles but I didn't quite understand the methodology there. Any suggestions would be helpful.

One additional quick question: What are safe limits for Vitamin E?

Thanks!

davids

Re: Vitamin C Dosage

Post Number:#2  Post by davids » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi wfleitz,

You are on the right tract. The "bowel loosening" is "telling" you that some of the ascorbate is not being absorbed in the stomach and/or intestines, and has been passed on to the colon. Essentially, you are at your "bowel tolerance" limit for that moment. If you continue taking a "bowel tolerance" dose daily/hourly, you will find your "bowel tolerance" limit will gradually increase, which to my way of thinking, is a good thing [healthwise]. Also, do not be [too] concerned with the "bowel loosening." This is almost assuredly a good thing for your health (for a while, at least), just as an enema and/or colonic is a good thing, i.e. cleaning out the accumulations that our "normal" ["civilized"] diet leaves behind.

Also wfleitz, realize that your "bowel tolerance" limit is not something you find just once and then just stick with that amount. Mine varies significantly from day to day, mostly depending on what I eat, e.g. more raw food equates to a lower "bowel tolerance" limit and more cooked and heavy protein type foods leads to a higher "bowel tolerance" limit [that day].

As to vitamin e, I don't claim much expertise or experience (I've taken 400 iu of "synthetic" vitamin e a day for at least 20 years). The little reading I have done would tell me that anything up to 1,000 iu per day would be completely safe (and much higher doses may also be safe). Also, if you are taking "natural" vitamin e, i.e. with all of the tocopherols, I understand it has about a 50% greater vitamin e activity in the human body [than the "synthetic"] (but you'll generally pay at least 75% more for it). I suspect there are others in this forum with much more knowledge and/or experience on vitamin e than I.

Best wishes,

David

wfleitz

Post Number:#3  Post by wfleitz » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Thanks very much David. That is precisely the information I was seeking--a clear and concise answer. It is very much appreciated!

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”