Increased fever on vitamin c therapy for the common cold?

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

BimLanders

Increased fever on vitamin c therapy for the common cold?

Post Number:#1  Post by BimLanders » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:42 am

My girlfriend an I have been taking large doses of vitamin C for about six months now. Since then many people around us have been getting sick, but so far we've escaped unscathed. However, recently my girlfriend went through a very stressful situation and she caught a cold. Lack of sleep and stress, I feel, contribute heavily to whether one gets sick regardless of vitamin c or nutrition. She came down with some symptoms, so I told her to megadose, but she ended up taking only about three grams in a six hour period, so it wasn't enough to stop the virus. The next day she was too weak to leave bed and she didn't eat much. However, I gave her vitamin C and some other vitamin supplements, and fish oil throughout the day.

Here's what's interesting: she had fevers on and off all day. Now a fever is a sign that your body is fighting the infection, and this is happening on the first day of the cold. The very next morning she called me and was so excited; she reported, "I feel almost completely better! This has never happened to me before (getting over a bad cold in one day), what do you think it was?"

I think it was the vitamins; I really do. Plus, I megadosed liked crazy during this time and I failed to catch her cold, despite the fact that she was in MY BED all day!

Has anyone else experienced an increase in fever while using vitamin C to rid yourself of a cold? I think that the immune system went into overtime and so the experience was more intense than it would have been if the body got rid of the cold over the period of a week rather than one day.

Kathy

Post Number:#2  Post by Kathy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:56 pm

My grandfather has been in the hospital and in and out of ICU with surgical recovery and post-surgical infection for the past week and as a result my mother and I have been exposed to all sorts of infection while visiting him. Both my mother and I both started having little body aches and sore throats and suspected a few days ago that we had picked something up, but we were both in denial. Yesterday, I finally decided I needed to do something and doubled my vitamin C intake (from about 25g to 50g). I then got a fever and felt the worst I've felt with this illness. But, today I'm starting to feel much better. My mother, on the other hand, didn't take extra C because she was feeling the illness more in her stomach than I was. She is sicker today than she was yesterday. I'm forcing C on her, but moms don't always like to listen to their daughters. ;)

BimLanders

Post Number:#3  Post by BimLanders » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:57 am

I still haven't caught a cold. Maybe it's also because I haven't eaten processed (commerical/packaged/boxed/un-food) in about a month. Eating real food seems to help a lot.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

What about vitamin D?

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:31 am

BimLanders wrote:I still haven't caught a cold. Maybe it's also because I haven't eaten processed (commerical/packaged/boxed/un-food) in about a month. Eating real food seems to help a lot.

I'm curious - are you also supplementing vitamin D3? (My family now is, and while those around us all are getting sick, or sicker, we seem to be faring remarkably well. Of course, the global warming has hit Chicago. We had a balmy 50 degrees yesterday)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

BimLanders

Post Number:#5  Post by BimLanders » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:52 am

Both my girlfriend and I take cod liver oil (Carlson's) daily. She got sick, but I didn't. However, she is somewhat overweight and rarely exercises. I have a feeling that this fact lessens the effectiveness of supplements in avoiding disease.

Kathy

Post Number:#6  Post by Kathy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Both my mother and I also take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil also (she takes 1 softgel per day, I am up to 3). I'm overweight, but she's on the low end of normal. Neither of us currently excercise, but she's a naturally active person with lots of nervous energy. I don't have nervous energy, but I did exercise heavily for a decade or so (jogging 10+ miles per day & lifting weights etc.). I suspect that even several years later some of that is still with me as I am still heavily muscular.

We're both much better today.

BimLanders

Post Number:#7  Post by BimLanders » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:19 am

I (proudly) work a manual labor job. I count that as exercise. ;)

BimLanders

Post Number:#8  Post by BimLanders » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:24 am

Spoke too soon. I got my cold now. You can all laugh! :lol:

I have a sore throat, but it's my only symptom. My nose is trying to get stuffy, but it keeps clearing up after taking more vitmain C. I hope this is a short lived cold. I guess that the virus had too many chances to attack me, since my girlfriend was sleeping in my bed a couple of days in a row when she was sick.

Kathy

Post Number:#9  Post by Kathy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 pm

You bet a physically demanding job counts as exercise. Sorry to hear about your cold. I hope you recover quickly. :)

My illness seems to be a sinus infection, but it's just about gone now.

BimLanders

Post Number:#10  Post by BimLanders » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:46 am

Sore throat gone in one day. My nose is a little stuffy as I wake up today, but I feel better. I took a gram of vitamin C just about every hour yesterday, and also took bee pollen, and two quercetins. Looks like this cold is already going away.

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”