Vitamin C and Gas

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

Vitamin C and Gas

Post Number:#1  Post by Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:34 pm

At about 8 grams a day I produce so much gas that a social life is difficult. ANy solutions? I just wonder that people here who take such large amounts of C, can keep a social life?

davids

Re: Vitamin C and Gas

Post Number:#2  Post by davids » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi Guest,

There is no question this is a challenge, but then nothing in life [that I am aware of] is free.

In my own case, I basically work alone, so it has not been a particularly difficult challenge.

First, you should be dividing your intake into as many doses as you can. This will allow you to better judge when you are approaching your "bowel tolerance" for the moment. When we think of it, IDEALLY we should pass no [ascorbate caused] gas at all (like the animals), because we could just take the exact [maximum] amount that we could absorb at that time. But of course, this ideal is not available, and so [therefore] the "bowel tolerance" method of determination.

Besides this fairly easy solution, I've thought a fair amount about [other] solutions to this problem, and here is how I would (and do ocassionally) approach it: On the days when it is inconvenient and/or inappropriate to be "passing [much] gas," take [most of] your ascorbate at night. That is, try and take the bulk of your ascorbate in any 4 to 8 hour "window," in each 24 hours, during which flatus will not be an unacceptable problem.

Also, as you persevere, you will [probably] find that it will take more and more ascorbate, to create the same amount of gas, i.e. your "bowel tolerance" will increase. Therefore, just continue to take the amount that works overall, i.e. that creates no more than an acceptable (for you) amount of flatus, and you should be able to approach and maintain a [relatively] high level of health.

I hope this helps.

David

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:09 am

Anonymous wrote:At about 8 grams a day I produce so much gas that a social life is difficult. ANy solutions? I just wonder that people here who take such large amounts of C, can keep a social life?

Some things I have learned from the 1976 Sherry Lewin book VITAMIN C: Its Biology and Medical Potential.

#1. Take your vitamin C away from carbohydrates and with protein (an amino acid). Carbs in the gut can speed the breakdown of the vitamin in the gut before it is absorbed. Lewin says that protein (amino acids) chelate the vitamin in the gut and aid its absorption.

#2. I don't know what methyl-celluse is, but Dr. Sherry Lewin specifically recommended it (1976) for those taking high ascorbate and developing gas. From pg. 160, Section 7.7.7.4 Gastrointestinal Effects and Discomforts he writes

Sherry Lewin wrote:"Many individuals do not seem troubled by gas formation in spite of administration of high quantities of ascorbate. However, I have noted that those who are often so affected find respite when the vitamin is administered with meals, and particularly when they take methyl-celluose (c. 2.5-3.5 g three times daily); both gas formation and discomfort are reduced to acceptable or barely noticeable levels.

He goes on to say that the other way to reduce gas is to reduce the single dosage, and take smaller doses more frequently.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Post Number:#4  Post by Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:07 am

I take 2.7 grams three times daily with meals. Has anyone here experienced with methyl cellulose?

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by DanSco » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:22 am

I find that a tablespoon of Angostura Aromatic Bitters in a small glass of water cuts the gas quite well for a few hours. I do this when gas would really be a problem, like dentist visits or going to the movies.
-DanSco

Lab Rat

Methylcellulose MC

Post Number:#6  Post by Lab Rat » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:02 pm

I'm not gonna try it.
You try it.
Let's get Mikey!

MC is used by commercial food preparers as a thickinging agent. See: Great Vista Chemicals.

It probably binds up VC (and other nutrients) reducing the amount a body can absorb. If so, it would essentially reduce the VC dosage reducing the ususal flatulance. The bound VC could then be eliminated without receiving any physiological effect.

rmb60
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by rmb60 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:25 pm

#1. Take your vitamin C away from carbohydrates and with protein (an amino acid). Carbs in the gut can speed the breakdown of the vitamin in the gut before it is absorbed. Lewin says that protein (amino acids) chelate the vitamin in the gut and aid its absorption.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The GAS-KING returns. :oops:

Raw fruit = carbs ? + lots of Vit C = emmitus gaseous volumous carefulous :D

Is this one gas or something more embarassing ? :shock:

I'll try my Vit C with protien WPI ( Whey Protien Isolate 95% powder ) on an empty stomach and see how it goes.
Maybe 15 grams Ascorbic Acid powder, 10 grams WPI, 5 grams L-Lysine powder to a 250ml glass of water.

I average 60 grams Vit C powder a day at 20grams a time but sometimes 10grams at a time depending on the severity of my CFS at the time.

Its better to take smaller doses more frequent - I know - but often I NEED the larger amounts to provide the delayed temporary symptom relief.

rmb60
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by rmb60 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:37 pm

DanSco wrote:I find that a tablespoon of Angostura Aromatic Bitters in a small glass of water cuts the gas quite well for a few hours. I do this when gas would really be a problem, like dentist visits or going to the movies.
-DanSco

http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk/TannersS ... e%5Ftest=1

44.7% pink gin alcohol -- Would you really care where you went or how much gas escaped ? 8)

Or were you refering to some other product ?

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bitters

Post Number:#9  Post by DanSco » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:21 am

http://www.angostura.com/flash/bitter.shtml

The Angostura Bitters do contain some alcohol. The bitters have such a strong flavor that I doubt that anyone with functioning tastebuds would ever ingest enough of it to get drunk!! Personally, I do not drink. The only alcohol I ingest is a tablespoon of Angostura Bitters, maybe once or twice a month. Also, I do take one small sip of Champagne to toast the bride and groom whenever I go to a wedding, usually once or twice a year.
-DanSco

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”