Vit C + Magnesium Hydroxide = much less gas

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

rmb60
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vit C + Magnesium Hydroxide = much less gas

Post Number:#1  Post by rmb60 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:09 am

For those who are interested.

This is the 5th day of doing the following.

15 grams of Ascorbic Acid powder at a time was previously causing me problems with excess gas.

Using Digital Jewellers Scales. I now mix 1500mg of pure Magnesium Hydroxide powder with 15grams of pure Ascorbic Acid powder into 250ml of warm water & stir for about a minute then drink the lot on an empty stomach.
I have done this 4 times a day so far.

For me, gas has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced.

Magnesium Hydroxide = 41.7% elemental magnesium
1500mg of Magnesium Hydroxide = 625mg of elemental magneium

Material read suggest that the body has trouble digesting over 200mg of Magnesium at a time.
I obviously am exceeding my RDA of Magnesium & will slowly reduce the amount per dose over the next few days.

Excess magnesium = much softer stools.

Milk of Magnesia is 8% magnesium hydroxide in pure water if you cant get or dont want to use pure powder.

The above solution appears to be Magnesium Ascorbate which can also be bought if desired.

So far its seems to be a very good way of reducing gas, getting good levels of magnesium & Vit C.

Any feedback is welcome/encouraged.

davids

Re: Vit C + Magnesium Hydroxide = much less gas

Post Number:#2  Post by davids » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:08 am

Hi RM,

Just some thoughts here.

Sodium Ascorbate has 131 milligrams of sodium per 1,000 millgrams of ascorbic acid and calcium ascorbate has 114 milligrams of calcium per 1,000 millgrams of ascorbic acid. http://www.oralchelation.com/faq/data/data7.htm From these ratios, I am guessing that to produce "full blown" magnesium ascorbate you would need approximately 3 times the amount of magnesium hydroxide you are currently using [per 15 grams of ascorbic acid]. However, from my view, I think the potion you are currently mixing would be a more potent antioxidant than the "full blown" magnesium ascorbate.
"I have not been able to achieve the ascorbate effect with mineral ascorbates orally. Mineral ascorbates are fine forms of vitamin C but when you are really sick, the mitochondria are failing in their refueling of the free radical scavengers with electrons. The ascorbic acid carries 2 extra electrons per molecule where the mineral ascorbates seem to carry only one (plus per molecule the mineral ascorbates are heavier due to the mineral weighing more than the hydrogen the mineral replaces). So the mineral ascorbates are not potent enough to accomplish the ascorbate effect. There may be other reasons that we do not appreciate additionally." -- Dr. Robert Cathcart, III, M.D. http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/esterc.htm
My guess RM, is that you are experienceing less gas because you are not getting quite the "health kick" you would be getting from pure ascorbic acid, i.e. you could use less than 15 grams of pure ascorbic acid to produce the same amount of gas that you are producing with your magnesium ascorbate, and still be getting approximately the same health effect/benefit. But then again, you are the ultimate judge of how all this seems to be working for/on you!

Just my view,

David
Last edited by davids on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

rmb60
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by rmb60 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:22 pm

Yes, thankyou that of course makes sense.

I used to mix Soda Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) with Ascorbic Acid to reduce the Gas but was concerned at getting too much Sodium(salt) by doing this.

I've read at different sites, that Ascorbic Acid at the same time as taking magnesium on an empty stomach helps your body to better absorb the magnesium due to a more acid environment c/- ascorbic acid.

So its definitely a balancing/juggling act trying to get your body to absorb as much Vit C as possible while trying to avoid excess gas.

In effect I'll now be using more Vit C (to get the same benfit) to compensate for the reduction of absorption C/- taking it with Magnesium Hydrochloride at the same time.

Thats the beauty of this group, for those that do, we try various ways and report on success/failure and hopefully help others with the way/method they take their VitC.

I tried taking my protien (Whey Portien Isolate Powder) at the same time with my Vit C (15gram protien,15 gram Ascorbic Acid)on an empty stomach to help reduce gas & increase absorption but it almosts taste like vomit.--PASS.

Taking it made me feel sick (nausea). It was worth a try though

Dottore

Post Number:#4  Post by Dottore » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:31 am

A peculiar experience of one patient only: He is following Kurt Oster's recommendation of taking high doses of Folic acid and Vitamin C. You may remember that Oster's theory on xanthine oxidase as a significant cause of atherosclerosis was popular initially about 25 years ago, has fallen into disfavour since.
He added folic acid to his 15-20 gram AA regimen and noticed a cessation of all gas. He then went to about thirty grams, assuming he had found the cure for the bowel tolerance
"nuisance" only to be confined to the throne for some time. This was about 3 weeks ago and his folic acid intake is 40 mg twice a day. A hefty dose as recommended by Kurt Oster.
Any ideas?
Dottore

davids

Post Number:#5  Post by davids » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:26 am

Hi Dottore,

From what you described, it sounds like the ascorbic acid is treating the folic acid as a toxin. I am in no position whatsoever to pass any judgement on whether folic acid [in megadoses] is "good for you," i.e. beneficial for atherosclerosis, but if he really wants to get the "full effect" from the folic acid, he may want to try taking it as "far away" as possible from the ascorbic acid. "For my money," I assume the ascorbic acid alone [at daily "bowel tolerance" doses] is all he would need to prevent and even reverse atherosclerosis.

Just my view,

David

Dottore

Post Number:#6  Post by Dottore » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Interesting thought, David. I believe that between the theories of Oster and Kilmer McCully, meaning the Xanthine Oxidase and Homocysteine hypotheses lies the truth. Somewhere.
In either scenario , folate is required. While 3 mg of folate per day will drop Hcy in most people and 80 mg is a humdinger of a dose, I see that the effect on the endothelium seems to be a positive one if folate is supplied.
Well, the jury is still out though I hesitate in recommending that he separate the doses of folate and ascorbate as ascorbate seems to be required for utilisation of folic acid.

Best wishes
Dottore

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”